Sully's Sanctuary: A Late Night Visit To The Gym

5 posters

Go down

Sully's Sanctuary:  A Late Night Visit To The Gym Empty Sully's Sanctuary: A Late Night Visit To The Gym

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 am

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-121414-sullys-sanctuary-late-night-visit-gym

Sully's Sanctuary: A Late-Night Visit to the Gym

Posted: Dec 14, 2014

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
December 14, 2014

WALTHAM, Mass. – The final buzzer of Friday night’s game at TD Garden sounded off at 9:51 p.m.

For most of the 17,989 people who were in attendance, that horn signaled the official start of their weekend. For one 6-foot-9 man who was in the building, however, it signaled the beginning of a long night of work.

Jared Sullinger wasn’t interested in acting like a typical 22-year-old on a Friday night. He didn’t want to join the thousands of fans who spilled out of the Garden and into the local nightlife scene. His plans were quite the opposite.

Following what may have been the worst performance of his young career – a zero-point, four-rebound effort against New York – Sullinger jumped into his car and drove out to the team’s practice facility in Waltham, Mass. He needed to be alone, accompanied only by his thoughts and the sound of his basketball falling through the net.

“I’ve been doing that since I was in high school,” Sullinger said of his late-night visit to the gymnasium, which began no earlier than 11 p.m. “I have a bad game and I used to ask my dad, ‘Can we go to the gym?’ I just get some shots up and just get back to what works for me.”

Under the dimmed lights of an otherwise vacant facility, Sullinger got to work. He fired up hundreds of shots. He honed his offensive skills. He closed his eyes and saw what he should have done to lead the Celtics to a victory against an archrival.

“You almost kind of replay the game in your head and think about opportunities you had to score. You visualize the game,” he explained. “It’s almost to the point where you’re playing a 5-on-5 game with just yourself out there.”

The official time of Friday’s game was two hours and 11 minutes. Sullinger’s personal game in Waltham lasted even longer.

More than three hours passed before the third-year power forward was able to get everything out of his system. As the bars on Causeway Street closed up shop for the night, Sullinger remained on the replica parquet floor, ball in hand.

He did not leave the facility until after 2 a.m.

Strange to many, but normal to Sullinger. This is his medicine. This is how he fixes himself. Isolation; first in a gym, and then everywhere else.

“I turn my phone off,” he said. “I don’t like talking.”

Sullinger, who has scored a total of just 10 points over his last three games, stated that his phone has been completely off for the past four or five days. He hasn’t talked. He hasn’t texted. He hasn’t even tweeted since Dec. 7, which, by no coincidence, is the last day in which he scored in double-figures.

Sullinger hopes to reverse those trends with a strong performance Monday night in Philadelphia. God knows that he has put in the work to make that happen.

While many of Boston’s 22-year-olds were busy at the bars Friday night, Sullinger was committed to the court, his sanctuary. He has known for years that putting in extra work, even into the wee hours of a Friday night, is the best remedy to a funk.

bob
MY NOTE:  This is why I love Sully and have so much hope for him.  He's only 22 years old and he thinks and trains like a veteran.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sully's Sanctuary:  A Late Night Visit To The Gym Empty Re: Sully's Sanctuary: A Late Night Visit To The Gym

Post by dboss Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:31 am

Great work ethic
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Sully's Sanctuary:  A Late Night Visit To The Gym Empty Re: Sully's Sanctuary: A Late Night Visit To The Gym

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 am

He'll bounce back, he still is getting worn cause everytime hes with KO or Bass hes got to defend the 5's, put a Gasol or Bogut or Hibbert next to him and......watch him flourish.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:40 pm

There's nothing I know of that can regain rhythm and resurrect a frame of mind like becoming a solo organic partner with a ball and a rim. There's something reassuring and centering about the familiar sound of the cords welcoming the ball again and again.

"Sanctuary" is the perfect name for the experience. No one can screw with you; it's just you and these inanimate objects—ball and net—with which you have fashioned an unshakeable bond over the years.

Dimmed lights. Who cares? Rain, snow, or mud. Who cares? Just keep hoisting the rock, listen for the comforting whisper of ball through twine, and answer every clank with ten more repetitions.

Go Sully!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:20 am

Very impressive by Sully and bodes well for him hopefully. Being a Coachs son must have helped develop that attitude.

I'm sure most 22 year olds with large amounts of cash in their wallet would be doing something different on. Friday night.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down