+3
Sam
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
7 posters

Go down

How quickly things can change Empty How quickly things can change

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:28 pm

From the point of absolute euphoria when the Celtics were leading GS Sunday 56-30 with about 6 1/2 minutes to go in the first half to the end of the third quarter tonight when they trailed 95-53 - a period of only 5 1/2 quarters - Boston was outscored by a staggering 171-98.

After a near flawless first 18 minutes against the Warriors Sunday, I didn't see that coming. Granted, Celts have limited talent on their roster and no inside defensive presence, but this was beyond brutal. Quite a shock to the system. I know who we were playing but 171-98???

steve3344

Back to top Go down

How quickly things can change Empty Re: How quickly things can change

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 am

Playoffs? playoffs? this team is not representative of this franchise in a playoff run, can't have it both ways, if we are rebuilding, rebuild, more than half this roster will not be here by the time were contending....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:54 am

I have no idea what the big deal is.

The Celtics are a middling team at best (and that's probably being kind).  They beat a much lousier team, then they pulled out a thriller against a comparably talented (or untalented) team.  They they lost to a far better team after nearly beating them.  Then they lost to another powerful team that was really up for the game after losing two straight (one in humiliating fashion).

The Celtics are still getting used to one another.  Isaiah Thomas, in particular,is struggling with how much he can trust his teammates, and he's taking too much responsibility upon himself.  They seem committed to living and dying by the three; and, if you're a mediocre three-piont-shooting team, which way is that likely to go more often than not.  They're no longer surprising teams, who will have scouted how the Warriors and Cavs beat them.  They're talent-deprived, particularly in terms of bigs.  They have no alternative other than to go small in the clutch and, in fact, in much of the games; which is a major limitation against more gifted teams.

I don't get it.  What the heck is the big deal?  If fans let their expectations get unrealistically high in the euphoria of a 7-3 span, that's not the Celtics' problem.  It's the fans' problem.

Hey, I'm not predicting any playoffs.  I'm not predicting one friggin' thing except that I expect to enjoy watching the development of this team and I believe they'll be trying hard.  Perhaps a couple of positives came out of the dismal Cavs game in the form of some good shooting by Young and Datome in garbage time.  Who knows how that will all play out?

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 am

LOL...we lose to maybe the two teams that will play in the finals this year, and the sky is falling?

I just cannot understand why fans wants this team to lose and not make the playoffs , for a draft pick that might be one place higher!

do they really think that one or three spots is going to bring us a much better player?

we are NOT getting a top 5 pick this year. If THAT was the hope, it's over. Start rooting for the team to WIN.

Ainge will be able to sign ANY FA this off-season, that wants to come here. Tome to quit thinking the draft is all we have to improve next season.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 am

kdp theres a big difference between having a shot to pick 5-10 and at 16 and above....I don't think this is a playoff team, too many obvious flaws....I want a shot at a better guard.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 am

Sam middling team is too kind IMHO. We would get killed by Kentucky.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:43 am

kdp59

"I just cannot understand why fans wants this team to lose and not make the playoffs , for a draft pick that might be one place higher!

do they really think that one or three spots is going to bring us a much better player?"

In response to your above statement I offer my own personal reasons.
     I've been an adult Celtic fan for 66 years and over the years I have seen the agony of defeat become less meaningful for me. It is however, absolutely 100% necessary that the players and coach play to win at all times. The integrity of the game depend on this. Now when I view the game from the General Managers view point I can understand why the importance of a win can be compromised - especially when it comes to a draft pick for a sub 500 club. I don't have a clue as to what Danny's draft board looks like but I would hazard a guess that the closer his pick is to the number 1 pick - the bigger the smile on his face. General Mangers, you see, have reasons to view the game differently. Of course,  all of the above is just one fans  opinion, By the way,  Danny traded up just 3 spots to get a player he wanted in the 2013 draft. {Olynyk}

swish

Last edited by swish on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 am

Swish, your point about playing to win is nicely put.  And, after the drafting order has been established by the ping pong balls, it is normal that, the higher a team's pick is, the happier the general manager will be.

The issue that divides a lot of fans is one of timing.  BEFORE the ping pong balls decide the order of the lottery picks, the well-documented crap shoot aspects of the draft make it kind of laughable to watch all the armchair handicappers turning themselves inside out and mocking their drafts in hopes that their team will (wink wink) lose as many games as possible, when the end result could be that the team's selection might become even lower than their ranking in the all-important "lost" column.  That's the crap shoot nature of the lottery, and it was intentionally designed to be that way.

AFTER the ping pong balls have done their job, and AFTER the craps have been shot, the mock drafts and draft conjecture make a lot more sense.  Of course, drafting higher is actuarially likely to be more productive than drafting lower.

It's all a matter of timing.

By the way, I hope you're warm and dug out down there in Attleboro.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 pm

sam wrote:  I'm not predicting one friggin' thing except that I expect to enjoy watching the development of this team and I believe they'll be trying hard.  [/size]

Sam

Sam,

Hmmm...

I've known you for some time now and I don't think I've ever heard you say, or seen you write, the term "friggin'."

Sometimes it's the little things that are the most entertaining...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Sam

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/21/4348616/nba-draft-lottery-history-derrick-rose-lebron-james

Chart at the end of this link confirms the futility of depending on the  lottery to be of much help if ranking outside of the top few going into the lottery drawing.
      As far as the snow situation here in No Attleboro-- Pretty much the same as the greater Boston area. The side walks could be better. My motorized wheel chair needs to be winterized to include those tank treads that we saw on those old WW2 half tracts.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:03 pm

NYCelt,

i've used it on a number of occasions on the forum.  It's one of my favorite words to convey in public what I would otherwise say only in private.  To me, it means the same as "doggone."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Swish,

Well, hunker down and keep warm.  If I hear of any tank-treaded wheel chair being involved in an Attleboro bank holdup, I'll know where to look.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:26 pm

sam wrote:NYCelt,

i've used it on a number of occasions on the forum.  It's one of my favorite words to convey in public what I would otherwise say only in private.  To me, it means the same as "doggone."

Sam

The Urban Dictionary defines it as:

frigging
[frig-in, -ing]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
adjective, adverb, Slang: Vulgar.
(used as a euphemistic intensifier).
Origin Expand
1700-17101700-10 for earlier gerund sense; 1920-25 for current sense; frig1+ -ing2; euphemistically echoing fucking
frig1
[frig] Slang: Vulgar.
Spell Syllables
verb (used with object), frigged, frigging.
to copulate with.
to take advantage of; victimize.
to masturbate.
verb (used without object), frigged, frigging.
to copulate.
to masturbate.
Verb phrases
frig around /about, to fool around; waste time.
Origin Expand
1425-75; earlier, to move about restlessly, rub; late Middle English friggen to quiver

When I was traveling I asked a German if it was similar to a German word that means the above and she said 'yes'.

So, you're not being polite, Sam, you're just being international and traditional..

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 pm

That's me in a nutshell, Bob.  International and traditional.  Especially in this frig-
id weather.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down