+6
MDCelticsFan
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
mrkleen09
sinus007
10 posters

Go down

Bob Ryan article? Empty Bob Ryan article?

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am

Hi,
I read this article yesterday. Then read it again this morning. What is he trying to say? Something that most fans know? It's similar to: it's winter, therefore it's cold outside; if you want to stay outside for extended period of time you better bundle up.
On the other hand, could it be a message to Celtics' front office: do something unless you want to step on the same broom twice?
What do you think?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Bob Ryan article? Empty Re: Bob Ryan article?

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 am

At this point in his career, Bob Ryan is nothing more than a fire starter. He creates controversy, for the same of having something worthwhile to write.

He basically tells us how screwed the Celtics are as a team now that they are all getting old….but wraps it up by saying, they have a good future in Rondo and Perkins – and that they could very easily pull it all together and win another banner this spring.

Article was a waste of 10 minutes of my time.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm

sinus007,

That is a neat trick, turning the words, "this article" into the link for the article. I totally missed it the first time.

How did you do that?

Bob Ryan has been reading the troll threads over at the BDC. They have been saying this kind of stuff ever since we signed Ray and KG. It's sad that Ryan had to resort to this kind of reporting, but I guess everyone needs a day off once in a while. Bob Ryan article? Icon_rolleyes

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi,
Thanks guys. I wonder if anybody called him on his BS.
gyso, I just found it myself. When you click on "Link" icon it gives you 2 lines: one where you enter actual link (url), the other one is for a text that you want to represent that link.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Bob Ryan is speaking with a forked tongue. In the beginning of his article he made it very clear that we had maybe 3 years to win the championship before age and injuries set in with the 3 amigo's and we should all thank God they delivered sooner rather then later 'cause we probably were on borrowed time after the first year.

In my opinion Ryan is saying that the Celtic's got a championship out of it, we then saw the following year what happens when a key Star like KG goes down with an injury, citing Walton's injury and how the Celtics lost to the Laker's and that if the Celtic's are wise, it would make sense to retool with younger players then to get old.

But he then goes into, well if Doc can do this and rest this guy and that guy then the Celtic's...................have a good shot at winning!

It would be better if Ryan added to his second opinion that the Celtic's are basically rolling the dice and it could back fire if any of the older guys get hurt or are unable to perform at high levels in the play-offs as we are all expecting.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm

sinus007 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks guys. I wonder if anybody called him on his BS.

gyso, I just found it myself. When you click on "Link" icon it gives you 2 lines: one where you enter actual link (url), the other one is for a text that you want to represent that link.

AK

sinus007,

I think I will try it. Here goes:

If this works, the applause is all yours. Thanks for a neat trick explained.

That probably wasn't enough thanks for the new trick. Perhaps a group applauding would be more apt.

I don't know, perhaps all that applauding was too much after all.

Thanks again,

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:52 pm

The thing I don’t get is what are the Celtics actually “rolling the dice” on?

Even if they don’t win another championship, the excitement that has returned to the team and the fan base over the past 3 seasons is well worth the chance they took on brining in older players. They were NOT going to win the championship with Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, and Jeff Green.

So even if we are left with a broken team next year, the mystique is back. Free Agents who have an appreciation for history and a city that supports them will WANT to play for the Celtics and even more so, free agent scorers will LOVE playing with Rajon Rondo. He makes everyone around him better, and I cant see anyone that would not want to have a guy like them feeding him.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Funny, Bob Ryan talks out of both sides of his mouth. When he is on a Celtic
program, he is all about how good the Celtic's could be at the end of the season. God forbid he should say what he wrote. Let's not ruffle any feathers! He has a reputation to live up to.

As far as the guy from Yahoo is concerned, all he does is write against who ever is struggling that week. Seems that Bob Ryan has turned his back on the celtics, and writes what the rest of the country wants to hear. Two years ago, he was delighted to ride the wave and sing the praises of Danny, now he seems tohave chanfed his mind.

i
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 am

mrkleen09 wrote:The thing I don’t get is what are the Celtics actually “rolling the dice” on?

Even if they don’t win another championship, the excitement that has returned to the team and the fan base over the past 3 seasons is well worth the chance they took on brining in older players. They were NOT going to win the championship with Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, and Jeff Green.

So even if we are left with a broken team next year, the mystique is back. Free Agents who have an appreciation for history and a city that supports them will WANT to play for the Celtics and even more so, free agent scorers will LOVE playing with Rajon Rondo. He makes everyone around him better, and I cant see anyone that would not want to have a guy like them feeding him.

Rolling the dice can be interpreted many ways but not in the context of what you maybe defining it. Competitive, yes. Maybe a championship this year? If all the stars line up. Yes, but who knows how the ball will bounce in play-offs. So in that definition they are not rolling the dice this year.

However, they are rolling the dice next year and the year after if they do not begin the transformation process this year to get younger through letting some guys go who have some value in a trade. We have seen other teams grow old and struggle to get back to competitive basketball when they held on to players too long. The 1985-6 New York Islanders were guilty of that after going to the finals 5 years in a row and they paid the ultimate price of never being competitive again! I know, I was a season ticket holder and knew many of the players personally. I do not want another 22 years to go by before another Championship.

Rebuilding in the next year is inevitable. What I mean is KG is not going to perform at the level as we saw him during the 07-08 season. Pierce is losing a step and leaping ability. They will become secondary players sooner then later as they cannot continue to put these kind of minutes. The Celtics have the ability to bring some guys in or use Walker and Giddens more and learn under the the cream of top veterans like Pierce and KG now to make the transformation seamless. We have a great opportunity to retool with youth that can be taught Celtic Basketball vs. what is taught by the rest of the leagues' teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Funny, just a couple of months ago he was on the television preaching that this team was terrific,that the bumps in the road would come but they were capable of winning a title. Bob Ryan swings with the wind, wherever he can be read or heard the most. These writers thrive off telling management what
they think they should do. Then why don't they own a team???? Ryan is over the hill himself!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Bob Ryan is an Icon, a legend, and someone who NEVER should be open to questioning or ridicule!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:38 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I read this article yesterday. Then read it again this morning. What is he trying to say? Something that most fans know? It's similar to: it's winter, therefore it's cold outside; if you want to stay outside for extended period of time you better bundle up.
On the other hand, could it be a message to Celtics' front office: do something unless you want to step on the same broom twice?
What do you think?

AK
Sinus maybe I'm missing something but, nothing he says seems all that far off base and yet one could say, "Geez Ryan, what's the matter, didn't have anything to say today?" .....Very easy to point out that the prior big 3 got older and in hindsight were finished winning the big one in 86. Very hard to know that in 86 or 87 or 88...I wondered at the time why they didn't go after Mikal Thompson or some additional help but I don't work in the front office and have to come up with the dough, either. Bottom line- hindsight 20/20....foresight not so easy...........
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:47 pm

lacelt

They had a plan. His name was Bias. with him they would have beat the 87 Lakers 4-0.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:13 pm

jeb65 wrote:lacelt

They had a plan. His name was Bias. with him they would have beat the 87 Lakers 4-0.
Tragically you are right, Jeb...A painful point for C's fans, but I was refering to during 87 when Bias was gone and they needed to get deeper but didn't. The C's had the best starting 5 maybe I've ever seen in my life...What a great team...IF it had been the C's starting 5 vs. the Lakers starting 5, no substitutions allowed. The C's would have won back to backs....86,87...but alas, benches matter.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:07 am

LaCelt

Bias crippled us. If he had been added to that 86 team...3 more rings. That is the truth. He was a very special dude.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:22 am

LACELTFAN wrote:
jeb65 wrote:lacelt

Tragically you are right, Jeb...A painful point for C's fans, but I was refering to during 87 when Bias was gone and they needed to get deeper but didn't. The C's had the best starting 5 maybe I've ever seen in my life...What a great team...IF it had been the C's starting 5 vs. the Lakers starting 5, no substitutions allowed. The C's would have won back to backs....86,87...but alas, benches matter.

LACelt,

The Celtics had the best top 6 I've ever seen in my life with bringing a healthy Bill Walton off the bench for 80 games.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 am

[/quote]
Sinus maybe I'm missing something but, nothing he says seems all that far off base and yet one could say, "Geez Ryan, what's the matter, didn't have anything to say today?" .....Very easy to point out that the prior big 3 got older and in hindsight were finished winning the big one in 86. Very hard to know that in 86 or 87 or 88...I wondered at the time why they didn't go after Mikal Thompson or some additional help but I don't work in the front office and have to come up with the dough, either. Bottom line- hindsight 20/20....foresight not so easy...........[/quote]

laceltfan,
I didn't say that he's wrong. Everyone and their brother know about aging big 3, the need to do something about it and the similarity with the old big 3. The point of OP was that Mr. Ryan stated the obvious but sounded as if he invented cold fusion reactor. There are usually, IMHO, 2 reasons for that: either to write something, just to fill the blank space or, make a statement so whoever that statement is addressed to know that they're in hot water.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:49 pm

What Ryan wrote was right on. A lot of Celtic fans don't want to accept it, but it is reality. What isn't reality is expecting another title from the current roster. It just won't happen.

Ainge and Rivers have come to the same conclusion, if you read between their quotes. Just as importantly, Rondo realizes something is amiss and has been quoted saying so.

Team meeting called by Big 3 after last debacle, after Rivers unloaded on them. Should have happened 2 months ago. This team can either get old together, and fans enjoy their declining years, or begin to reload.

Status quo will not get it done because of age, attitudes, and lack of athleticism.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down