KG talks changing of Celtics guard

Go down

KG talks changing of Celtics guard Empty KG talks changing of Celtics guard

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:22 pm

ESPNBOSTON

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- It will always be a bit strange for Kevin Garnett to come back to TD Garden, but something felt particularly odd about Friday's visit. Each time Garnett returns, there are fewer familiar faces on the other side of the court. In the aftermath of last week's trade that delivered Rajon Rondo to the Dallas Mavericks, the Boston Celtics are now completely devoid of members of the 2008 championship squad.

"I've been getting a lot of 'Rest in peace' texts and stuff, so I had to change my number," Garnett joked after his Brooklyn Nets rallied for a 109-107 triumph in a Friday matinee. "It's all good, though. We're infinite. Once you win once, you win forever."

After the Nets beat the Celtics, Kevin Garnett shared his thoughts on his former team's direction with the departure of Rajon Rondo.

Garnett will always be a Celtic and the 2008 title ensured that legacy. The trade that sent him and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn just 17 months ago started a roster overhaul, which continued with the surprising early-season Rondo deal. Garnett found joy Friday in seeing other familiar faces, whether it was Celtics support staff or the fans who showered him with an ovation when he was introduced as part of the visitor's lineup.

Before the game's opening tip, Garnett skipped toward the stanchion in front of the Boston bench, just like he did during six seasons here, and saluted the crowd beyond the basket before waving to each side of TD Garden.

"It's always love here," said Garnett. "It's always an appreciation that I can never give back, other than the salute. Winning is infinite. And I'll always have that special relationship with this city."

Celtics fans might have given the 38-year-old Garnett a little extra salute while wondering if Friday's contest would mark the final visit of his playing days.

Garnett admitted the future is uncertain but said he takes each season as it comes. He'll assess his playing career after the 2014-15 season ends. But that's not to say the thought about this being his final trip didn't cross his mind.

"At this stage it's always somewhere lurking in the back, probably whether I admit it or not," said Garnett. "But, if I'm being truthful with you, sometimes [I do think about it]. Seeing Paul [Pierce] the other day, he was in town to play the Knicks and we had a conversation. So, at this stage, we know that things are not taken for granted, but more appreciated. It crosses [my mind], I wouldn't lie about that."

Garnett contributed six points and four rebounds over a mere 17 minutes during Friday's game. He sat out the final 17 minutes in which the Nets rallied from a 12-point deficit to win.

Celtics coach Brad Stevens never got to coach Garnett -- he was hired just days after the deal was agreed upon -- but what he saw on the court Friday suggested a player with something left in the tank.

"My general thought is that he looks like he has too much energy to retire," said Stevens. "Whether it's talking to our players, talking to our bench, talking to his teammates -- the passion which he brings to the game is top-notch. And I think you can learn a lot from a guy like that if you're a young guy that's never been around him. And you know, I told Jae Crowder this when Garnett got introduced and everybody went nuts as they should: If you play the right way here, people appreciate it. And, obviously, he did that and he led others to do that."

Only four players remain from Garnett's tenure: Jeff Green, Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger and Brandon Bass. Garnett said he hasn't watched the Celtics much since the Rondo trade, but he praised the new-look group by noting, "They seem to play hard, they seem to play together. Celtics basketball."

Garnett was peppered with questions about his buddy Rondo, with whom he formed an inseparable bond during his time in Boston. Was he surprised that the Celtics traded Rondo?

"Little bit. Little bit. But nothing surprises me after Michael Jordan moving to different teams, Shaq moving to different teams," said Garnett. "Players in the history going to different teams. I guess at that point, it's just a matter of when and where."

Pressed on Rondo, Garnett added: "It's very weird. I just saw [team trainer] Ed Lacerte in the locker room and he told me it was kind of bittersweet. Obviously, I've been in contact with Rondo since [the trade], just for his well-being. I kind of stay in touch with all the guys. ... Obviously, we all stay in touch, just caring about his well-being. I'm just glad everything worked out."

Garnett believes Rondo is positioned to thrive in Dallas.

"What do I expect from him? To be himself," said Garnett. "Obviously, he has all the players, bit more of a firm base, little more of a championship base around him. And I see him adapting to that with no problem. I've watched him play, I've seen him getting up on [defense] like old times. He's talking, being himself. I expect great things out of him. I wish him the best."

Garnett, resistant to change, eventually embraced the idea of moving on from Boston because of the possibility to chase another ring in Brooklyn. He seems to understand that Rondo has a similar opportunity in Dallas. And all that players who have won a title want is the chance to claim another.

After all, winning is infinite. And little else is in basketball.

Back to top Go down