Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value?

4 posters

Go down

Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value? Empty Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value?

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/08/sq14-16-does-brandon-bass-have-hidden.html

Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value? YinYangBasketballgreenSQ

I have been an ardent supporter of the move-Bass crowd, but perhaps I’ve overlooked some silver linings.  The dark cloud is his robbing the two young, developing power-forwards-of-the-future of playing time.  However, his presence can serve as the stick for the youngsters to motivate them to take the right steps to improve.  Suppose Sullinger comes back with a physique more like Big Baby than Brandon Bass.  Does Stevens grant him a splintery seat on the bench as a message to improve his conditioning, rather than a lenient well-play-yourself-into-shape?  If Kelly fails to enhance his physique so as to be better able to vie for rebounds, attack the rim, and cover stretch forwards at the perimeter, does Brad allow him to observe Bass demonstrate these feats while Olynyk sits next to the water boy?  Might a couple of nights on the bench ratchet up the attention level of the youngster to his coaches speaking points?

Bass’s expiring contract would combine with those of Anthony and Thornton to clear some $20M in salary going into next off-season.  Meanwhile he would be a veteran presence and excellent example of a hard worker to maximize his talent.  By all accounts he is a great locker room guy although my fear is that this positive could flip 180 degrees if his playing time is cut significantly (as I think it should be).  He can be a good example for the young guys or go all Bogans on Stevens and have to be quarantined.

If one of our rotation big men is injured, I sure prefer Bass to fill in rather than Anthony.  An interesting thought is if I got my wish and Danny magically moved Bass and Anthony for a TPE, a second round pick, and a lemon cupcake, who would be added to the roster in their stead?  Right now I think the most likely replacements would be camp invitee Mike Moser and last year’s second round pick Colton Iverson.  That is certainly not a Wow! The question is whether the drop in talent would be offset by a rise in potential?  Maybe that depends on what players become available as teams make their cuts in late October.  Or maybe it depends on your opinion of whether the Celtics should be playing for the lottery or for growth and playoff experience.

Finally, you have to ask yourself, say some contending team loses a critical power forward this winter, is Bass going to be attractive enough to a contender that his value blooms around the trade deadline?  Is this likelihood greater than the value of an additional roster spot and potentially getting below the Luxury Cap if he is moved?

bob
MY NOTE:  I have been an ardent member of the "I LOVE BASS" crowd, so I don't understand this "hidden value" premise.  I think Steady Eddy's value is right out there where you can't miss it.  He is one of the most reliable mid-range jumpshooters in the league.  His 2pt fg% is 48.6%.  

By comparison, LaMarcus Aldridge's is 46.1%, David West's is 49.1%.  He is a physical specimen who plays good defense man-to-man, sometimes against much taller players, and is an opportunistic weakside shotblocker.  That's why he was named, by the Celtics, their 2014 DPOY.  

With 1.4assists/36mpg he's not quite the "No-Pass Bass" as some say and, with only 1.6TO/36mpg, he doesn't hurt you much either.  By comparison, Indy's David West has 1.9TO/36, LAC's Blake Griffin is 2.8TO/36mpg, GSW's David Lee is 2.4TO/36mpg.  Yeah, I know that West and Griffin, in particular, have other talents that add value to their game, my point is that Steady Eddy doesn't make a lot of unforced errors that create empty possessions.  He also doesn't demand the ball to be effective neither.  Other than his two-handed dunks off of his two-dribble-going-left-power-drive and his offensive rebounding virtually all of his offense comes completely and smoothly out of the team's offense.

And that whole "what if Sully shows up fat and Kelly shows up skinny?" thing?  Has he not seen the pictures of Sully looking leaner than he ever has?  Did he not watch summer league and see Kelly's bulked up?  I'm glad he's trying to find reasons for liking Bass, but he's making it a lot harder on himself than necessary.  I've enjoyed some of this guy's writing, and it is the Doldrums so it's hard to come up with interesting stuff to write about that isn't just pure speculation, but overall I'd trade this article for a lemon cupcake, I wouldn't even hold out for a 2nd rounder.

Here's his shot chart.  Yeah, I know all about how GM's are falling in love with "stretch 4s" and Bass isn't one, but he's solid from mid-range and, when he does miss, the rebounds are short.

Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value? 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

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value? Empty Re: Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value?

Post by beat Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Bob

What is the web site you use for these shot charts?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value? Empty Re: Does Brandon Bass Have Hidden Value?

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:25 pm

beat wrote:Bob

What is the web site you use for these shot charts?

beat

beat,

http://vorped.com/bball/

you can type in a player's name in the upper left and it will take them to their page.  If you click on the "Full Shot Chart Tool" below the chart they provide you can play with the charts to see left/right/center, playoffs vs regular season and other stuff.  You can also do it for teams, last 30 days, playoffs and regular seasons.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Bass is really efficient and dependable. On a young team that in itself has value. He's a big upgrade over Big Baby.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:28 pm

I don't call him "Steady Eddie" for nothing.  He apparently has a demeanor that's even steadier than his actions on the floor.

The team is a nice mix of eager youth, accomplished veterans, some chips on the shoulder; and the final roster is unlikely to be somewhat the same.  What they might be a little short on (in addition to a lot of talent) is veterans who represent stability.  Steady Eddie fills the bill.

I'll be happy for him if he stays, and I'll be happy for him if he goes.  He's just that kind of "effort" and "lunch bucket" type of player.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down