Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot'

5 posters

Go down

Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot' Empty Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot'

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot'

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on March 15, 2015 at 3:00 AM

Two weeks ago, Avery Bradley sat on the baseline of the Quicken Loans Arena court, getting ready for his team's shootaround in Cleveland. As the shooting guard laced up his sneakers, he shared his dream of returning to the postseason and described what such a run could mean for the Boston Celtics.

"I feel like that can help us out a lot, that experience," he told MassLive.com.

As recently as a month ago, you could have found a load of Boston fans rooting against him, hoping the Celtics would land a solid lottery pick. Now, with every gritty performance, more and more people hope Bradley gets his wish.

Since Feb. 2, the Celtics are 13-6 with a new habit of pulling out close games. Unleashing Jae Crowder as a small-ball power forward changed them, adding Isaiah Thomas lifted them to another level, and persevering without Thomas has made playoff hopes feel realistic.

"Not to try to compare us to Atlanta or anything, but I'm pretty sure them getting a chance to play in the playoffs last year helped them be able to see where they're at," Bradley said. "They basically have the same team they had in the playoffs last year, and it's like they didn't skip a beat once the season started."

The Celtics aren't the Hawks. Certainly not this season, at least. But they have traded Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green, lost Jared Sullinger for the season, handled several other injuries to regulars, dealt with a roster that only recently stopped changing, and, through it all, remained committed to growing as a team.

"There was never a point of this year that (fans) felt like we weren't going hard," Bradley said. "We're a young team. Well, we were a young team, now we're growing and maturing as the year goes on. We're still young but we're learning how to play with each other, and that makes things a lot easier.

"The second half of the season is almost like a new start. You can create a new identity for your team, and I feel like that's what we're doing. We take pride in being the tougher team, as far as being able to come back, and even after a hard loss, being able to respond. That's what we pride ourselves on."

The Celtics aren't playing perfect basketball, but they are improving, giving themselves chances to win, and capitalizing on those chances. If they do reach the playoffs, nobody will fear them. But nobody should look forward to playing them, either. Opposing clubs are starting to give Brad Stevens' team more credit every night.

"They just took us out of some stuff," David West told reporters Saturday after the Celtics snapped Indiana's seven-game winning streak. "They're a difficult team to (defend). They spread guys all over the floor. It was a tough game for us, we just couldn't get a good rhythm or flow. Boston is a young team. The trades that they made have strengthened them."

"They play hard," added George Hill. "Coach Stevens got them in a great defensive plan. They made it tough for us on the offensive end. We did a good job of fighting back, but it wasn't enough."

The Celtics hope their own attempts to fight back will be. By dropping a bundle of close games earlier this season, they put themselves in a hole in the playoff race. Yet due to a rush of wins -- four straight, six out of seven and 13 out of 19 -- the conversation about this team has shifted drastically.

Before, the Celtics were like Junior Bevil, the Cool Runnings character whose father (fans) wanted him to skip the Olympics (the playoffs) to start a career at Webster, Webster and Cohen (to land a better chance at a top lottery pick). Now, the Celtics are still like Junior, but their father sees the value in what they're building and develops a deep pride in their success. After buying a t-shirt to honor the surprising Jamaican bobsled team, he's even starting to ponder wildly optimistic thoughts like, "Maybe the Celtics can give the Hawks a run for their money" and, "Hmm, I wonder if a strong finish this season will convince top-shelf free agents to hop on the Brad Stevens train."

Even Mike Gorman's proclaiming his faith in this lovable group:

Mike Gorman @celticsvoice
Follow
Time to start believing.....there is something special happening here !
6:44 PM - 14 Mar 2015
237 RETWEETS  282 FAVORITES

Said Bradley: "(The postseason is) a big motivating factor for me. Playoffs, that's the season for me. And not only that, I feel like that should be anybody's goal, just playing this level of basketball. And after the playoffs comes the championship. Like I've told everybody that hasn't played in the playoffs, that's when the real season starts. Everybody should want to get there to get a chance to experience that, and not only that, but get a chance to work toward the goal of winning a championship."

Championship? Maybe one day, years in the future. For now, the Celtics are realistically targeting something else.

"We've been talking about (the playoffs), that's a goal for us," Crowder told reporters Saturday in Indiana. "Because everyone has shut the door on us for the most part. If we win, we control our own destiny.That's how we look at it. We don't want it to fall into another team's hands. If we just win games, we'll be fine."

Peace be the journey.

bob
MY NOTE: "If we just win games, we'll be fine." Sums up my sentiments exactly...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot' Empty Re: Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot'

Post by Improbulus Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:23 pm

A likeable group. They represent the Celtics well, and will be fun to watch in the coming years.

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot' Empty Re: Avery Bradley: Playoff experience would help Boston Celtics 'a lot'

Post by bobc33 Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:40 pm

"The Celtics aren't playing perfect basketball, but they are improving, giving themselves chances to win, and capitalizing on those chances. If they do reach the playoffs, nobody will fear them."

I guess it depends on your definition of the word fear, but I'll guess a lot of teams won't look forward to playing the Celtics.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Improbulus wrote:A likeable group.  They represent the Celtics well, and will be fun to watch in the coming years.

Hi Imp, Haven't seen you in a while even though you registered a long time ago. Have you been watching a lot of games this year?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Bob,
No, sorry to say I've been caught up in grad school and have hardly any time for the last three years or so. Plus, I live in Hawaii and Celtic games aren't shown out here very often. But I follow this group almost daily, just to keep updated. Good site!

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Improbulus wrote:Hi Bob,
No, sorry to say I've been caught up in grad school and have hardly any time for the last three years or so.  Plus, I live in Hawaii and Celtic games aren't shown out here very often.  But I follow this group almost daily, just to keep updated.  Good site!

Imp,

I know what you mean. I just spent the last 3 1/2 months in southeast Asia and wasn't able to watch any of them. I followed along on the Game On thread here and with ESPN's scoreboard site because my Samsung tablet didn't have the technical ability to do the flash online thingie.

Now that I'm back I watch the games on that and am usually on the Game On thread. I'm one of those strange people you may have heard about that doesn't own a television.

www.sportstream.tv

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Ha! I should follow your example - the TV is such a distraction at times. Love your post-game analyses, by the way.

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Improbulus wrote:Ha!  I should follow your example - the TV is such a distraction at times.  Love your post-game analyses, by the way.

Imp,

Thanks. Try that link, join us on the Game On thread. I'd like to hear your take on the games. Sometimes my head sounds like an echo chamber. Empty, but vast...People see things I don't see or mention things I forgot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Hey, Improbulus, it's great to see you posting.  What's your major?  I envy you at grad school.  My life is full, but one of the things I most miss is school.

We'll be happy to see you whenever you can squeeze the time.  And all the best in your program.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 pm

Of course playoff experience would help the Celtics.  Getting a feel of how rewarding success can be could never hurt.  Ending the season as a playoff team lends a certain degree of momentum heading toward the offseason and next season, even if they're one and done.  The thought that anything else could replace playoff experience is just a laugh!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi Sam - I'm in the History doctoral program at the University of Hawaii. Teaching and taking seminars and working all at the same time, so hardly any time for leisure activities. But I can always spare a few minutes to catch up on the Celtics.

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Improbulus,

You're obviously tightly in the bosom of academia.  I expect almost every involvement and interaction you have is academically related.  That form of total immersion, with an extremely positive target in sight, is often a once-in-a-lifetime (or even never-in-a-lifetime) experience.

I truly envy you that focus, with constant reinforcement of your aspirations coming from every direction.  It will never be far below your consciousness as long as you live.  And I bet there will be many occasions on which you will miss it, despite the energy drain that can be involved.  You probably don't need me to advise you to soak up every minute of the triumphs, and even the pitfalls, that collectively will always represent one of your crowning achievements.

Care to share the title of your Dissertation?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Sam, I haven't taken my comprehensive exams yet, but as far as the title of the dissertation, it's tentatively: Citizen Soldiers: Capitalism, Criminality, and the American Militia Tradition. Still working on it, though. The title may change as the work progresses and focus changes.

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 pm

"Disspelling another myth of racism - when Jewish players were the best in basketball."

That's one history dissertation I'd like to read..
because, you know,they once were. I read too often that Afro-Americans are great at basketball because of genetics and way too little respect is given for the many, many, many hours they spend practicing - because in too many cases it's their only opportunity to pursue and express excellence.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Improbulus - if you are investigating criminality, check out Kevin Drum's writings in Mother Jones anout the role lead poisoning plays. He refers to the research done by an Amherst prof. Very convincing.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks for the lead, Worcester. I'll definitely check it out.

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:23 am

It's paradigm changing work when it comes to what underlies criminal behavior AND teenage pregnancies.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:09 am

Improbulus,

Wow!  To the uninitiated, it sounds as though you're writing a history of the world.  Very comprehensive, and absolutely fascinating, I'm sure.  If it helps any, when I was age 12, I witnessed the Battle of Lexington and Concord, and I'm available for interviews.  Will fly.  But a plane trip is preferred.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:13 am

Sam, I'm sure that it would be very a great sacrifice to give up all the snow - what did you get, something like 6 feet in the last month? But it's been freezing over here too - in the 50s!! (I'm only partially kidding - we really do think that's freezing)

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:50 am

Improbulus,

We've had 86 inches on Cape Cod.  I know what you mean about it seeming colder after your blood thins in a warmer climate.  The coldest I ever remember being was in the middle of a March night in Georgia when I was in the Army.  It was a damp cold that went right through your bones.  And the red Georgia clay froze like tiny waves n the ocean that we had to negotiate on our hands and knees about two feet under live machine gun fire on the infiltration course.

Are you converted?  Will you remain in Hawaii after your collegiate experience?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Improbulus Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 am

I was born here, so I suppose you could call me converted. The 9 years I lived in Boston were fantastic ones - right during the Bird years. Talk about basketball heaven! My Sunday routine would be to wake up early, go find all the sports papers, magazines, the Globe, the Herald. Walk to a good restaurant and sit and have breakfast while reading everything I could find on the Celtics. Those were the times!

Improbulus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:54 am

Improbobulus,

So I gather you're not the typical 25-year-old doctoral student.  All the more power to you.  Your Boston time does sound idyllic.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down