+5
Sloopjohnb
cowens/oldschool
Sam
wide clyde
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's Empty Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:26 pm

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonceltics&id=4718237&city=boston

Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's

By Chris Forsberg | March 7, 2015 4:00:00 PM PST

Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's Bos_g_jerebko1x_576x324
Steve Babineau/Getty Images
Jonas Jerebko has given Boston's bench a boost since arriving from Detroit.

Boston Celtics newcomer Jonas Jerebko was fielding questions about his native Sweden before a recent game and explaining how basketball is maybe the "fifth or sixth biggest sport" in the Scandinavian country behind both some not-so surprising ( hockey!) and obscure ( floorball?) activities.

While Swedish media flocked stateside to chronicle Jerebko as the first Swede in the NBA after he was drafted by the Detroit Pistons before the 2009-10 season, his rollercoaster journey in the league has become more of a footnote back home.

"You don’t see any Swedish media over here," shrugged Jerebko. "That probably tells it all."

Standing next to Jerebko, Boston Celtics vice president of media services/alumni relations swiped through his iPhone at that moment and pulled up an email from Sweden's largest newspaper requesting an interview with Jerebko.

"There you go," Jerebko said with a smile. "Now they’re starting to call."

And with good reason. Jerebko, acquired for virtually nothing at the trade deadline (the Celtics were likely going to buyout the player sent out, Tayshaun Prince, if they didn't move him) has carved out a consistent role off the Boston bench. He's averaging 8.4 points and 3.9 rebounds over a modest 17 minutes per game through seven appearances while shooting 52.5 percent from the floor and 55 percent beyond the 3-point arc.

But it's the team's advanced numbers that leap off the page with Jerebko, who has settled in as part of a energy-fueled second unit that has invigorated Boston since adding both Jerebko and Isaiah Thomas at the trade deadline. In the seven games he's appeared in since his arrival, the Celtics own a ridiculous offensive rating of 114.2 when Jerebko is on the floor (that's 13.2 points better than Boston's season average) and the team's defensive rating with Jerebko (100.4) is nothing to sneeze at either (nearly three points below Boston's season average). That net rating of plus-13.9, albeit in a small seven-game sample size, is best on the team.

The bigger takeaway is this: Jerebko is making the most of his time on the floor, bringing boundless energy at both ends. He's never been regarded as an above average defender, but he's been adequate in Boston holding opponents below their average in field goal percentage over the past six games (those opponents are shooting 43.1 percent overall, or 2.3 percent below their average). Jerebko struggles against more physical bigs near the basket, but uses his length and activity to disrupt shooters on the perimeter.

Jerebko subsists off his hustle. He flies after rebounds and loose balls at both ends of the court and that's infectious on Boston's scrappy second unit. Offensively, he's taking advantage of the open looks Boston's shooter-heavy lineups provide him.

His energy is obvious and Jerebko often exults after big plays. He's been a fist-pumping, tongue-wagging, backboard-slapping son-of-a-gun (see this Vine) and quickly endeared himself to his teammates.

As teammate Avery Bradley noted, "When he played for Detroit I knew he played very hard and all you can do is respect someone that plays that way. He makes big shots and that’s what he’s doing for us and I feel like he can really help our team out."

Back in October, Pistons coach/president of basketball operations Stan Van Gundy gushed about Jerebko's progress in the offseason and hoped a return to that energy-driven form would make him a more consistent contributor in Detroit.

"He's gotten stronger. He's in tremendous shape. I think the key with Jonas ... is he has to get back to being the guy he was when he first came in the league -- that hungry guy playing with incredible energy trying to make his spot."

Like much of his tenure in Detroit, Jerebko's playing time was inconsistent. By February he was expendable and the Pistons looked to add needed wing depth by flipping him and Luigi Datome for Prince.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge noted that Jerebko was a guy that Boston had inquired on at times in recent years and the trade afforded the team a 30-game look at him before he reached free agency.

When the team lost Jared Sullinger for the rest of the season due to a foot injury, it opened the door for immediate playing time for Jerebko, who continues to find minutes even as Kelly Olynyk works his way back from an ankle injury that sidelined him for 18 games.

"I think he’s been good on both ends. I’m not all that surprised," said Celtics coach Brad Stevens. "I thought he was a game-changer in a couple of our games against [Detroit] last year. When they got in foul trouble and went to their bench, I thought he made huge plays against us and really hurt us. To come out one night and give 20, then next night give 16, and fit in as well as he has, it’s a positive. Again, it’s a unique position because he’s been guarded mostly by bigs, by 5s. That’s probably a little bit different for him, too, but that’s an advantage on one end of the floor."

As Olynyk's minutes ramp back up, and if Boston ever gets completely healthy, it could make minutes a little harder to come by for Jerebko. He might have even breathed a sigh of relief when the Celtics and JaVale McGee couldn't strike a deal earlier this week as it would have crowded the frontcourt a bit.

Jerebko has made a strong impression. He's in the final year of a deal paying him $4.5 million this season and Boston will have his rights this summer with a chance to bring him back if they see room for him in the frontcourt (the team's draft and free-agent activities could dictate that, and his cap hold could force them to renounce his rights if they seek a big-splash at the start of free agency).

For now, the just-turned 28-year-old Jerebko (his birthday was Monday) is having the most fun since he first arrived in the league. He was happy to see fellow countryman Jeffery Taylor when the Hornets visited last month (and even happier when he helped the Celtics rally for a win that night). Jerebko has come to terms with the fact that everyone pronounces his name wrong here (back home it's You-nas, Yer-eb-ko) and he doesn't mind all the snow.

"There’s a month or a few weeks where the sun don’t come up [in Northern Sweden]," said Jerebko, recalling a post-grad year he spent there. "So it’s pretty bad. I was playing up there for one year after high school. You wake up and it’s dark, you go to practice and you come out of practice and each lunch in the dark, and it just stays dark."

Things are a lot brighter here and, reclining in a chair in front of his locker, Jerebko seemed the polar opposite of his personality on the floor.

"I try to be [calm] -- maybe not on the court," said Jerebko. "I get mad a lot on the court, but I try to stay clam and collective. On the court is a different story."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's Empty Re: Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's

Post by wide clyde Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Another of the nice additions that Ainge has made for this year's team that may or not be around again next year.

But, if he is back I think that he can fill a role on the '15-'16 team as well. He is fairly versatile and athletic and definitely plays with great enthusiasm. Not probably ever a starter but a good, enthusiastic role model sub type of guy, who should be signable for about 3 M on a two year deal during this off season.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's Empty Re: Jerebko has been one Swede pickup for C's

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:33 am

My favorite Celtics combination right now is Jerebko, Thomas, Crowder, Bass and Smart.  I'm also wondering whether GiGi Datome will get more minutes since he came up big on offense in limited minutes last night.

I'm not worried about the roster being crowded because, the more rotation-type players the Celtics have, the more trade assets they have.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:43 am

Sam I think Jerebko brings more to the table than Kelly O, but with all due respect, that line up sucks, and right now it might be our best lineup. Does anyone really think we're a playoff team? Anyone rooting for this team to win and make a playoff run should know that is not in the best interests of the team, it just hurts us to be out of the lottery. Less is more, right now we can't even beat Kentucky....and some people want playoffs? lets weaken a weak team even more.

Its good for the character of the team, character don't mean squat, its a players league, you don't have the horses, you ain't getting it done.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:51 am

I say let nature take its course. If they make the playoffs it gives individual players added experience and the team a chance to further evaluate the talent in a more competitive environment as well as potentially enhancing the trade value of the players.

Yes, there is also the possibility of adding team cohesion though I don't know how valuable this would be with a roster that is still very much in flux.

A top three pick in the lottery would be great but you really can't depend on Ping-Pong balls.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 am

Nobody is going for my bait? I mentioned at least 3 times Kentucky could beat us, I mentioned twice I could rebuild this team better than Danny, I should have got alot of you after me....no one contradicted me? guess we do suck. I'll say one thing, we play better and harder than what this team looks like om paper. Our strength is when AB and Smart crank up the perimeter D and Thomas gets it going. I like Crowder and Jerabko. but you can't rely on these guys to get even 15 a night, they are good back ups, anyone who thinks anyone on this roster can carry us on a playoff run has another thing coming. The only reason we are this close at all to the playoffs is great coaching, a roster playing way over their heads and a weak East. This roster is gonna be in a big flux the next few years, we have the makings of a backcourt, we"re on the lookout by trade, draft or FA signing a whole new frontline possibly as nothing is etched in stone.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:27 am

As much as I have grown to like this year's team (even with all of its changes) I am not sure that it is a playoff team.

I do very much like their efforts and Stevens as a growing NBA head coach, but there may just not be enough talent yet for getting to the playoffs never mind doing any damage once getting there.

Last night's game may have more clearly shown this than most any other game this season as it clearly was a playoff spot gaining game and the Cs had a twenty point lead and yet still could not end up winning it. Losing a similar type game to Golden State was one thing, but doing it again so soon to a team like Orlando was disappointing.

Yes, Datome played well in his real Celtics debut, but that alone cannot get a team to the playoffs.

Playoffs may have to wait until next year, but there is no question that this year has been much more fun to watch than last year primarily due to the coherence and culture improvements delivered by Stevens and his staff, Ainge's moves and a good group of players.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:05 pm

"I mentioned at least 3 times Kentucky could beat us, I mentioned twice I could rebuild this team better than Danny"

Okay. I'll take the bait. I think that a collection of D-Leaguers would beat the Wildcats. If you think you can do a better job than DA you should try to persuade ownership. Maybe they'll give you a chance if you offer up your services at a steep discount.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:"I mentioned at least 3 times Kentucky could beat us, I mentioned twice I could rebuild this team better than Danny"

Okay. I'll take the bait. I think that a collection of D-Leaguers would beat the Wildcats. If you think you can do a better job than DA you should try to persuade ownership. Maybe they'll give you a chance if you offer up your services at a steep discount.

Maybe Philly and the Knicks "some" of the time..........but even then that might be a stretch.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:43 pm

seriously how do you guys see us vs Kentucky going? I want to see what your analysis is first, then I'll school you on mine.....and I agree they beat Philly and Knicks too, plus the teams in the D-League.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:"I mentioned at least 3 times Kentucky could beat us, I mentioned twice I could rebuild this team better than Danny"

Okay.  I'll take the bait.  I think that a collection of D-Leaguers would beat the Wildcats.  If you think you can do a better job than DA you should try to persuade ownership.  Maybe they'll give you a chance if you offer up your services at a steep discount.

well I'm just a fan, but for starters you happy with the Kelly O pick? whats his upside? who was my choice? everyone knows it was Gobert....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:20 pm

I see us blowing there doors in SERIOUSLY

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:32 pm

cowens,

Why don't you start your own thread, put in a poll and see what kind of results you get from posters here?  Generally, when people here post the same thing multiple times in multiple threads (off topic, mind you) I tend to have my "Mental Ignore Shield" (tm) turned on at it's full power level.  In this thread, I am looking to see what others think about Jerebko, not even looking for a post from left field about some college team in Kentucky.  Maybe that is just me, others may be different.

So, give it a whirl, start a new thread, get the conversation going, make a poll, see what happens.  IMO you would get better results and more conversation that way than by just posting random off topic stuff in multiple threads.

Good luck,

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:07 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Nobody is going for my bait? I mentioned at least 3 times Kentucky could beat us, I mentioned twice I could rebuild this team better than Danny, I should have got alot of you after me....no one contradicted me? guess we do suck. I'll say one thing, we play better and harder than what this team looks like om paper. Our strength is when AB and Smart crank up the perimeter D and Thomas gets it going. I like Crowder and Jerabko. but you can't rely on these guys to get even 15 a night, they are good back ups, anyone who thinks anyone on this roster can carry us on a playoff run has another thing coming. The only reason we are this close at all to the playoffs is great coaching, a roster playing way over their heads and a weak East. This roster is gonna be in a big flux the next few years, we have the makings of a backcourt, we"re on the lookout by trade, draft or FA signing a whole new frontline possibly as nothing is etched in stone.

cow,

Maybe we're just smarter than your average fish.  We've seen this lure before.

How about this, then?

1.  College games are only 40 minutes, not 48.  Play the starters more and maybe they don't do so well when they're playing against bigger, stronger more experienced players.  I saw the same thing happen when really good college players talked smack to Scal and challenged Scal to some one-and-one.  He showed them that looking mediocre in the pros is still better than 90% of all college players.  

Cauley-Stein only plays 25mpg.  The other player you like to talk about is Towns.  He only plays 20mpg.  Do you really think if you had those players go 30-35mpg against a pro team they'd produce the same quality of play?  I don't.  In fact, NO KY player plays even as many as 26mpg.  You can't just say to a player "we're going to increase your minutes 50%, against bigger stronger faster opponents who have already survived the Darwinian process of making an NBA roster, and you still have to deliver the same /minute output".  And if you DON'T increase their minutes, then you've got KY's bench playing against NBA starters because the pros CAN AND DO play 35mpg and they'll be doing some of those minutes against the KY scrubs while the KY starters rest.  

2.  College players are playing against college players.  That not only means less experience by their opponents, letting a good college player look like a great college player, it also means they're not all NBA size.  For example, Aaron Harrison is the #1 scorer on KY.  He is averaging a whopping 11.2ppg.  Whoa!  11.2?!  Step back!  He also plays the most minutes, 25.8mpg.  What does that come out to, if he played an NBA starter's 36mpg?  Less than 16ppg, and he's only shooting 39% from the floor.  Furthermore, he's 6'6", 215#.  You and I both like big, strong physical players, right?  Name one NBA SF that couldn't pound a 6'6", 215# toothpick into kindling in the low blocks.  I'm sure he looks great against other college toothpicks, though.  Devin Booker is projected by draftexpress.com to go #15, late lottery.  He's averaging 22mpg, 11ppg.  He's also only 6'5", 186#.  186, cow, 186#.  As a 6'5" SG he's not going to be shooting over people in the NBA and he's going to make Kelly look like a brute on defense.  Remember Doron Lamb?  He went to Kentucky and won a national COLLEGE championship in his last year too.  Averaged 31.2mpg his last year there, far more than any other KY player this year.  He shot 47.4% that year.  Booker, at 47.7%, is comparable.  They are also comparable in that Lamb is 6'4", 200# and Booker is 6'5" and an anemic 186#.  Where's NCAA Champion SG Doron Lamb now?  Playing for the Westchester Knicks, that's where.

3.  You have to compare levels of competition.  Every player invited to summer league play was a "somebody" in college.  Every.  Single. One.  Every single player in the summer leagues were one of the best college players at their schools.  Every.  Single. One.  What does summer league play tell us about that players' ability to succeed in the pros?  Not a frippin' thing, because most of the players in summer league are bubble players who probably cannot and will not make an NBA roster, and those are the quality of players the better looking players are playing against.  Even the ones who do make the cut and stick with an NBA team look very, very different when the balloon finally goes up and the games start counting.  That's because the quality of play and players in a regular season NBA game is SO much higher than anything they've ever seen before, unless they have been playing pro ball in Europe or Israel for a few years.

4.  It's March Madness time, and KY has only played 31 games.  Players playing fewer minutes, the season is less than half as long, playing against inferior competition.

5.  Four KY players are projected to go in the first round with a freshman, Lyles, bringing up the rear at #25.  Four players isn't a squad, Cow.  You want to go up against a pro squad with only 4 players that are even close to comparable quality because everybody else on KY is a 2nd rounder at best?  Kentucky had a blue chip, franchise player and #1 pick Anthony Davis, another player who was considered a blue chip but isn't (Kidd-Gilchrist @ #2), a player that has done well that wasn't drafted that high (Terrence Jones @ #18) and a bunch of 2nd rounders (Lamb, Marquis Teague)  There's 3 first rounders, two of them #1 and #2 and 2nd rounders.  Four players, another team of college draftees that is one short of a squad.  Of those 5 players, only 3 of them are in the NBA and only 2 of them are considered successes.  The NBA player that is not considered a success was one of those really high draft choices you want us to tank to get.  The other Kentucky superstars are out of the league.

Calipari has the best tasting lemonade in college.  The NBA isn't lemonade. If it was every KY starter would be in the NBA somewhere, even on the bench. They're not.

Turns out I'm not smarter than your average fish after all.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Along with freedom of (civil) speech on this forum comes the expectation that members will post with the hope that others will be interested in what they have to say.  Based on private message feedback I have received, members aren't particularly interested in reading either interminable repetition or verbal game-playing primarily designed to be cantankerous.  I'm just reporting on what I'm told.

We joke around a lot on this forum.  And the change of pace provided by a little humor is usually welcome, especially when the basketball season involves as many struggles as this one.

However, there are forms of repetitious attempted humor that are funny primarily to the poster and, to the great majority (according to the messages I receive), represent even more of a tedious downer than Celtics losses.

I have been requested to amend the rules of the forum to discourage what is considered by some to be a rather selfish form of alleged humor.  The general feeling is that we all have demands on our time, and it's irritating to spend any of that time being exposed to repeated instances of posted material that's meant for solely the poster's own enjoyment.

I'm reluctant to take any such action because it's a judgment call as to when someone crosses the line of tedium and self-indulgence.  And I have great confidence in the ability and willingness of members of the forum to be sensitive to the interests of their fellow members in their posting activities.

I regret having to post this message, but it is only fair to give notification that this is not a joking matter and will not be treated as such.

Thank you,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Back to Jerebko...

This is one of those times when you may find a pearl among the oysters.

Personally, I never thought Jerebko or Datome would even suit up for the team.  Despite a flash or two, I still don't think Datome is an NBA level talent (my opinion, again), but Jerebko is an intriguing prospect.  He never showed anything prior to coming to Boston, and he's a little old (mind you I'm calling him old and soon you'll have to double his age to get mine) but the guy is all hustle and some shooting too.  He can even board a bit.

Jerebko doesn't fit perfectly into any one forward position, but he can handle a couple of spots fairly well.  He might just give us some needed depth and competitive flexibility at a reasonable price, so it's worth continuing to give him some minutes to see what we have.

Add him alongside Zeller and we may have a couple of decent contributors for the future that cost us nothing much to acquire with the added benefit of being fairly cheap to keep going forward.  Not bad news at all.

(As a side note: I'd go with gyso's earlier suggestion to take the offshoot conversation about top tier college vs NBA teams/players/where The Celtics stand, and start a new thread.  I think it could be a fun debate on it's own, and keep this one free for the original topic.  That gyso dude is always thinking up some cool stuff.  He's OK for a Red Sox fan...er, maybe I shouldn't go down that road around here.  May be more than one Sox fan hanging around a Celtics forum, I guess.)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Bob, excellent post.  I absolutely agree with you on the difference between the NBA and even the best college programs.

I'd just add that there have been other times in the past when we've heard that such-and-such college team could compete with the pros.

Remember UCLA's Walton gang who won 88(?) straight?  Aside from Walton and Keith (later Jamal) Wilkes I can't think of one member of that team who made any kind of splash in the pros.  Last time I looked you needed at least five guys with pro level talent to play basketball in the pros.

Or how about Bobby Knight's IU team that had a unbeaten season and won the NCAA's in 1974(?)  They sent 4 players to the NBA: Kent Benson, Scott May, Quinn Buckner and Bobby Wilkerson, all of whom went on to at best solid journeymen careers.

You think that the worse NBA team of that era would have beaten a team with their best players as  Scott May, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner and Bobby Wilkerson (not counting a guy named Larry Bird of course who dropped out before that season)?

Or how about Bird's undefeated Indiana State team who aside from Bird sent to the pros one player, Carl Nicks, who lasted a couple of years?

We can easily forget that the guys at the end of the NBA bench and nearly every D-Leaguer were among the best on their college teams.

Even a contest between the worst NBA teams and the best college team would literally be a contest between men and boys.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:36 pm

NYCelt,

Actually, I'm quite sure that there were a couple of Celtics-Pistons games i which Jerebko's contributions approached game-changing dimensions.  He seems to be the kind of player who needs the right teammates in order to achieve.  Off the Celtics bench, he seems to exude a pretty high level of confidence and comfort.

Who knows what this team might look like by the beginning of next season and whether or not Jerebko is likely to be part of that group.  But, as you said, he has some talent to offer—each as a Celtic reserve or possible sign-and-trade bait.

It's pure delight to witness the number of Celtics players who (other than during the last three-quarters of last night's game) seem to be enjoying themselves out there.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:
"I mentioned at least 3 times Kentucky could beat us, I mentioned twice I could rebuild this team better than Danny"

Okay.  I'll take the bait.  I think that a collection of D-Leaguers would beat the Wildcats.  If you think you can do a better job than DA you should try to persuade ownership.  Maybe they'll give you a chance if you offer up your services at a steep discount.

well I'm just a fan, but for starters you happy with the Kelly O pick? whats his upside? who was my choice? everyone knows it was Gobert.....
cowens/oldschool

"just a fan"?  Please Cow, you shortchange yourself.   With Danny's resources at your beck and call I'm sure that you would never miss the best player available.

Your choice of Gobert should be part of your pitch to the Celtic owners for DA's job.  Who knows they may just take you without any discount.

What did I think of the KO pick? At the time I had just got done watching KO in the NCAA's. I thought he was an excellent college player but I wasn't wild about him as a pro prospect mainly because he wasn't that athletic. I thought and still think his upside is a solid rotation guy.

I didn't know a thing about Gobert but I guess that's why you're a contender for DA's job and I'm just a fan.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Bob and Sloop and Cow too,

OK, somebody's got to start another thread on this.

I won't be the one, but just to add a spark...

I think you guys are selling the college game WAY short.  I firmly believe the best NCAA teams (AP Top 10, let's say) should, would and could smack most D-league teams around like they were high school teams.  NBA teams?  No.  Well, the Knicks maybe.

Getting back to Jerebko...

Do you think they'll ever start pronouncing his name correctly?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:30 pm

I bet we may have a money maker. The NCAA champ vs the winner of the D-League playoffs( is there such a thing?)

The D-League's talent level is essentially at college all star level. The NCAA champ will have several players who would crack an NBA roster, some of whom may become stars but probably not for a few years while most of the roster could not even crack a D-league roster.

I'd pay to watch and I bet there are many others who would as well.

If you want something done it never hurts to have a pecuniary angle. Money talks and it's persuasive.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:09 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:

Sloopjohnb wrote:

well I'm just a fan, but for starters you happy with the Kelly O pick? whats his upside? who was my choice? everyone knows it was Gobert.....
cowens/oldschool

"just a fan"?  Please Cow, you shortchange yourself.   With Danny's resources at your beck and call I'm sure that you would never miss the best player available.

Your choice of Gobert should be part of your pitch to the Celtic owners for DA's job.  Who knows they may just take you without any discount.

What did I think of the KO pick?  At the time I had just got done watching KO in the NCAA's.   I thought he was an excellent college player but I wasn't wild about him as a pro prospect mainly because he wasn't that athletic.  I thought and still think his upside is a solid rotation guy.

I didn't know a thing about Gobert but I guess that's why you're a contender for DA's job and I'm just a fan.

hahaha, funny stuff, if only I had the time to get that close and tell Danny how I really feel....maybe he'd even agree with me. Danny don't be gun shy now....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:58 pm

NYCelt,

How do you correctly pronounce Jerebko?  Yer-eb-ko?  Ya-reb-ko?

How 'bout them Sox?  (LOL)

Seriously, I remember back when Jonas Jerebko was drafted that our own Swede (in Estonia) was very high on him.  He had a lot of good things to say about him.  After that, whenever we played Detroit, I kept an eye on Jonas.  I always liked what I saw and after all this time I was surprised that he was kind of a forgotten player and/or after-thought in the recent trade.

I wasn't really surprised that he did well under Brad's system.  I just think he was buried in Detroit, especially earlier this year with the Josh Smith signing (how did that work out for them anyway?)

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 pm

One thing that helps newcomers to acclimate and contribute quickly is that the team doesn't have a core of players who are used to doing things in a certain way.  They're all kind of making it up as they go along.

By the way, along with the several younger players who have thrived with Brad's Celtics, has anyone improved more than Brandon Bass?  He has become a definite terror on the offensive boards; and get him the ball down low and it's almost a sure fire bucket.  I believe this team is very very fortunate to have him.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 am

I am happy to see people seem to like Jerebko Smile Would be nice to see him stick around and I am confident Ainge et al will not overpay for him.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down