Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter: 'It's Not For Everybody'

5 posters

Go down

Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter:  'It's Not For Everybody' Empty Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter: 'It's Not For Everybody'

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:39 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/thomas-4th-quarter-it-s-not-everybody

Thomas on 4th quarter: ‘It’s not for everybody’
March 7, 2015, 12:15 am

Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter:  'It's Not For Everybody' Byline-blakely

The Boston Celtics found themselves in another tight game in the fourth quarter, and Isaiah Thomas could not have been any happier.

That’s because the 5-foot-9 guard lives for these kind of games; the kind that are often decided by a clutch shot – the kind of shots that he has made often since joining the Celtics last month.

Friday night was no exception as Thomas’ fourth quarter scoring was major factor in Boston’s 104-98 win over New Orleans.

Thomas led all Celtics with 27 points, 14 of which were scored in the fourth quarter.

“Guys start tightening up in the fourth,” Thomas told reporters after the game. “It’s not for everybody. It’s different from the first half or the third quarter, especially in a close game. I kind of like that. I like close games. I like being the guy.”

There is no mistaking the neon green light the Celtics have given Thomas whenever he is on the floor. And to his credit, he has made the most of his opportunities to score in bunches even if that means doing it as a non-starter.

One of the issues Thomas had in Phoenix was the fact that he was coming off the bench and not starting.

While it has not been a problem in Boston yet, Thomas remains steadfast in his desire to be a starter.

“I would love to start,” Thomas said. “But it’s his (Brad Stevens) decision. If I’m out there playing, I’m gonna be fine. I tell everybody. People act like it’s a problem if someone says it, they want to start. I don’t know anyone who wants to come off the bench. But I would love to start, but whatever is best for the team I’m here to do. I’m just trying to fit in and be me and try to win as many games as possible and get to the playoffs. If coming off the bench is what I need to do, then I’m gonna do it to the best of my ability.”

Stevens echoed similar sentiments about Thomas who was under consideration for starting in place of Avery Bradley who is out with a left elbow injury.

Instead of Thomas, Stevens opted to start Jae Crowder who had a near double-double with 11 points and nine rebounds along with four steals.

Stevens understands that Thomas wants to be a starter. But for the Celtics, he is best served in the role of a high-impact scorer off the bench.

And while Thomas has made no secret about wanting to be a starter, he hasn’t been a problem for Stevens to coach.

“He’s exited trying to help our team,” Stevens said. “Anybody who’s like that, with the kind of swagger that he brings … but he balances that with a coachable humility that I think a lot of guys can learn from.”

And Thomas to his credit has learned from some of the greats who in Thomas’ eyes, seemed to be at their best in late-game situations.

“Watching those kind of guys … I’m a basketball junkie,” Thomas said. “They love that time, being that guy making the big shot, making the big play. I just want to be one of those guys.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter:  'It's Not For Everybody' Empty Re: Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter: 'It's Not For Everybody'

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:43 pm

For some reason, I wonder whether Isaiah would click as well with the starters as with the bench.  In order to maximize his utility, he needs a certain degree of latitude in his decision-making.  One never knows whether, as part of another combination, he would have that freedom.

On the other hand, he's actually playing with one or more starters at the end of games.  At one time or another, Bass, Turner, Smart and even Zeller have been part of end-of-game combinations.  It hasn't seemed particularly difficult for him to seize the reins of whatever group he's playing with.

My guess is that Brad has taken note of the starters' occasional ability to race out to leads.  (They're also demonstrated the ability to race out to deficits.)  He may be hoping they can make fast starts more regularly and then come out with a second group that will actually up the pace.  A great way to capitalize on the superiority over the opponent's second unit and/or force the opposing coach to keep his starters on the floor more than is advantageous.

As it is, although none of the Celtics' opponents has fallen over and played dead at the end, I do believe that the combinations Brad has put on the floor throughout the game have done a pretty good job of making their opponents (of all ability levels except those of the Cavs) work very hard for whatever they get.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter:  'It's Not For Everybody' Empty Re: Isaiah Thomas on the 4th Quarter: 'It's Not For Everybody'

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:48 pm

sam wrote:For some reason, I wonder whether Isaiah would click as well with the starters as with the bench.  In order to maximize his utility, he needs a certain degree of latitude in his decision-making.  One never knows whether, as part of another combination, he would have that freedom.

On the other hand, he's actually playing with one or more starters at the end of games.  At one time or another, Bass, Turner, Smart and even Zeller have been part of end-of-game combinations.  It hasn't seemed particularly difficult for him to seize the reins of whatever group he's playing with.

My guess is that Brad has taken note of the starters' occasional ability to race out to leads.  (They're also demonstrated the ability to race out to deficits.)  He may be hoping they can make fast starts more regularly and then come out with a second group that will actually up the pace.  A great way to capitalize on the superiority over the opponent's second unit and/or force the opposing coach to keep his starters on the floor more than is advantageous.

As it is, although none of the Celtics' opponents has fallen over and played dead at the end, I do believe that the combinations Brad has put on the floor throughout the game have done a pretty good job of making their opponents (of all ability levels except those of the Cavs) work very hard for whatever they get.

Sam

sam,

What you said makes a lot of sense. Also, though, Isaiah excels working off a pick-and-roll. An effective picker, therefore, will make a big difference. Zeller and Bass set good picks. Sully, when he was playing, did too.

On the bench, Jerebko sets good picks. Kelly should, and did before the injury, but we'll see how he comes back. The problem with Isaiah and Kelly is that Kelly is better built for the pick-and-pop than the pick-and-roll and I don't see Isaiah throwing the ball back to Kelly. Jerebko, on the other hand, consistently follows Isaiah to the rim after Isaiah comes off his pick and rockets down the lane.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I know a bunch of people probably know this but this guy was drafted #30 - in the SECOND round.

That's right, 60 out of the 60 that were drafted that night in 2011.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for those who might not be aware of it. And obviously that's because he's a munchkin. But it's great he's now our munchkin. And what a thrilling munchkin he is.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm not much for singling out individuals.  But can there be any doubt that he's the single biggest catalyst in the changes that seem to be pushing the team to higher levels?  His self-confidence might even be a larger and more infectious part of his value than his on-court performance, although a strong case could be made either way.

I'm watching him closely for any signs that he's allowing his ego to get too fat (which could always be a problem), but so far I'm not seeing it.  He freely admits that he loves the stage and wants to be "the man" but I see no sign that he means "the star."  I believe he means "the catalyst."  I believe Cousy would have said the same.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Crunch time in a game is definitely not for everybody. Great to see Thomas saying he considers it his time, and actually doing good things at crunch time.

I think it was Larry who said the game slowed down during the big moments. That feeling can not be learned and must be part of a players makeup. Bodes well for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:05 am

BobH,

Actually, it could be that Crowder sets more picks than anyone else on the bench.  They're almost all brush picks (r.i.p. Vitor), but he almost always sets them on his way somewhere, so they're gratuitous.  And a brush pick is all Isaiah needs to be on his merry way.

Actually, I now think of the Celtics as having three units:

• The starters

• The bench (usually supplemented by at least one starter

• The finishers

The finishers are my favorite bunch to watch.  They're a great mix of a major catalyst (Thomas) and four players who know their roles, play those roles quite well, and are always ready to sublimate their contributions when appropriate.  There are really only two "regulars" among the finishers—Thomas and Crowder.  We've seen most of the starters and other bench players fill out the remaining three slots at one time or another.

I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, and I might even roast myself because I'm not fond of talking about individuals as opposed to the team.  But I happen to think that, in terms of the roles they are expected to fill with this Celtics team, Thomas and Crowder are the two best players on the team.  With Thomas as the catalyst and Crowder (as I believe you characterized him) the glue, they are a very effective core for the finishers.

Right now, I believe Bass and Thomas are the two MVPs of the team.  But Crowder is right up there with them:

• Need a rebounder?  No problem.

• Need someone to draw a defender and slip a deft inside pass to a cutting Steady Eddie?  No problem.

• Need someone to spell Bass in guarding Anthony Davis or an opposing "5?"  No problem.

• Need someone to make a key steal?  No problem.

• Need someone to shoot a timely three?  (Ugh!) I can't say, "No problem," and I do cringe when he shoots them.  But, of the current Celtics who have shot more than a couple of threes, he ranks fifth in three-point percentage at 32%.  And he's enough of a three-point threat to help space the floor.

• Need someone to take the ball to the hoop efficiently?  No problem.

• Need someone to run the floor?  No problem.

• Need someone to space the floor?  No problem.

• Need someone to set a timely (brush) pick?  No problem.

• Need someone to roll to the basket?  No problem.

• Need an injection of energy?  No problem.

• Need someone who protects the ball?  No problem.

• Need someone to play the "2"," "3," or "4?"  No problem.

• Need someone to double or trap on defense?  No problem.

The last Celtic I recall who fit most of these criteria wore #17.  I'm not comparing their skills, just saying that their respective strengths fit a similar profile.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Sam,

Great comparison of Crowder to Havlicek.

This guy has been one of the most valuable trade throw-ins that I can remember, and I would very much expect him to be back next year.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Clyde, I was afraid people would think I was comparing Havlicek's and Crowder's greatness.  That would be beyond preposterous.  I just think they share similar types of contributions.  One thing that Jae can do that John was not called upon to do (although I wouldn't doubt any ability when it comes to John) was to guard bigs.  Havlicek's shooting (which was actually suspect at first) was far better than Jae's.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down