AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick

5 posters

Go down

AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick Empty AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:56 pm

2015 NBA Mock Draft:

By Sam Vecenie | CBSSports.com

December 26, 2014 12:59 pm ET

Duke's Jahlil Okafor is making his case to be the top pick in the 2015 draft. (USATSI)
This is CBSSports.com's first mock draft of the season, and it comes as we're heading into conference play in the new year. We've seen enough of the freshmen to understand how they're reacting to the college game, and how their strengths have reacted to consistently facing a higher level of competition. Along with the freshmen, some returning players have made leaps as some have fallen off the radar a bit.

Overall, the impact of the freshmen has led to a slightly better class than initially anticipated coming into the season. Some players, such as D'Angelo Russell, Kevon Looney and Jakob Poeltl, have stepped up and become legitimate lottery threats. Plus, outside of the Kansas freshmen, the presumed high-end players have been as good as advertised. I'd say this class is probably a bit worse in the lottery than the 2014 iteration, but probably a bit deeper if most of the class declares.

Just some quick notes on how this mock draft works.

I DO take team needs into account. The standings are as of Wednesday, December 24th. That also means that I've taken into account the effects of trades (i.e. the Lakers are in the top 5, so still have their pick). I don't think it's often discussed enough how player fit and team development play a part into the success or failure of a prospect, so I try to discuss how each player could potentially fit into his situation. This is NOT a big board. Some players that are higher here than are on my big board include Caris LeVert, R.J. Hunter and Kelly Oubre. Others who are lower include Tyus Jones and Frank Kaminsky. I should have a big board coming for you early next week.

Freshmen are included for the first round, but are not included in the second round. For instance, Justin Jackson of North Carolina would probably be in the top-five picks of the second round, however he's unlisted otherwise. This also affects Chris Walker, who I currently have absolutely no idea what to do with. I don't think he's shown enough to be a first-round pick yet in his development this season; however, he's also got quite a bit of upside and it could show up at any time. Given that for all intents and purposes this is his first season, I've decided to group him with the freshmen and only list him as a first-rounder. He's on the cusp.

So without further ado, here's what I've got for you heading into the new year. We're going to be ramping up our draft coverage from here on out, so this is only the start.

NBA MOCK DRAFT - 12/26/2014
ROUND 1
1. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke: Okafor has somehow exceeded the lofty expectations that were placed upon his broad shoulders prior to this collegiate season by both college basketball media and NBA draft folk alike. He's one of the strongest freshmen to ever come through college hoops, and he has the excellent hands, pristine, fluid footwork, and soft touch around the rim to match it. This is the kind of interior prospect that teams dream of. Even though the 76ers already have both Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel in the fold, Okafor has separated himself from the rest of the pack in this draft. If they're so lucky to end up with the top pick, they should take Okafor and just figure out the rest later around him. He's that good.

2. NEW YORK KNICKS
Karl Towns, C, Kentucky: He hasn't gotten much of a chance to show it off yet at Kentucky because of all of the weapons around him, but Towns is an absolute athletic freak for a 7-foot, 250-pound center. Don't believe me? Check out this video of Towns dunking from the foul line. He can run and jump with anyone his size, plus has pretty legitimate shooting range out to 18-feet or so. Just because he hasn't gotten to show off these skills at Kentucky doesn't mean he hasn't been impressive, though. The place he's shown some growth is on the interior with his defense, as he's blocking 5.5 shots per-40 minutes and controlling the boards. If a coach can get all of Towns' tools out of him on both ends, he could end up being better than Okafor. That will make him a tantalizing prospect, but he's second on this board because he's not nearly the finished product that the top pick is.

3. DETROIT PISTONS
Emmanuel Mudiay, PG, Guangdong: I don't really put a ton of stock into what Mudiay is doing in China statistically, simply because the game over there is so different from what he'd be doing in the NBA. What I do like about Mudiay has to do with the things that he showed off in high school, as well as on the exhibition circuit. Mudiay's a big (he's 6-foot-5) smart player who has a really good feel in the pick-and-roll already, with good stop/start skills, solid change-of-direction, and excellent body control. He's one of those guys who just never looks sped up on the floor, plus has excellent vision to pick out open players. Pairing him with Andre Drummond could lead to a dynamic alley-oop combination for years in Detroit.

4. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky: A lot of people questioned Cauley-Stein's decision to return to Kentucky last season, as he likely would have been a lottery pick. However, this season he's put all of those concerns to bed and increased his draft stock by becoming the most dynamic defensive weapon in all of college hoops. He's the best 7-foot perimeter defender that I think I've ever scouted, plus has the ability to block shots on the interior. And while we already knew he was a really good defender last season, his offense has at least caught up a little bit. His hands are a bit better, and he's showing better offensive awareness around his guards both as a cutter and as a pick-and-roll threat. This kind of pick fits the Wolves in multiple ways. He gives them another player to get out into transition with Ricky Rubio, and he also would fit next to Nikola Pekovic in the frontcourt as a guy who could stay out of the lane on offense as a cutter/PnR threat, then help him protect the rim on defense.

5. LOS ANGELES LAKERS
Stanley Johnson, SF, Arizona: In this iteration, the Lakers get to keep their pick as they're currently the fifth-worst team in the NBA. And with it, they take Johnson, a kid who played his high school ball in Orange County, just south of where the Lakers play their home games. At 6-foot-7, 235 pounds, you probably couldn't build a more perfect small forward than Johnson in a laboratory. He still hasn't quite gotten his offensive game totally off the ground, but he's shooting well from 3-point range and using his excellent athleticism to get to the rim a ton, where's getting to the line six times per game. However, I've been most impressed with his two-way play, as he uses his excellent length and strength to not only stay in front of guys, but also forces turnovers. The next key for him will be to improve around the rim and as a ball-handler. If he can do that, he has potential to be an all-star.

6. UTAH JAZZ
Justise Winslow, SF, Duke: The Jazz have an awful lot of young talent at all over the floor, so without knowledge on what the Jazz are planning to do with Enes Kanter at this pointwe'll go with the best player available in Justise Winslow. One thing that you can always count on with Winslow is that he'll defend and play hard, and that's something that the Jazz could really use on the perimeter right now. None of the Trey Burke/Dante Exum/Alec Burks/Gordon Hayward group are particularly great on the defensive end, which means that Winslow can give the Jazz a new, athletic dimension on the wing. He's a winner through and through, with tremendous athleticism and offensive potential for growth.

7. INDIANA PACERS
D'Angelo Russell, PG/SG, Ohio State: There probably hasn't been a bigger riser throughout the early portion of the draft process than Russell, the smooth guard that is currently playing for Thad Matta at Ohio State. Russell probably profiles as a point guard in the NBA, as he's a smart passer with excellent vision. Currently, his role at Ohio State is somewhat similar to that of Deron Williams at Illinois in that he often plays off-ball next to Shannon Scott, and he actually shows quite a few similarities to the current Nets' guard. He's extremely smooth with an excellent shot, good pick-and-roll instincts, and really solid stop/start ability. The Pacers could definitely use a guy with those kind of offensive skills, as the Pacers are currently second-to-last in the NBA in offensive efficiency.

8. CHARLOTTE HORNETS
Kristaps Porzingis, PF/C, Sevilla: If the Hornets are going to continue to build around Kemba Walker, Lance Stephenson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist on the perimeter, they need to get spacing from their frontcourt. When they were at their most successful in 2013-14, Josh McRoberts provided that skill by forcing teams to cover him out there. And at 19-years-old, Porzingis profiles to be that same type of inside-out threat that will fit perfectly in the modern NBA. He has a quick trigger both from midrange and from beyond the arc, and really good footwork in the pick-and-roll when popping toward the 3-point line or when rolling to the hoop. The Latvian 7-footer still has many of the same issues that all 220-pound forwards do, but he has the frame that should handle about 20 pounds more. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up going higher than this.

9. ORLANDO MAGIC
Caris LeVert, SG, Michigan: This is a good deal higher than I have LeVert on my board (15th), but the Magic could really use a shooter than can play both wing spots to give them some lineup versatility. And as you'll see in this draft, shooting is probably the part of basketball that is most at a premium in this draft. LeVert is one of the better jump shooters in this draft, as he's made nearly 42 percent of his 200+ 3-point attempts over the past season and a half. Plus, at 6-foot-7, he'll be able to slide between defending both wing positions. Ben Gordon has a team option next season, and Evan Fournier will be a restricted free agent after 2016, so getting some more shooting in the mix would not be a bad decision for the Magic.

10. BOSTON CELTICS
Myles Turner, C, Texas: No matter if the Celtics think that Kelly Olynyk or Jared Sullener is their power forward of the future, they're going to need some rim protection on defense. Very few players have the defensive potential that Turner does in the paint, where he swats shots with reckless abandon and controls the boards well. As a 7-footer with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, there hasn't been much of a problem with that translation to college, as his 13.6 percent block rate is currently sixth in the entire NCAA. Plus, he already has range out to the 3-point line, making him a perfect potential candidate for pick-and-rolls/pops with future point guard Marcus Smart. This is one of those picks that could end up being a perfect marriage if everything breaks right for the big man.

11. DENVER NUGGETS
Kevon Looney, PF, UCLA: Looney's athleticism, length, and outside-in slashing game could make him a really good future frontcourt partner for Jusuf Nurkic. That pairing would have potential to dominate the boards for a decade, as Looney's best aspect currently is his rebounding ability. Pairing his freakish 7-foot-4 wingspan with a 6-foot-9 frame, he's absolutely a power forward in the NBA despite his ball-handling ability and skill getting to the rim. However, to get to that point, he'll need to put some serious weight on his current 220-pound frame. By the time it's all said and done, I think he probably ends up having a solid Thad Young-like career, which is absolutely worth the 11th pick in the draft.

12. CHICAGO BULLS
Kelly Oubre, SF, Kansas: This is the Kings' pick, which became the Bulls' through a series of trades culminating in the Luol Deng disaster in Cleveland last season. And this would have potential to be one of the steals of the draft if Oubre can play up to his lofty potential under coach Tom Thibodeau. Even though Oubre has looked pretty lost on defense for Kansas this season, his 6-foot-7 frame and 7-foot-2 wingspan gives him the base to be an absolute terror on that end in the NBA. The Bulls have taken a tools guy like this before in Tony Snell and have made him into what looks like a pretty solid player, even though he's still pretty buried. But really, this move is more about giving the Bulls insurance on restricted free agent Jimmy Butler and replacing Mike Dunleavy, who is a free agent after the season.

13. OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER
Montrezl Harrell, PF, Louisville: The Thunder likely won't stick around the lottery all season long now that Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook have returned from injury. However, if those two got hurt again, Harrell would be an excellent piece to put around them. There is no player whose draft stock will be more affected by measurements, as Harrell was measured last season at 6-foot-6.75. However, if there's any team that could compensate for his lack of length it's the Thunder, who would put him next to Durant, Steven Adams and Serge Ibaka in the frontcourt. He would work in conjunction with Adams to replace some of the toughness that the Thunder will lost with Kendrick Perkins this offseason.

14. HOUSTON ROCKETS
Mario Hezonja, SG/SF, Barcelona: This pick comes courtesy of New Orleans, who gave it up for Omer Asik last offseason. Given that the Rockets likely want the ball in James Harden's hands as much as possible, I'm not sure how useful a traditional point guard like Tyus Jones or Delon Wright is for them. Instead, surrounding him with shooters to space the floor seems like the best bet, and the Rockets get one here in Hezonja. Hezonja is a 6-foot-8 wing that can shoot the ball, but seems to be a little too iso-heavy at this point in his career. There are a lot of possible outcomes for Hezonja at this point because of that. But as of now, I see him more as a Marco Belinelli-type than a real NBA starter. But he's a good fit here for a team who has done a really good job of scouting Europe.

15. ATLANTA HAWKS
Cliff Alexander, PF, Kansas: Alexander is one of my favorite prospects in this class. However, his play has been a bit concerning to this point at Kansas. He's a vociferous rebounder and physical in the paint, but his 6-foot-9 frame may be problematic as he makes the transition to the NBA. He has really long arms, but to this point he's struggled playing against other players that are just as big as he is. Having said that, he's just so strong and long with an excellent motor that I can't see a circumstance where he doesn't at least become a solid role player in the NBA off the bench. There's potential for more than that, but I think Atlanta would probably be happy picking up some more physicality in case Paul Millsap leaves this offseason.

16. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
R.J. Hunter, SG, Georgia State: At some point, picking up some shooting on the wing would probably benefit the 76ers, who get this pick from Miami by way of Cleveland. With this pick, they get one of the purest shooters in the draft class in Hunter, a marksman from deep that already has NBA 3-point range. I'm not sure he'll be able to play right away because GSU typically plays a zone that can at times make him look a bit lazy on the defensive end. However, he'd be an excellent fit next to Michael Carter-Williams, spacing the floor and giving him more room to operate in the midrange/paint.

17. MILWAUKEE BUCKS
Tyus Jones, PG, Duke: The Bucks have an awful lot of options on the wing and in the frontcourt now, so it might make some sense to pick up a true point guard like Jones in this draft — especially since Brandon Knight is a free agent in the offseason. And even if the Bucks retain him, Jones and Knight would seem to be a pairing that could work on offense in one of Jason Kidd's interesting lineup combinations. Jones is your prototypical floor general that gets everyone involved on the offensive end of the floor. If the jump shot is for real and if he can learn to mitigate some of the defensive concerns, he might end up being worth a lottery pick.

18. PHOENIX SUNS
Frank Kaminsky, C, Wisconsin: On paper, this is a perfect match. The Suns have struggled a bit this season in replacing Channing Frye, and even just traded away Anthony Tolliver. In Kaminsky, the Suns would get a player who is comfortable shooting the ball from distance — where he's made 40 percent of his 130+ 3s in the last two seasons -- and posting up on either block. The question for Kaminsky will always be whether or not you can hide him on defense, but he's put on a bit of strength since last season and seems to be a bit smarter on that end. If he can continue that improvement, he'll be an awesome player in the 12-20 range of this draft.

19. SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Delon Wright, PG, Utah: Tony Parker is signed through 2018, but I've never been a fan of what the Spurs currently have behind him in Cory Joseph. And in reality, the team probably has more pressing needs than what's behind Parker, given that Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili could retire after this season, and Danny Green is a free agent. However, Wright's one of those players that just fit what the Spurs want to do. He's a great ball-mover, really smart and long defender. Also, if the Spurs could fix his jumper — which isn't by any means “broken,” but it's certainly not a strength — they could really reap the benefits down the line of what Wright's skill set, which is rather prodigious and complete outside of that.

20. CHICAGO BULLS
Bobby Portis, PF/C, Arkansas: The Bulls get to swap picks with Cleveland if they finish ahead of them in the standings, and currently that is holding. So with its second top-20 pick, Chicago takes a shot on a long big man that could eventually replace what Taj Gibson brings them in the paint. Portis is 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan, and he has the ability to either play in the post or step out into the midrange for a 15-footer. With Pau Gasol getting up in age and Joakim Noah occasionally wearing down, it make sense to continue to bring in new blood behind them.

21. BOSTON CELTICS
Sam Dekker, SF, Wisconsin: This pick comes to the Celtics from the Clippers and the Doc Rivers trade. At some point in the next two years, Jeff Green is probably going to be traded, opening up a spot at small forward for the Celtics. Basically, Dekker profiles as an awesome role player in the NBA. He moves extremely well without the ball, cuts well to the rim, and should eventually iron out his long-range jumper. As with his teammate Kaminsky, the questions will likely be on his defense. But at 6-foot-9, if he's able to put on some strength he should profile well as a wing on that end just simply due to his size.

22. DALLAS MAVERICKS
Jakob Poeltl, C, Utah: I'm not sure Poeltl will come out for the 2015 draft, but if he does he'll go somewhere in the first round. He's an awesome rebounder with great hands already at 19-years-old, and has a ton of defensive potential due to his size and presence near the rim. I still have some questions about whether or not he can defend on the perimeter at all or create any sort of offense for himself, but the tools are there for him to succeed in the NBA if he can get coached up. This would be a long-term pick for a Mavericks' team that is likely to still be chasing a championship in 2015, but at this point it's very unlikely that anyone would make an instant impact. (Note: Dallas keeps this pick in the Rondo trade because it falls in the 15-30 range).

23. CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
Dakari Johnson, C, Kentucky: This is the swapped pick from earlier with the Bulls that was negotiated in the aforementioned Deng trade. I'm not super high on Johnson, but he's improved his body, which has improved his athleticism and quickness a ton. That's led to him being better offensively around the rim this season as well as him playing at a higher level on defense. At the very least, he's a true center for a team that really needs one around the rim. As Anderson Varejao has only played 172 games in the past five seasons, the Cavs can no longer count on him despite the extension they gave him this past offseason. Getting a big man should be a priority for the Cavs.

24. WASHINGTON WIZARDS
Jerian Grant, PG, Notre Dame: Grant is going to be someone who works his way back into the first-round conversation as he continues to lead the third-best offense in America, per KenPom's adjusted offensive efficiency rating. To put it simply, Grant is an offensive force that would be an awesome choice to lead the Wizards' second unit going into the future with John Wall (plus, at 6-foot-5 he could probably play with him occasionally). He's a great passer, fantastic at getting out into transition, and a pretty capable shooter with a high-level of basketball IQ. This is the kind of guy that teams should want as a backup point guard in the NBA.

25. LOS ANGELES LAKERS
Rashad Vaughn, SG, UNLV: The Lakers just need talent, so why not try to hit a late-first-round home run on Vaughn, an excellent scorer who could develop into an NBA starter. As a long-armed scorer with potential on both ends of the floor, Vaughn is likely a player that will rise throughout the draft season because of his excellent 6-foot-6 frame and athleticism. But having said that, he's a somewhat risky pick because he's not much of a shooter yet, and doesn't do much besides score. If he can get with a coach that can iron out his shot, he could be a really good player. But because his game lacks other ancillary skills that are currently translatable to the NBA, I think he's probably more in the 20-30 area right now.

26. BROOKLYN NETS
Trey Lyles, PF, Kentucky: This is another team that just needs young, talented players. Lyles fits the bill from that perspective. The 6-foot-10 forward has shown the ability to step away and shoot 3s for Kentucky this season, and also has strong footwork in the post. Plus, his 7-4 wingspan may point to some ability as a weak side shot-blocker, as well as a potential to get better in space on the defensive end. If he doesn't come out, it wouldn't surprise me to see him lead Kentucky's offense next season.

27. MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, SF, Arizona: I have some concerns about Hollis-Jefferson in the NBA — namely whether or not his complete and utter lack of jump shot will hold back his game — but there probably isn't a better match for him than the grit and grind of the Grizzlies. His motor and athleticism are absolutely exceptional, but he's a complete non-factor on offense unless he's around the rim or crashing the boards. But the Grizzlies haven't had a problem taking a chance on guys like this in the past, such as Tony Allen in free agency and Jamaal Franklin in the draft. If he could become what they thought they were getting from Franklin a couple of years ago, the Grizz would probably be happy.

28. TORONTO RAPTORS
Christian Wood, PF, UNLV: The Raptors could probably use young depth all across the team, so here they go for the upside play in Wood, a 6-foot-11 power forward who is still learning how to use his skills to dominate in college. He's probably the most fluid near-7-footer in the draft, and with a 7-foot-2 wingspan he is an above-the-rim kind of finisher on offense that's also pretty adept at slashing against big men. In UNLV's big win over Arizona this week, he eviscerated a good defensive player in Brandon Ashley, so it seems like the light might be turning on for this big man.

29. PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
Amida Brimah, C, Connecticut: The Blazers have been looking for big men for the past couple of years to back up Robin Lopez and LaMarcus Aldridge, so Brimah would represent another attempt to get a backup that would also potentially fit well next to Aldridge in the case of Lopez leaving in free agency. Brimah's value comes with his defensive potential, as he's a long shot-blocking center with a reported 7-foot-6 wingspan. He still pretty rudimentary offensively, but he at least has solid hands and can finish around the rim, which is all you can ask for with the 29th pick.

30. GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Damian Jones, C, Vanderbilt: Jones is a post player that would follow in the footsteps of Festus Ezeli in becoming a Golden State Warrior after playing for Vanderbilt. Jones is pretty much a post scorer at this point, but he has really good touch and is extremely long with an NBA-ready frame at nearly 250 pounds. Rebounding is the biggest thing he needs to improve upon if he wants to solidify himself as a first-round pick, as his 6.6 per 27 minutes really isn't good enough for a guy with his length and frame.

ROUND 2

31. BOSTON CELTICS
Tyrone Wallace, G, California: Wallace has been absolutely skyrocketing up draft boards with his play this season, as a 6-foot-4 guard capable of playing the point or off-ball.

32. HOUSTON ROCKETS
Michael Frazier, SG, Florida: Frazier would fit into Houston's desire to space the floor around Harden and bomb away 3s, as he's made 44 percent of his 450+ career 3s.

33. DETROIT PISTONS
Jarell Martin, F, LSU: The Pistons just traded away their project, developmental forward in Tony Mitchell, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up another one to potentially be a bench big.

34. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Ron Baker, G, Wichita State: Baker would fill the shooting void for the Wolves, as well as fit with their athletic wings as a player who is always looking to push the ball in transition.

35. UTAH JAZZ
Brice Johnson, F, UNC: Johnson's a fluid athlete who could run the floor in the future with Dante Exum in the future. But he needs to develop a shot away from the hoop first to make the league.

36. LOS ANGELES LAKERS
Terry Rozier, G, Louisville: Rozier's able to get to the hoop well, but he's an inconsistent shooter and not a great distributor as a point guard, with a 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

37. INDIANA PACERS
Buddy Hield, SG, Oklahoma: This team needs shooting badly, and Hield could help them improve there. He's a player who could rise in the draft process due to the dearth of shooting.

38. CHARLOTTE HORNETS
Norman Powell, G, UCLA: Powell's a really good defender with a high motor and an NBA body. He's higher on my board than he is in this mock.

39. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
Kenan Sipahi, G, Fenerbahce: Sipahi is a big guard that already plays well in the pick-and-roll. He'd be a similar pick to their Vasilije Micic one last season in hopes that one of them turned out well.

40. BOSTON CELTICS
Aaron Harrison, SG, Kentucky: I was really high on Harrison coming into the season, but he hasn't quite yet ironed out his shot enough for me to consider him a first-rounder.

41. HOUSTON ROCKETS
Aleksandar Vezenkov, F, Aris: Vezenkov was the leading scorer in last summer's U20 Euro Championships, and has put up numbers in every international tournament he's played in.

42. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Wayne Selden, G, Kansas: Might as well keep trying to add up shooters in the hopes that one of them works out.

43. OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER
Branden Dawson, F, Michigan State: Another pickup in the Josh Huestis/Andre Roberson mold, Dawson could become a solid defensive stopper in the NBA.

44. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
Shawn Long, PF, Louisiana-Lafayette: Long has the ability to step away from the hoop and knock down shots from the perimeter, as well as rebound and defend with his long wingspan.

45. BROOKLYN NETS
Marcus Paige, PG, North Carolina: Paige is a player that could become a solid change-of-pace guy off the bench as a scoring point guard.

46. MIAMI HEAT
A.J. Hammons, C, Purdue: Hammons is massive, extremely talented center with a questionable work ethic. Home run swing of a pick here.

47. MILWAUKEE BUCKS
Nikola Milutinov, C, Partizan: Milutinov is a fluid big man that is already getting a lot of minutes for a Eurocup team in Europe. Pretty impressive of a 6-foot-11 19-year-old.

48. PHOENIX SUNS
Mam Jaiteh, C, Nanterre: The Suns already have a ton of young guys in the fold, so they'll stash this big, long center over in Europe for a couple of years and see how he develops.

49. SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Jordan Mickey, PF, LSU: I think the Spurs would figure out something to do with this undersized springboard of a shot-blocker. Also thinking they'll legitimately draft two guys in this one.

50. UTAH JAZZ
Georges Niang, SF, Iowa State: I just think that Quin Snyder is one of the smarter offensive coaches in the league, and he'd find a way to make Niang's unique game useful.

51. LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS
Andrew Harrison, G, Kentucky: Harrison's a big guard that still hasn't figured out a way to consistently shoot or blow by defenders. Maybe Chris Paul can help?

52. DALLAS MAVERICKS
Speedy Smith, PG, Louisiana Tech: This team needs an awful lot of help defending opposing guards, and Smith could be a huge help in that regard.

53. ORLANDO MAGIC
Chris Obekpa, C, St. John's: Think the size and his hands are a pretty big hindrance toward him ever becoming more than Joel Anthony.

54. BOSTON CELTICS
Guillermo Hernangomez, C, Spain: Hernangomez averaged 12 and 8 in the Euro U20 this summer as Spain lost to Turkey in the championship.

55. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
Brandon Ashley, F, Arizona: I have Ashley a bit higher than this on my board, and think he's a potential Udonis Haslem if things break right. Can't do better than that in Round 2.

56. ATLANTA HAWKS
J.P. Tokoto, SF, North Carolina: Tokoto is a supreme athlete that could become a really good defensive stopper if the offense catches up.

57. MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
Shannon Scott, PG, Ohio State: Memphis has been looking for a backup to Mike Conley for a while, so why not go back to the place that treated you so well the first time?

58. ATLANTA HAWKS
Robert Upshaw, C, Washington: Upshaw is leading the country in block rate and is averaging an insane 8.4 per-40 minutes. Just not sure I totally buy into his athleticism yet, though.

59. DENVER NUGGETS
Jonathan Holmes, PF/SF, Texas: Holmes has been one of the best players in college basketball this season, but he might be position-less in the NBA.

60. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
Briante Weber, PG, VCU: With their fifth second-round pick, the Sixers go with Weber, who might be the most impactful perimeter defender in the country.

Back to top Go down

AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick Empty Re: AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:47 am

We've got picks, is it time to start begging ping-pong balls to help us out?

Okafor is the solution.  Unfortunatley if we're not picking 1st, that won't happen.  Turner probably goes #2.  These are two centers almost no team would pass on in a center starved league.

This mock draft has us picking Turner at #10.  This would be the next best thing to Okafor, and we would have our center for years to come.  I can't see him going at #10 however.  #2 is more where he's heading.  If we did somehow end up with Turner, I think we could have to move up by trading other picks from this and the next draft, as well as a player with enough value to move us up.  That would have to be Green. Of course, there is always the possibility we draft high enough to not need a deal; did I mention ping-pong balls?

If we can get Cauley-Stein, Kaminsky or Portis, we still get a likely starting center.  Chances are we get a shot at one of them.  I hope we don't blow it.  

Kaminsky and Portis will probably be taken much higher than this mock lists, but again, we ought to be bad enough to earn a shot.  We might just be bad enough for our own pick to do the job.

Okafor and Turner will be stars and not only start but probably have an immediate impact just about anywhere.  Kaminsky, Cauley-Stein and Portis all fit and start for us from day one.  Pair one of them with Smart at point and we're putting two of the five starters on the floor for the next Celtics playoff team.

Come on ping-pong balls; we've got to get lucky some time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick Empty Re: AS SUGAR PLUMS DANCE IN DANNY'S HEAD - 2015 NBA Mock Draft: Duke's Jahlil Okafor looks like top pick

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:10 am

NYCelt wrote:We've got picks, is it time to start begging ping-pong balls to help us out?

Okafor is the solution.  Unfortunatley if we're not picking 1st, that won't happen.  Turner probably goes #2.  These are two centers almost no team would pass on in a center starved league.

This mock draft has us picking Turner at #10.  This would be the next best thing to Okafor, and we would have our center for years to come.  I can't see him going at #10 however.  #2 is more where he's heading.  If we did somehow end up with Turner, I think we could have to move up by trading other picks from this and the next draft, as well as a player with enough value to move us up.  That would have to be Green.  Of course, there is always the possibility we draft high enough to not need a deal; did I mention ping-pong balls?

If we can get Cauley-Stein, Kaminsky or Portis, we still get a likely starting center.  Chances are we get a shot at one of them.  I hope we don't blow it.  

Kaminsky and Portis will probably be taken much higher than this mock lists, but again, we ought to be bad enough to earn a shot.  We might just be bad enough for our own pick to do the job.

Okafor and Turner will be stars and not only start but probably have an immediate impact just about anywhere.  Kaminsky, Cauley-Stein and Portis all fit and start for us from day one.  Pair one of them with Smart at point and we're putting two of the five starters on the floor for the next Celtics playoff team.

Come on ping-pong balls; we've got to get lucky some time.

Nycelt,

Unless we sneak into the playoffs in the horrendous EC, then we're not in the lottery at all and will pick #15 at best.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:43 am

Bob,

In that case, my mistake.  We'll need to look at packaging picks along with Green in order to go draft our center.  I'm not even going to attempt a shot at the rules of who can be traded for what and when, we're just going to need to do what is needed to move into position to ensure we get one of several quality centers likely to declare for the '15 draft.

I'm not sure how anyone can keep this stuff straight at this point, between the picks we've accumulated and where it all shakes out.  I know I don't have the time or the patience, but kudos to those that can and do.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:03 am

Philly will need to move one of Okafor, Embiid or Noel IMO.

not sure if they would do it on draft day, but either of the three would help us (assuming Embiid can stay healthy).

IF we do end up sneaking into the playoffs and out of the lottery, all of those draft picks Ainge is holding MAY be helpful in getting one of the above.

on another note, we COULD pick BOTH Harrison brothers in the second under this mock.

so if we're dreaming.......how about:

#10 pick traded to Philly for Noel.

#21- Dekker

Harrison
Harrison

Very Happy
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:33 pm

With Danny's Ft Knox collection of drafts picks he should be able to move up in the draft to select anyone that he wants.  Picks and a player or two gets the Celtics what they want.

It is up to our illustrious GM to pull off the BIG trade.

I would definitely not rely on a specific ping pong ball coming our way.  

Not sure that Okafor is the guy I would draft.  His rebounding and shot blocking stats are not impressive.  If Embiid is ready to play next year I would expect Philly to do some wheeling and dealing.

The Celtics will probably also be in need of a small forward since it is very likely that Jeff Green will opt out since he can get more money as a free agent.  So Jeff may not even be available to package in a trade for the 2015 draft.

I fully expect Danny to trade Jeff Green before the trading deadline unless they agree beforehand to resign him for x number of dollars.

I think that if you look at the Celtics needs at this point it becomes more complicated.  

We still need a defensive minded PF (will Wright be here next year?)

We need a defensive minded center (Zeller gets us closer but still falls short)

We need a small forward (can the 6' 6" young develop into a SG/SF)  Jeff Green will not be here next year.

We need another shooter off the bench (Thornton will be gone)

A lot of needs here.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:54 pm

dBoss,

Young is your sniper SG ..............IF HE IS GIVEN A CHANCE TO PLAY!

They talk in the articles that one of Brad's problems is he has to evaluate talent.............well GD it,  play Young and evaluate the kid! He shot the lights out in D League.............now give him his playing time to see if he is a keeper or if he should be packaged in a trade!

On another note, the Celtics should have pulled a good ass't coach out of a good program such as SA and bring the guy in to coach.  he would have a very good basketball foundation coming from a top program, and he would KNOW THE NBA SYSTEM ....so as to teach the young kids quickly how to play in the NBA.

We have Stevens who is learning the NBA on the fly and it could take another 2 years before he gets it.........if ever!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:15 pm

I don't think it's a given that Green opts out next year.

2015 is not the year to be an UFA

2016 IS.

IF Green( or his agent) really wants the biggest bang for the buck, then taking his player option at $9.4M next year and becoming a FA in 2016 is the right move.

we also don't know if Green feels any debt to Ainge for signing him to his current deal right after heart surgery. Ainge gave him a deal that very good for him and at a time when his value was at bottom.

so when someone says it's a given that green opts out...I am not not so sure.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:31 pm

kdp59 wrote:I don't think it's a given that Green opts out next year.

2015 is not the year to be an UFA

2016 IS.

IF Green( or his agent) really wants the biggest bang for the buck, then taking his player option at $9.4M next year and becoming a FA in 2016 is the right move.

we also don't know if Green feels any debt to Ainge for signing him to his current deal right after heart surgery. Ainge gave him a deal that very good for him and at a time when his value was at bottom.

so when someone says it's a given that green opts out...I am not not  so sure.

I think he will opt out this year. The fact that the following year the cap numbers increase should not really effect him. If he opts out he can sign a long term contract and the team that signs him understands that they will have more room to do so.

I say get your money now. Too many things can happen if you wait.

I think you may assume that if he waits one more year he can get a better deal. I do not agree with that. Since his contract will probably be a 5 year deal it can be structured to take advantage of a teams projected revenue increase. I think we are looking at something in the $15 million range to start.

Why take $9.4 next year when you can get much more.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down