tjmakz
wide clyde
bobheckler
dboss
11 posters

Go down

2015 Celtics Draft Picks Empty 2015 Celtics Draft Picks

Post by dboss Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:31 pm

As part of the Rondo trade, Boston gets Dallas's first round pick however it is protected for picks 1-3 and 15-30.  It is very unlikely that Dallas will finish in the 4-14 range and therefore this pick probably will not be made until next year (1-7) protected.

1st round from the Clippers.  Currently projected at # 21

1st round their own pick currently projected at # 9

1st round from Philly via Miami protected 1-14, currently projected at 12,  option is a 2nd round from Philly in 2015

2015 second round draft pick from Washington
Washington's 2015 2nd round pick to Boston protected for selections 31-49 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Washington's obligation to Boston will be extinguished) [Boston-Washington, 7/19/2014]
Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#7DDfkSkYM3yUJAxr.99

2015 second round pick their own - projected at # 39

In sum the Celtics are guaranteed 2 1st round picks this year currently slotted at # 9 and # 21

The Philly pick is very interesting because it is contingent on how The Heat finish up.  I am rooting for the heat to be one of the top 15 teams record wise this year.  Worse case scenario will be Philly's 2nd rounder which will be a high second rounder given Philly's last place projected finish.

Those picks may not get the Celtics what they need.  I think that Jeff Green will be traded next month because I think he will opt out of his $9.2 million contract and explore free agency opportunities.  At this point none of us know if Ainge wants to retain him.  Ainge is unlikely to let him walk out of the door for nothing.  If he is still on the team after February it would lead me to believe that Green is part of the current rebuilding program.  He could opt out and resign a long term deal with the Celtics.

Each year the draft is sprinkled with players that are drafted outside of the lottery selections and often times they are buried in the 2nd round.  

The other unknown is need.  What do the Celtics need to become a good team.  Will they end up trading their picks for a veteran or to move up in the draft.

Ainge needs to be on his game with respect to player evaluations.  It is my opinion that he has produced average results in his draft selections.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

2015 Celtics Draft Picks Empty Re: 2015 Celtics Draft Picks

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:21 pm

I'd love for Danny to move up.  There are a number of quality centers available in this draft (vs  last year where there weren't many) and I am still salivating at the possibility of snagging Kristap Porzingis.  I don't think he'll be there at 9, though.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 pm

I would think that having all of these draft picks for the next few years is going to lead to several trades that will happen some time before the draft in late June. There is no way that Ainge waits for all of these draft picks to become experienced players later down the road. He surely wants to see the Cs become very competitive much sooner than the 2020 season.

Predicting what the GM will do is something that I never seem to get right, but I expect at least some of those many draft picks to go for a top spot in this year's draft unless the Cs, themselves, land one of the picks in the top 4 via the lottery if they are in the lottery. Some other picks will go for a young, talented guy who may not have yet had a chance to become a star player.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:23 am

dboss wrote:As part of the Rondo trade, Boston gets Dallas's first round pick however it is protected for picks 1-3 and 15-30.  It is very unlikely that Dallas will finish in the 4-14 range and therefore this pick probably will not be made until next year (1-7) protected.

1st round from the Clippers.  Currently projected at # 21

1st round their own pick currently projected at # 9

1st round from Philly via Miami protected 1-14, currently projected at 12,  option is a 2nd round from Philly in 2015

2015 second round draft pick from Washington
Washington's 2015 2nd round pick to Boston protected for selections 31-49 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Washington's obligation to Boston will be extinguished) [Boston-Washington, 7/19/2014]
Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#7DDfkSkYM3yUJAxr.99

2015 second round pick their own - projected at # 39

In sum the Celtics are guaranteed 2 1st round picks this year currently slotted at # 9 and # 21

The Philly pick is very interesting because it is contingent on how The Heat finish up.  I am rooting for the heat to be one of the top 15 teams record wise this year.  Worse case scenario will be Philly's 2nd rounder which will be a high second rounder given Philly's last place projected finish.

Those picks may not get the Celtics what they need.  I think that Jeff Green will be traded next month because I think he will opt out of his $9.2 million contract and explore free agency opportunities.  At this point none of us know if Ainge wants to retain him.  Ainge is unlikely to let him walk out of the door for nothing.  If he is still on the team after February it would lead me to believe that Green is part of the current rebuilding program.  He could opt out and resign a long term deal with the Celtics.

Each year the draft is sprinkled with players that are drafted outside of the lottery selections and often times they are buried in the 2nd round.  

The other unknown is need.  What do the Celtics need to become a good team.  Will they end up trading their picks for a veteran or to move up in the draft.

Ainge needs to be on his game with respect to player evaluations.  It is my opinion that he has produced average results in his draft selections.  

dboss

dboss,

I am pretty sure the 2015 Philly pick is coming directly from Philly and has nothing to do with Miami's pick.
It was sent to Boston via Miami in the Joel Anthony trade.
Since Philly will not make the playoffs, Boston will get a very high 2nd round pick this season from Philly (maybe #31) and then will get a second round pick from Miami in 2016.

•2015 — Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise becomes 2015 and 2016 second-rounders) from Philadelphia 76ers (Arnett Moultrie, Joel Anthony).
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:47 am

The text (from dboss link) reads:

2015 first round draft pick from Philadelphia

Philadelphia's 2015 1st round pick to Boston (via Miami) protected for selections 1-14; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Boston

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#7DDfkSkYM3yUJAxr.99

This is all very confusing. After I read some of the draft pick scenarios on the realgm site, I believe that Philly's actual draft pick came to us via a trade we made with Miami, so it is determined by Philly's end of season standings, not Miami's.

Also, the lost first rounder turns into two second rounders, 2015 and 2016, both from Philly. Miami is not involved in this second round action.

Philly does have a different first round pick in 2015. It came to them from Miami via Cleveland. It has different protections (1-10, 1-10 and none) in the next three years than the actual Philly one we are getting (1-14) for 2015.

Like I said, this is all very confusing.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:I'd love for Danny to move up.  There are a number of quality centers available in this draft (vs  last year where there weren't many) and I am still salivating at the possibility of snagging Kristap Porzingis.  I don't think he'll be there at 9, though.

bob

I don't think anyone would ever trade a top five pick for multiple mid/low 1st rounders in today's nba. Also, although all I ever hear about it is "all of our assets", I don't see any nba teams other than the Celtics trading established nba talent for picks. Minnesota had absolutely no interest in "our assets" during the summer of Love (though that may end up being a good thing....). Hope I am wrong, but, I don't see us turning this thing around anytime soon...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:26 pm

gyso wrote:The text (from dboss link) reads:

2015 first round draft pick from Philadelphia

Philadelphia's 2015 1st round pick to Boston (via Miami) protected for selections 1-14; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Boston

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#7DDfkSkYM3yUJAxr.99

This is all very confusing.  After I read some of the draft pick scenarios on the realgm site, I believe that Philly's actual draft pick came to us via a trade we made with Miami, so it is determined by Philly's end of season standings, not Miami's.

Also, the lost first rounder turns into two second rounders, 2015 and 2016, both from Philly.  Miami is not involved in this second round action.

Philly does have a different first round pick in 2015.  It came to them from Miami via Cleveland.  It has different protections (1-10, 1-10 and none) in the next three years than the actual Philly one we are getting (1-14) for 2015.

Like I said, this is all very confusing.

gyso

I see that now. Thanks GYSO...So the Philly's first rounder is going to turn into be a 2015 2nd rounder (early 2nd round) and a future 2016 2nd rounder.

Still not bad to go along with the Celtics other 1st round picks (2) and 2nd round pick.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:12 pm

This post is to notify all members that, for meritorious service in trying to decifer the enigma known as draftpickitis, participants in this thread will be awarded all-expense-paid trips to the warm weather islands of their choice. Option: trip may be deferred until release from their local sanitoriums. Award protected if the sun does not shine in my part of the country on any of the next 120 days.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:I'd love for Danny to move up.  There are a number of quality centers available in this draft (vs  last year where there weren't many) and I am still salivating at the possibility of snagging Kristap Porzingis.  I don't think he'll be there at 9, though.

bob

I don't think anyone would ever trade a top five pick for multiple mid/low 1st rounders in today's nba. Also, although all I ever hear about it is "all of our assets", I don't see any nba teams other than the Celtics trading established nba talent for picks. Minnesota had absolutely no interest in "our assets" during the summer of Love (though that may end up being a good thing....). Hope I am wrong, but, I don't see us turning this thing around anytime soon...

How about trading picks and a player to move up?

Also the Celtics look to be a solid lottery team and I expect them struggle the rest of the way. I can see them as one of the 5 worse teams by season end.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:25 pm

dboss wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

bob

Also the Celtics look to be a solid lottery team and I expect them struggle the rest of the way.  I can see them as one of the 5 worse teams by season end.

Dboss

Pick and a player might do the trick in general, but probably not any of the players the Celtic's can offer - look at what we got for Rondo... You may very well be right that we will get a top 5 pick based on our record.

I'm not a huge fan of building through the draft, but we don't really have any other options. Recently, the only teams that I can think of who won championships with stars they drafted are: 1) Spurs (Duncan); 2) Lakers (Kobe); 3) Celtics (Pierce); and 4) 2006 Miami (Wade). Of those teams, I don't think its fair to say the Celtics or the Lakers built those teams via the draft. Technically, the latest Spurs dynasty was built through the draft, but not via the tanking route (Parker was the 28th pick, Ginobli the 57th), so using them as a template is not realistic. The 2006 Miami team was no doubt Wade's team, but having a still-relevant Shaq didn't hurt. The two best players of the current generation, Lebron and Durant, have never won anything with the teams that drafted them. Lebron already left (and returned to Cleveland) and Durant is in his 8th year with OKC, a team largely lauded for smart drafting and team building. Building through the draft ain't easy. That being said, Danny is a hell of a lot smarter than I am, and hopefully he has something up his sleeve...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:19 pm

Shamrock,

I share your aversion to trying to build through the crapshoot known as the draft, especially by accumulating a load of draft picks that will probably be low ones or are somehow protected. I also believe going through free agency is more likely to end up with an over the hill injury-prone guy than a rapidly rising young guy.

That leaves trades. And I don't buy the claim that the Celtics have nothing to trade.

If teams will expend draft picks for players, those players have enough value to attract other players in return. And the likelihood of getting good players in return is buttressed by the salary equalization provision and/or sweetening the deal with draft picks.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:59 am

dboss wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

bob

Also the Celtics look to be a solid lottery team and I expect them struggle the rest of the way.  I can see them as one of the 5 worse teams by season end.

Dboss

Draftexpress.com has Cauley-Stein going 4th and Porzingis right behind him at 5th.   The chances of Danny being able to move THAT far up to have a shot at one of them is a possibility.  It would take picks, players and maybe swallowing another bad contract to do it, but possible.  Both of them?  Probably not, not unless Porzingis falls because he's  a Euro and not coming out of a US program (that isn't as big a deal anymore) and/or Cauley-Stein gets injured and teams don't want to take a chance.

I'd hate to be Danny.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Since the draft is a crapshoot, maybe we'll get lucky. OKC gets so much credit for smart drafting, but only because they picked behind Portland the year Durant came out. If they'd had the first pick, they might have taken whats-his-name, the monster center, who never amounted to a hill of beans. Parker at 28 and Ginobli at 57? Smart drafting, sure, but also incredible luck and great coaching.

If you look back at some of Red's picks, you see how much luck was involved: Bill Russell, who couldn't shoot and was too skinny; Sam Jones, who Red had never even heard of until he took the recommendation of Bones McKinney, a former player; John Havlicek, recommended by Curt Gowdy, a tv announcer (after seeing John in his first practice, Red gloated, "People are gonna think I'm sooo smart!"; Dave Cowens, a 6'8" center? This board would have blasted him for it. Larry Bird (qouth Red, "I knew he was good, but not that good!") Len Bias. "Time and chance happeneth to us all."

You rebuild through trades, signings and the draft. This last draft, Danny added two players, Smart and Young, who will be core building blocks for years to come. Sully is a blue chipper, one of those guys who will keep improving and working on his game every offseason until he retires. Zeller was an excellent pickup: you don't think Cleveland would love to have him back right now?

As GM, Danny's not one of these guys who sits on his ass and does nothing, waiting for miracles to happen. He's going to push and shove, always looking for opportunities. He'll make mistakes but once in a while he'll make a miracle. KG, anyone? Remember, this team hadn't won a championship without Red Auerbach until Danny took charge. Cut him some slack, Jack.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Spike, I think Greg Oden was the monster center you mentioned.

You're right about the fact that Danny will probably continue to be aggressive in trying to rebuld this team. It's also true that no single player or nucleus of players are guaranteed building blocks. Every single player on the team has warts of some kind—in terms of both a future with the Celtics and a present as trade bait.

Where to start? Where to start? The easy answer, which several of us have been pushing for years, is Mr. Intimidator. But that chore is obviously much easier said than done. And, based on the recent declines of guys like Jeff Green and Avery Bradley, I'm wondering whether a premier floor general should now become the priority because (1) he'd probably be more available than Mr. Intimidator in the draft, and (2) his performance, above all others, affects all four of his teammates at any point in time.

I don't mean this as a relaxation of my desire for Mr. Intimidator. But, while we're clipping our nails waiting for that to happen, improving the chemistry of the team as it stands is one of the best roads to development of the team and development of trade bait. I believe that improving the team's collaborative play is difficult-to-impossible without a motor to activate the car.

And, no, I don't think Smart's future is as a floor general. Call it lack of stuff that must be felt instinctively rather than taught at that position.

I agree with BobH. I'd hate to be Danny.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:11 pm

since I was readingd some draft stuff now, just for fun

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

8. Bos- Trey Lyles 6-10, 250- Kentucky. Compared to Carlos Boozer or Sean May. sounds like a bigger B. Bass who rebounds better to me.

NOTE: Porzingis and Cauley-Stein both still on the board here.

21. Kelly Oubre 6-7, 200- Kansas- no infor listed about him

NOTE: C. Alexnader and F. Kamminsky are stil on the board here.

38. Rakeem Christmas 6-9, 250- Syracuse- compared to Cedric Simmons, supposedly a good shot blocker, but a big man from Syracuse....maybe too soon.

53. Andrew Harrison- Kentucky. he's the PG part of the Harrison twins.

and another one:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/list/

8. Stanley Johnson- hell yeah!

21. Tyrus Jones, PG Duke

38. Cedi Osman - Euro combo guard

53. Michael Frazier, SG Florida

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:20 pm

kdp

Christmas from SU has improved his game a lot since he was in JB's eternal doghouse 2 years ago....he is holding down the middle of the 2-3 zone and that in itself is a large concern. Man to man defense might be something that is questionable. Plus not a lot of offensive moves and in the NBA nearly everyone will be eye to eye with him. Not a lot more upside as far as I see.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:28 pm

beat wrote:kdp

Christmas from SU has improved his game a lot since he was in JB's eternal doghouse 2 years ago....he is holding down the middle of the 2-3 zone and that in itself is a large concern. Man to man defense might be something that is questionable. Plus not a lot of offensive moves and in the NBA nearly everyone will be eye to eye with him. Not a lot more upside as far as I see.

beat

thanks for the inside info, pretty much what it said about him at the website I linked.

BTW, those are not my picks, just what some of the "early Birds" are saying today.

Give me Johnson at #8 and somehow Cauley -Stien at #21 and call it day for me!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:19 pm

8. Bos- Trey Lyles 6-10, 250- Kentucky. Compared to Carlos Boozer or Sean May. sounds like a bigger B. Bass who rebounds better to me.
This is an example of why these mock drafts are useless -- they just put their favorite players in order regardless of team need or anything else. Does the person doing this mock draft think the Celtics need another power forward?

Plus, comparing him to Carlos Boozer and Sean May -- is that supposed to get people excited about Lyles or scare them off?

38. Rakeem Christmas 6-9, 250- Syracuse- compared to Cedric Simmons, supposedly a good shot blocker, but a big man from Syracuse....maybe too soon.
I think Boston has used up its quota of risky big men who anchor the Syracuse 2-3 zone.

And who is Cedric Simmons? Again, this is supposed to be a ringing endorsement?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Outside,

Draftnet does that with all the players/projects they opine on.

I kinda like the NBA comparisons myself as I am not a big college ball watcher.

yes they sometimes will say a player could compare to Boozer (his upside) or May (his worst case). A pretty BIG sway there, but I for one get an idea of what type of player her is.

I remember Cedric Simmons. one of the few I guess

LOL.

take it all with a grain of salt, but if we are going to have get excited about drafting, so be it.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 pm

kdp59 wrote:Outside,

Draftnet does that with all the players/projects they  opine on.

I kinda like the NBA comparisons myself as I am not a big college ball watcher.

yes they sometimes will say a player could compare to Boozer (his upside) or May (his worst case). A pretty BIG sway there, but I for one get an idea of what type of player her is.

I remember Cedric Simmons. one of the few I guess

LOL.

take it all with a grain of salt, but if we are going to have get excited about drafting, so be it.

Kdp,

For someone who says they don't watch much college ball you did a better job with your mock draft last year than every, single major draft board.   I did the post-draft analysis, you were within two picks of where players were actually drafted more times than draftexpress.com, nbadraft.net, mynbadraft.com and CBS Sports' gaggle of predictors.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Bob,

I just used their info and then made lucky guess' based on what teams were drafting when.

heck a couple years ago I got all types of guffaws for saying I thought Bennett would be the top pick.....I was more surprised than anyone that he actually WAS.

that was the one where I said..." you've all been great, I retire".

so I'm just lucky sometimes .

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:58 pm

kdp59 wrote:Bob,

I just used their info and then made lucky guess' based on what teams were drafting when.

heck a couple years ago I got all types of guffaws for saying I thought Bennett would be the top pick.....I was more surprised than anyone that he actually WAS.

that was the one where I said..." you've all been great, I retire".

so I'm just lucky sometimes .

KDP59

Maybe we should merge your recent Thread with this one. keep everything together.

Another good site is http://nbadraft.net/

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:10 pm

I'll ask gyso to merge this thread with the other one and make it a sticky.  I don't want to lose anything by mistake, and he knows what he's doing.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down