mrkleen09
Outside
wide clyde
cowens/oldschool
9 posters

Go down

Kentucky vs this years Celtics Empty Kentucky vs this years Celtics

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:56 pm

Sam what does cantankerous mean? sorry if I offended anyone that I started a new topic that was supposed to be about Jerabko, personally I didn't think that it was a big deal. Since I had mentioned Kentucky could beat us before, no one said anything to disagree, if no one disagrees with someones comments/opinions I assume that person is right on. Bob Heckler had a great response, alot of good points, all I wanted was a conversation on strategy, I don't think I'm beligerent and trying to get personal with anyone and I've met at least more than half of you, I can't imagine why anyone would have to PM Sam about me.....whoever that is has his own problems, I don't feel I have to PM Sam about anyone as I can take care of myself and feel I am amongst friends.

Now Bob H you made great points on minutes and maturity, well alot of the players on the current C's aren't used to alot of minutes either cause they couldn't even crack their previous rotation, you even mentioned Zeller looking lifeless last game, I did go back and read it. Z, KO and Jerabko can't handle alot of minutes either as that was one of your points on their inconsistancy and that is the teams weakness too. I believe you used Zeller as an example, well theres more than him that cannot handle alot of minutes. Kentucky will have more than 4 kids drafted in this draft, I don't know how many are coming out, but I'd take Dakari Johnson over whatever we have at the 5 and hes not even their best 7 footer. We've got 2 soft 7 footers that are glutens for punishment in the paint and offer no to little rim protection, they might be in college, but their starting frontline goes 6'10", 7' and 7'1" . They lead the nation in defense and blocked shots, put Z and KO back playing the college game right now, they still won't have near the defensive impact as Towns and Cauley-Stein and they have another 7 footer who backs them up that is already better defensively than either of our 2 soft 7 footers. Thank god we have Bass cause I see Z and KO as the soft guys that would get worn out.

We would not get anything inside on Kentucky offensively, not that its our strong point, but Z does have some nice jumphooks sometimes when hes not too worn from getting shoved around on defense. Bob I have more, but I await your response.

Sam tell whoever is PMing you about me to contact me themselves please, you shouldn't have to deal with that.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Kentucky vs this years Celtics Empty Re: Kentucky vs this years Celtics

Post by wide clyde Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Cow,

I really do not why anyone even spends time thinking about a pro team playing a college team. There is no way to ever have a definitive answer.

With my time, I will just keep spending my time following the Celtics nice season.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Cow,

Sorry, but I think it would be a rout. The college kids wouldn't stand a chance.

BobH laid out the reasoning quite nicely. You can just add my +1 to his post.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:12 pm

There is no way a college team could compete with a team full of professionals. Every player on the Celtics was one of the 5 best players on their team in college, many were absolutely monsters at the collegiate level.

The Kentucky big men have more size than most of the Celtics big men - but that is it. Dakari Johnson Cauley-Stein and Towns would probably be able to block and alter some shots - but none of them are nearly strong enough to compete with grown men. Brandon Bass would take any of they to the hoop and dunk on them in a second. He is smashing most NBA power forwards, who are all bigger and stronger than college kids. Tyler Zeller was a 17 and 10 guy who shot 56% from the field at North Carolina - there is no one on the UK team with even close to those kind of stats. You totally under estimate how good he was in college. He was a second time consensus All american. The second best Center in the NCAA that season.

As for the rest of the team UK team vs the Celtics - forget it. James Young would be the leading scorer on this UK team if he stayed in school and he can barely break 5 points per game in the NBA.

You think UK has anyone who could check Issiah Thomas? No chance, Thomas would have 40 points and have all the big men on the team in foul trouble in the first half.

You think anyone on the UK team has faced a defender like Bradley or Crowder? Jae Crowder would physically dominate any Guard or Forward on that UK team - wouldn't even be a fair fight.

Who is going to cover Sully or KO or Jonas? You think Towns or Johnson can defend the 3 point line?

I am a big UK fan, but no way, no how they could compete over a 48 minute game with any NBA team.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Not even worthy of me writing this...but I did
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Well Thomas would have to score and from the outside, cause despite Bass we aren't getting anything inside on them. I'm not comparing Kentucky to all the teams, just ours.

So Kleen if your a GM would you take Zeller over Cauley-Stein or Towns for your starting center?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:26 pm

Sully can't even suit up, love the kid, root hard for him, but where is he right now? guess he played too many minutes and agree with you that Bradley and Smart would give the college kids alot of problems defensively.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:12 pm

I don't watch a lot of college ball (how about none?) but from reading this board, the pro defensive schemes would put a serious hurt on the scoring by the college players. There probably would be a lot of 24 second violations.

On the other end, the pros would just overpower the amateurs. If they ran a zone, the IT would blow it away over time. If they tried man-to-man, many of the young guys would end up with broken ankles.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Well Thomas would have to score and from the outside, cause despite Bass we aren't getting anything inside on them. I'm not comparing Kentucky to all the teams, just ours.

So Kleen if your a GM would you take Zeller over Cauley-Stein or Towns for your starting center?

Sounds like now you want to change the conversation to compare long term potential....which isnt what we are talking about.

Stan Van Gundy fielded this question last year at the Final Four and had the perfect answer

“Look, it’s absurd. I mean, people will say, ‘Oh, Kentucky, you know’s, got four NBA players.’ Yeah, well the other team’s got 13. “Could anything happen on a one-night thing? I mean, I suppose, you have major upsets all the time. So, maybe, but it’d be rare and in a series it’d be a joke. It wouldn’t be close. That’s just the way it is. John Calipari’s got a lot of talent; he does not have 13 NBA players. He just doesn’t. And even if those guys all are, they’re all NBA rookies. I mean, when has that ever been a success in the NBA? So, no, they’re not going to win."
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 pm

gyso everytime I've seen Kentucky play they have played an aggressive man to man defense. Pro defensive schemes can work, but you need the pieces/players, I don't see any overpowering players on our frontline other than Bass, we don't overpower anyone, its been said by alot of posters our best lineup is small, wonder why? You should watch a Kentucky game sometime, they are on a historic run, head and shoulders above the rest of the college game, great size and depth.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:58 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Well Thomas would have to score and from the outside, cause despite Bass we aren't getting anything inside on them. I'm not comparing Kentucky to all the teams, just ours.

Sounds like now you want to change the conversation to compare long term potential....which isnt what we are talking about.

Stan Van Gundy fielded this question last year at the Final Four and had the perfect answer

“Look, it’s absurd. I mean, people will say, ‘Oh, Kentucky, you know’s, got four NBA players.’ Yeah, well the other team’s got 13. “Could anything happen on a one-night thing? I mean, I suppose, you have major upsets all the time. So, maybe, but it’d be rare and in a series it’d be a joke. It wouldn’t be close. That’s just the way it is. John Calipari’s got a lot of talent; he does not have 13 NBA players. He just doesn’t. And even if those guys all are, they’re all NBA rookies. I mean, when has that ever been a success in the NBA? So, no, they’re not going to win."

I agree with him on last years Kentucky team, but this years team has a legit Twin Towers, and depth, if they didn't have the freshman rule and players could declare right out of high school, whos to say Towns couldn't dominate Zeller right now. Theres a reason Zeller went in his draft where he went and Towns will be a top 3 pick. Zeller had nice college stats, in his 3rd year, he doesn't even have the stamina to play 30 plus minutes in the pros. The consensus from this board is we need more help at his position and he could be a good backup going forward. Towns can easily hold his own with Zeller right now and in a year or 2 it won't even be close.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Yes, Townes has far more upside than Zeller but I thought that the question is can this year's Wildcats beat this year's Celtics.

For that question, I agree with Stan Van Gundy, especially with his use of the word "absurd.".

Last edited by Sloopjohnb on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:06 pm

I'll pick this years Celtics, and I'll give you 1,000 to 1 odds and the bet is for 100 dollars.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 pm

bobc33 wrote:I'll pick this years Celtics, and I'll give you 1,000 to 1 odds and the bet is for 100 dollars.

What do you plan to spend your $100 on?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:24 pm

gyso wrote:
bobc33 wrote:I'll pick this years Celtics, and I'll give you 1,000 to 1 odds and the bet is for 100 dollars.

Why cheesecake for the Board of course.....

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:27 pm

I'll even spot Kentucky a 30 point lead and have the Celtics play with no three point field goals allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:35 pm

bobc33 wrote:

I'll even spot Kentucky a 30 point lead and have the Celtics play with no three point field goals allowed.

That's a wicked handicap for this Celtic team. Do we still get two points outside the circle?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:44 pm

gyso wrote:
bobc33 wrote:

That's a wicked handicap for this Celtic team.  Do we still get two points outside the circle?

Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:Yes, Townes has far more upside than Zeller but I thought that the question is can this year's Wildcats beat this year's Celtics.

For that question, I agree with Stan Van Gundy, especially with his use of the word "absurd.".

I thought I made myself clear, Towns is better now and will be even better in a year or 2. I like Zeller and root for him, anyone who thinks hes better is blind as a bat. As the season goes longer his game has been fading more and more. Towns can change the complexion of a defense right now.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Cowens,

It's not one person...or two...or three.  If you wish to continue our dialog, please contact me by Private Message or email. Actually, I absolutely should be in the middle of anything related to dissatisfaction with anything concerning the board.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:23 pm

so they have to go thru you? pathetic

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:25 am

bobc33 wrote:
gyso wrote:

Why cheesecake for the Board of course.....

if I can get chessecake, that might sway the game....Celtics could win

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:09 am

Cow,

No, it's not pathetic.  It's the appropriate procedure, and one that I have requested and endorsed many times.  You have absolutely no comprehension of the number of potentially major issues that have been resolved via off-board communications.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down