Bobby "Slick" Leonard To Be Introduced Into HOF By Bird

2 posters

Go down

Bobby "Slick" Leonard To Be Introduced Into HOF By Bird Empty Bobby "Slick" Leonard To Be Introduced Into HOF By Bird

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:58 am

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/08/06/bobby-slick-leonard-into-hall-of-fame/#!bxY4OA

Bobby "Slick" Leonard To Be Introduced Into HOF By Bird LeonardFuriousRef

Bobby “Slick” Leonard to be presented into Hall of Fame by Bird and Daniels
by Ben Gibson 1d ago

Bobby “Slick” Leonard will finally be getting his due on Aug. 8th when he’s inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame with the Class of 2014. The three time ABA champion coach and Indiana native will be presented into the Hall on Friday by Larry Bird and Mel Daniels.

In case you need a quicker refresher, Slick hit the game winning free throws to give the Hoosiers the 1953 NCAA championship before going on to coach the Indiana Pacers to three ABA titles in 1970, 1972, and 1973. He recently was the subject of Bobby “Slick” Leonard: Heart of a Hoosier, a documentary by Ted Green. Leonard has a 574-534 record as a basketball coach.

If you really want to dig into the legend of Slick, read Mark Montieth’s two-part story on Pacers.com.

It’s one of his favorite sayings, advice awarded to so many players over so many years that it comes back to him like an undying echo.

“Don’t get off the bus.”

It’s Slick Leonard’s way of reminding NBA players to stay in the game, in whatever capacity they can, for as long as someone will have them, because they’ll never find a job as exciting as being employed in basketball. You can own a business, you can work 9 to 5 for someone else, maybe you can do absolutely nothing for the rest of your life, but why would you do that when you can be paid for being in basketball? Play it, coach it, broadcast it, scout it, administrate it, hell, sweep up after it if you have to, but don’t get off the team bus. Even if you’re only metaphorically riding it.

Many of the players on the receiving end of all those little advice assists over the years bring it back to him when they see Leonard at games today, regardless of what they’re doing in the game and who’s paying them to do it.

“Hey, Slick! I’m still on the bus!”

Mel and Bird won’t be the only Pacers presenting on Friday as Chris Mullin will introduce both Mitch Richmond and Sarunas Marciulionis. Bird will also be presenting former commissioner David Stern.

bob
MY NOTE:  The bold are mine.  Also, Chris Mullins (another one of those tweeners that make it big that I have a complete blind eye to because I just don't seem to get the advantage of someone who can't compete at their position straight up) introducing Sarunas Marciulionis.  Sarunas, if you don't remember, was a brutally physical guard.  We always talk about Jerry Sloane's playing days and how he would just beat you black-and-blue from the non-stop contact he'd lay on you.  Well, that was Sarunas on offense.  Trying to stop him coming down the lane hurt.  Still, with only 7 seasons in the NBA I'm surprised he's going into the HOF.  I'm ok with having a corner set aside to recognize players or groups of players who are "firsts" (first African-American players, first European players, etc) but as individual players?  I think your individual numbers should earn that individual selection.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bobby "Slick" Leonard To Be Introduced Into HOF By Bird Empty Re: Bobby "Slick" Leonard To Be Introduced Into HOF By Bird

Post by beat Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 am

Still, with only 7 seasons in the NBA I'm surprised he's going into the HOF.

Bob

Remember it is the BASKETBALL HOF not an NBA HOF

(perhaps there should be an NBA Version.)

I forget that many times myself.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down