Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense?

+3
beat
Sam
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense? Empty Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense?

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:24 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714950/can-the-celtics-play-top-10-defense

Can the Celtics play top-10 defense?
Updated: October 9, 2014, 10:26 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Back in late August, Avery Bradley suggested that the Boston Celtics had potential to be a top-10 defense in the upcoming season. The notion was met with expected skepticism -- or laughed off completely -- by pundits who were quick to note the team's defensive regression to close out the 2013-14 campaign.

Boston did little to address its need for a rim protector this offseason and, still in rebuilding mode, it seemed unlikely that these Celtics would be among the defensive elite.

But two games into the exhibition season, it's worth revisiting Bradley's proclamation. Yes, it's dangerous to read too much into a couple preseason tilts -- particularly against a couple Atlantic Division opponents -- but Boston's increased aggression on the defensive end does make you wonder if the Celtics have a better shot than most gave them at shimmying up into the top third of the league.

It's easy to forget, but before the All-Star break last season, the Celtics ranked 14th in defensive rating while allowing 103.2 points per 100 possessions through the first 54 games. Celtics first-year coach Brad Stevens huddled his team in Phoenix coming out of the February break and challenged them to make ascending to the top 10 a primary goal, only to watch the wheels come off a bit as Boston stumbled to the finish line while ranking 24th in the league with a defensive rating of 109 over the final 28 games.

The Celtics completed the 2013-14 campaign ranked 20th overall with a defensive rating of 105.2. Even still, getting into the top 10 isn't all that daunting of a prospect. Boston was essentially one defended 3-pointer away from the top 10, sitting 2.8 points shy of the Raptors and Wizards (who tied for ninth overall at 102.4 points per 100 possessions).

Since the day the 2013-14 season ended, Stevens has stressed to his team a desire to make defense a top priority, not a surprise when you consider that last season the top 12 teams in defensive rating all made the postseason (while only two teams, Dallas and Brooklyn, made the playoffs while ranking in the bottom half of the league).

As part of two 20-point wins to open the preseason, Boston has fueled itself on defense. According to Synergy Sports' defensive data, the Celtics have allowed a measly 0.729 points per play defended, which is 0.222 points per play better than their final mark from last season.

Make no mistake, that number is certain to climb. But there are positives to pluck from that small sample. Boston's renewed aggression, whether it's putting more pressure on the ball or attacking pick-and-rolls, has manifested itself in opponents' averaging 28 turnovers per game. Those same opponents are shooting just 40.4 percent and have scored on only 34.2 percent of total possessions thus far (that number was 45.1 percent over the course of last year's regular season).

"That's what kind of team we are and that's what kind of team we have to be in order to be in every single game," Bradley said after Wednesday's win over the New York Knicks in Hartford. "Every single night, we have to come out and compete on the defensive end, and I feel like that's what we did Wednesday. Me, Marcus [Smart], and when [Rajon] Rondo comes back, we have to put ball pressure on our opponents, every single night to give us a chance."

Pressure on the ball and in pick-and-rolls has helped diminish the amount of dribble penetration, something that plagued Boston last season. That has taken some stress off a young and undersized back line that hasn't had to help as much early in the preseason.

The Celtics are too young and inexperienced to sustain themselves among the league's defensive elite, but there's certainly potential here to make strides and achieve Bradley's goal. Bradley himself has the desire to make the All-Defense first team, and rookie Marcus Smart has been showered with praise for his NBA-ready defense.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has noted the Celtics are trying to "build a defensive culture." Stevens has referenced a desire to establish a "defensive DNA."

Back on the final day of the 2013-14 season, Stevens said, "We've got to have a defensive DNA to start next season at a little bit different level than I thought we did at the end of this season. I thought we tried to compete defensively early on in the year; I didn't think we made the strides that I would've liked to have made."

Defense was stressed to players throughout the offseason. When veteran assistant Ron Adams departed for Golden State, the Celtics moved quickly to add former assistant Darren Erman, whom Stevens lauded recently for his defensive acumen.

A top-10 defense? It's still much too early to tell. The Toronto Raptors ought to provide a stiffer test for Boston on Friday night.

But there are certainly reasons to be encouraged. And reason to wonder if Bradley wasn't just being overly optimistic about the team's defensive potential.

bob
MY NOTE: It's hard to be a top 10 defense without shot blockers/intimidators. Top 10 perimeter defenders? Yes. Overall? Meh.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense? Empty Re: Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense?

Post by Sam Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:08 am

Top 10 is always an arbitrary figure.  Some years, the #6 team could be just the best of a bad lot.  In other years, there could be a fraction of a point between #9 and #21.  A team might rank well below the top 10 on defense but be such an offensive juggernaut that they still blow away many opponents.  (How are you doing, Don Nelson?)

What really matters is whether they're consistently good enough on defense to keep opponents' point total lower than the Celtics' point total.  And it does no good to have a good defense if the offense can't capitalize on that fact.  I recall moaning, over the past few years, about the number of defensive stops they would make in the stretch only to fritter away ensuing opportunities on the offensive end.

I've been saying, since the start of the exhibition game season, that the Celtics' defense is ahead of the offense.  Then, in only the second preseason game, the offense startled me (as well as the Knicks) not by the total points they scored but by the extent to which it resembled a well oiled machine.

I used to describe the Russell Celtics as embodying the motto, "Oh yeah?"  (As in, "Not on our watch.")  So far this season, I'd say that Kelly Olynyk is a microcosm of this team, as both have the motto, "'Cannot' isn't in our vocabularly."

Sure it's virtually guaranteed that this space ship will hit more than a few meteors along the say.  But it's been many years since I saw a Celtics team that (1) was so immediately likeable and (2) so eager to purge themselves of any barrier to success.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense? Empty Re: Can The Celtics Be A Top 10 Defense?

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:50 am

sam wrote:Top 10 is always an arbitrary figure.  Some years, the #6 team could be just the best of a bad lot.  In other years, there could be a fraction of a point between #9 and #21.  A team might rank well below the top 10 on defense but be such an offensive juggernaut that they still blow away many opponents.  (How are you doing, Don Nelson?)

What really matters is whether they're consistently good enough on defense to keep opponents' point total lower than the Celtics' point total.  And it does no good to have a good defense if the offense can't capitalize on that fact.  I recall moaning, over the past few years, about the number of defensive stops they would make in the stretch only to fritter away ensuing opportunities on the offensive end.

I've been saying, since the start of the exhibition game season, that the Celtics' defense is ahead of the offense.  Then, in only the second preseason game, the offense startled me (as well as the Knicks) not by the total points they scored but by the extent to which it resembled a well oiled machine.

I used to describe the Russell Celtics as embodying the motto, "Oh yeah?"  (As in, "Not on our watch.")  So far this season, I'd say that Kelly Olynyk is a microcosm of this team, as both have the motto, "'Cannot' isn't in our vocabularly."

Sure it's virtually guaranteed that this space ship will hit more than a few meteors along the say.  But it's been many years since I saw a Celtics team that (1) was so immediately likeable and (2) so eager to purge themselves of any barrier to success.

Go Celtics!

Sam

sam,

I've noticed something.  It seems like a lot of the players, especially the younger ones, refer to Brad as "Coach Stevens".  I heard Sully call him that the other day when saying how "Coach Stevens wants them to up the tempo".  Nobody called Doc "Coach Rivers", not the newbies, not even the rookies and certainly not the veterans.  Evan Turner, who has been in the league long enough for the new car smell to wear off, was asked why he chose the Celtics and he referred all the conversations he had with "Coach Stevens and MR. Ainge".  

In a league of egomaniacal men (as opposed to the overgrown boys and BMOC in college) it is unusual to hear that type of deference.  This is not an NBA norm.  I think it speaks well to how well the players are buying into Brad's approach and style.  He is DEFINITELY not Doc.  I'm not saying that in a bad way about Doc, Doc has been COY and won a championship, but Doc was a jokester, had a "one of the guys" attitude because he was a former player and has a reputation for being brutally blunt and honest.  Brad is quite serious, quite laid back (practically prone!) and has yet to single a player out publicly for poor play or even make a joke where the player is the butt of it.  Doc did that all the time with Big Baby (still does).  Brad's way, with the players, seem to be working.  If his system produces obvious results, my bet is that they will become as devoted to him as KG was to Doc.  There are few forces as powerful as faith fulfilled.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Bob...

question?

Did Brad get any T's last season?

beat

I'm too lazy to look it up.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:04 pm

beat wrote:Bob...

question?

Did Brad get any T's last season?

beat

I'm too lazy to look it up.

Beat,

Don't quote me on this, but I believe he got 1.

I remember it because:

1. It seemed so out of character
2. Wallace was ejected in the same game (I don't remember why) and when Stevens showed up in the locker room while the game was still going on, Wallace remarked (in a post-game interview) how surprised and impressed he was. "Welcome to the NBA, Brad Stevens" were close to Wallace's exact words.

And here's a column on it.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/02/brad_stevens_ejected_from_game.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Beat,
Yes, I believe he was even ejected once

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:20 pm

So he got two Ts.  I was so happy to see him get tossed last season because I thought it might light a fire that could be a turning point in the season.  But, while there might have been some latent dynamite in last season's team, the fuses were all missing.

"Practically prone."  My candidate for line of the week.  Great observation, Bob.  What it points to in my book is a combination of team discipline and eagerness to take advice and run with it.  (Literally, I hope.)  After Turner's debacle with the Pacers, he has to be the litmus test for team attitude this season; and so far he couldn't be more exemplary.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:22 pm

If he was ejected as it appears wouldn't that mean he actually got 2 T's?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 pm

In answer to the top-10 question: yes, they seem very good, solid everywhere but at center, and looking better there. I was down on Zeller after game one, expecting more. Against the Knicks however, he improved a bit and Olynyk looks far better all around in this young pre-season. So with Olynyk, Zeller, Anthony, Faverani? at our weakest spot, a promising corps of defensive guards and forwards, and a coach I wouldn't trade for any contemporary, I think we will terrorize other teams.
Ubuntu is back and to my mind, stems from a defensive mindset. On offense, someone scores, another assists, talent usually prevails. On defense, effort and teamwork are critical. Couple that with what seems to be Coach Stevens' policy of playing the whole team, and I think we will be dangerous. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Hawk,

Great comments.  Another point about defense.  Whereas much of offense involves finesse, and trying harder can actually mess up one's finesse, defense is very much about effort and adrenalin, so it's a great catalyst for more effort and adrenalin.

Moreover, defense can keep you in a game until the offense shakes off any malaise and starts to click.

Let's hear it for defense!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Top 10?  Ambitious but I'm afraid probably still a bit out of reach.

I will say that in my opinion they will be a fairly strong team on defense.

Based on several things, including our small pre-season sample, I think this will be an enjoyable group to watch this year.  I expect improved, and improving, defense will be a big part of that.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:27 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:In answer to the top-10 question: yes, they seem very good, solid everywhere but at center, and looking better there. I was down on Zeller after game one, expecting more. Against the Knicks however, he improved a bit and Olynyk looks far better all around in this young pre-season. So with Olynyk, Zeller, Anthony, Faverani? at our weakest spot, a promising corps of defensive guards and forwards, and a coach I wouldn't trade for any contemporary, I think we will terrorize other teams.
  Ubuntu is back and to my mind, stems from a defensive mindset. On offense, someone scores, another assists, talent usually prevails. On defense, effort and teamwork are critical. Couple that with what seems to be Coach Stevens' policy of playing the whole team, and I think we will be dangerous. Hawk

Hawk,

Excellent.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:28 pm

With the sheer athleticism displayed at the wings, this should prove to be a very good defensive team. You don't necessarily need a great interior defender to play effective team defense (i.e. Miami), although nothing can quite replace the impact of That Man In The Middle.

Take note of the turnovers. Forcing the other team into mistakes is the best means of hurting their field goal percentage. Not only will they have fewer opportunities to score during the game, it disrupts their rhythm on offense. Play enough high pressure defense and the other team will fold in frustration.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down