Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game...

3 posters

Go down

Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game... Empty Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game...

Post by gyso Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:03 am

Paul Pierce plans to attend the NBA activities. By attending this function when rest is surely the prescription, Pierce may be showing that he does have an "agenda" that is in conflict with the ultimate goal...Banner 18. I hope he changes his mind and stays home for that weekend.

Here's a bit:

Paul Pierce probably will miss the Celtics game against the New Jersey Nets tonight, his second absence since sustaining a mid-foot strain. But Pierce believes his condition is improving, so he could return as soon as Sunday’s game against Orlando, and will almost certainly be involved in the NBA All-Star Game activities in Dallas, having been selected for the Eastern Conference team and the 3-point contest.

Here's a link to the rest of the story:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/02/05/pierce_at_least_will_give_it_an_all_star_shot/

I don't mean to pile on Paul Pierce when he's down, but come on, see the big picture!!

Go Celtics!!! Paul, stay home!!

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game... Empty Re: Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game...

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am

Dont see where being "involved in the NBA All-Star Game activities" means he is going to play.

The NBA probably requires him to attend press conferences, photo ops, parties etc. If he plays extended minutes, I will agree with you....but until we see that, this is a non issue.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game... Empty Re: Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game...

Post by beat Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 am

GYSO

As long as it's just for show photos ect I really don't have an issue but he better not do ANYTHING beyond that!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:16 pm

mrkleen,

I think he wants to participate in the 3 point contest. Anyway it happens, I would rather have him in Boston, go through a normal workouts and have his butt in a Lazy-boy the rest of the time.

I believe the All-Star game is in Dallas, so he would have flights there and back. I suppose he could go directly there from New Orleans. He will be smoozing and on his feet all day.

Directly after the All-Star game, the Celtics go on a west coast trip. Sac Kings, then LAL and Portland on a back-to-back, then Denver, then back home vs. the Knicks, all in eight days. A couple days later, the Cavs. That will be a taxing stretch.

All the Celtics except Rondo should take a pass on the All-Star game, the extra activities and the night life associated with it.

Perhaps adding the "agenda" thing that recently hit the press was a reach. I have learned that the press will often twist the facts to sensationalize a story.

I just think he should stay home.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 pm

GYSO

There are very strict rules related to the NBA All Star Game in the collective bargaining agreement. It basically says a couple of things

Any player selected to play in an All-Star Game shall be required to either play in the game, participate in a skills competition, attend other event conducted in association with such All-Star Weekend, including, but not limited to, a reasonable number of media sessions, television appearances, and promotional appearances.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Section 1(a), (b) or (c) above, a player will not be required to participate in a particular All-Star Game, Rookie-Sophomore Game, or All-Star Skills Competition if he has been excused from participation in the particular event by the Commissioner because (i) he has an injury or illness that renders him physically unable to participate in such Game or Skills Competition, or (ii) for such other reason as the Commissioner may determine in his sole discretion.

If the player asserts that he should be excused from participation in a particular All-Star game or event under Section 1(e)(i) above, the Commissioner shall be authorized to require the player to submit to a medical examination to be performed by a physician designated by the NBA, and the determination of whether the player has satisfied Section 1(e)(i) shall be made by such physician in his sole discretion. In the event that a player is excused from participation in an All-Star game or event under Section 1(e)(i) above, he shall thereafter remain on his Team’s Inactive List until he is cleared to return to the Active List by the NBA.

So if you are physically able to play – you need to show up and play, or be put onto the inactive list – and can return to regular season play only after being cleared by the NBA.

It isn’t as simple as just not showing up and staying at home. It is out of the players discretion.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 pm

mrkleen,

I understand that "it isn’t as simple as just not showing up and staying at home." I knew that there would be a procedure to drop out so that a replacement player could be picked.

I didnt think it would be so draconian!! Pierce plans to attend the All-Star game... Icon_eek

I guess that if he plays this weekend and his wheels stay on he will have to play in the darned All-Star game after all. Same goes for KG.

That CBA has all the answers. I'll have to look at it sometime!!

Thanks for the info.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:32 pm

I think it makes perfect sense for the NBA. Whether it makes sense for players health, is a different story.

The NBA makes a lot of money and gets a lot of publicity during All Star Weekend - and they want their brightest stars there. If players just decided to opt out when they felt like it, they would be left with a bunch of second rate stars from lesser teams...as all the front runners would hold their best players out of the weekend.

I think KG and Pierce would be better served if they did not play in Dallas. But that doesn't seem to really be an option.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down