10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter

+4
Outside
beat
hawksnestbeach
dboss
8 posters

Go down

10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter Empty 10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter

Post by dboss Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm

In no particular order of importance.

1.  Rondo should close his eyes on the release.  He should rely on the force.
2.  Rondo should visit a hypnotist
3.  Rondo should try shooting with one hand and keep the other hand down by his side.
4.  Rondo should try taking a jump shot at the line...aka Hal Greer
5.  Rondo should avoid getting fouled
6.  Rondo should try shooting the ball underhanded like Rick and Wilt
7.  Rondo should apply to the league for a designated free throw shooter status allowing him to opt out of any free throw attempts.
8.  Rondo should wear a flexible band around his arms and chest thus keeping them closer to his body when he shoots.
9.  Rondo should should miss every free throw and bum rush the rim for a put back.
10. Rondo should lineup off center and try to bank in the free throw shots.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter Empty Re: 10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm

I like the hypnotist idea, but short of that I'd like to see him take another 2 seconds before he shoots, then shoot it with a little jumping motion. His legs look frozen when he shoots as if he's worried it's going over the backboard. Still, any suggestion above would probably yield better results that 2 for 8. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter Empty Re: 10 Things Rondo Can Do to Become A Free Throw Shooter

Post by beat Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:37 pm

He says he practices? How much?

He needs to shoot 200 a day, and if he was willing to listen to anyone it could be worthwhile. Many of us have pointed out flaws in his mechanics but the "shooting" coach whoever that is, is probably unable to make any significant change.

Short of that I'd have him pull a Hal Greer and use his jumper.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:52 pm

I think the underhand shot would be the best bet. Rather than tinkering with his regular shot, which hasn't done any good to this point, the underhand shot is completely different, and he could be taught from scratch with his ingrained poor habits getting in the way.

By the way, closing his eyes isn't a bad idea.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 pm

No one suggested "Practice. We're talkin' about practice!!"

What's the NBA lowest lifetime FT percentage for a point guard and where is Rondo in relation to that?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm

It's because he ties his left shoe tighter than his right. His shooting side foot doesn't have the same secure grip and then slides, throwing the shot off.

He simply needs to tie his right shoe tighter.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:23 pm

dbrown... found this, look at the comment on the bottom, not mine!

Minimum 500 games, 500 attempts
1.Ben Wallace Attempts: 2679 FT%: .414
2.Chris Dudley Attempts: 1508 FT%: .458
3.Greg Kite Attempts: 584 FT%: .486
4.Dan Gadzuric Attempts: 737 FT%: .498
5.Adonal Foyle Attempts: 707 FT%: .499
6.Andris Biedrins Attempts: 758 FT%: .504
7.Wilt Chamberlain Attempts: 11862 FT%: .511
8.Bo Outlaw Attempts: 1837 FT%: .521
9.Reggie Evans Attempts: 1720 FT%: .521
10.Shaquille O'Neal Attempts: 11252 FT%: .527
Potential Candidate:
DeAndre Jordan Attempts: 789 FT%: .437
For comparison's sake, Mark Price leads all NBA players with a .9039 free throw percentage.

FYI, Steve Nash is now the all-time leader in free throw percentage at .9042.
Interesting that these are all forwards or centers. The worst shooting guard I can find was Slick Watts at .597.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Part of the problem appears to be mental.  The other night when he missed 2 free throws and 1 more on purpose, he was too busy arranging his mouth piece with his tongue.  His attempts appeared  to be obligatory as if he knew they were not going to go in but he still had to shoot them.

If it is at all possible for him to start from scratch that may be the best solution.  Find the perfect form and practice, practice, practice.  Run up and down the court until he is dead tired and go to the line and make free throws.  Video tap his shots,  study them.  find the flaws and correct them.

It is a damn shame that when he goes to the line and the ball goes in I am thinking he made one...Instead of..wow he missed one.

It is up to him to come to terms with his problem and it is up to the coaching staff to help him find a solution.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:07 pm

I still say his main problem is the lack of a soft shot.  The repetitions he gets help some, and his mechanics have improved a bit over time (although it's difficult to imagine him being worse as the line), but he just doesn't have a shooter's feel.  However, it seems there will always be a little of the dart shooter in him.  I wasn't kidding earlier when I stated that, if he wore gloves when practicing free throws, he'd automatically be forced to substitute "feel" for palming in his shooting mentality.  Nestling the ball on the fingertips and pushing, rather than snapping off the shot with a wrist flip is a big key.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Sam,

Great point about using the gloves!

I have used the "gloves" with many of the kids I have coached over the years. The idea is not the 'end-all', but it really does develop some "feel" for a shot that is not a layup. I have even cut the palms out of those soft cotton-like gloves so that kids can tell when the ball is in their palm (a bad thing for shooters) and only controlled by their finger tips.

Wonder if Rondo has tried the glove idea? I bet that it would help his jump shots as well.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down