DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency

+3
Outside
wide clyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency Empty DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:59 am

Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan says he’s going to look around in free agency
Kurt Helin Mar 18, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Doc Rivers’ Clippers have been good to DeAndre Jordan. Rivers has pumped up Jordan and tried to fill him with confidence since the say he walked in the door, trying to build back up what Vinny Del Negro had spent years tearing down. It’s to the point where Rivers vehemently overstates Jordan’s case for Defensive Player of the Year.

But that is not necessarily buying the Clippers a lot of loyalty when Jordan becomes a free agent this summer. Jordan wants to enjoy the experience and look around a little.

That’s what he told Sam Amick of the USA Today in a podcast.

“I mean I’ve obviously been here seven years, and the past two have been great,” he said. “Doc (Clippers coach Doc Rivers) has been my biggest supporter and the best coach I’ve ever had. The team is great. The guys are great. We have great camaraderie. But the free agency process is definitely going to be a fun one.”

Jordan may flirt with other teams, there will be demand for his services, but expect him to remain a Clipper — and for Los Angeles to overpay a little to keep him.

The reality is the Clippers need his rebounding (14.8 a game this season), his play in the paint (shooting 71.8 percent), and his rim protecting shot blocking. More than that they can’t replace him if he bolts.

Jordan is making $11.4 million this year, and the Clippers will give him a raise off that number. Why? Because if he leaves the Clippers are still right up against the cap (due to the large salaries for Chris Paul and Blake Griffin), so the best the Clippers could do to replace him would be the mid-level exception. I’m not Jordan’s biggest fan, but the Clippers simply could not get someone close to what Jordan brings for the roughly $5.5 million of the mid-level (remember the Clips spent their mid-level last season on Spencer Hawes, he’s the caliber of player you get). The Clippers need to pay whatever it takes to keep Jordan.

Jordan also is close with Griffin. In the end, he’s almost certainly choose the big money and to keep playing for Doc Rivers.

But he’s going to look around a little.

bob
MY NOTE:  Cue kdp's and cowens's cardiologists.  Make sure they are ready with the defibrillator...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency Empty Re: DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency

Post by wide clyde Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:10 am

Of course, Jordan is going to at least say that he is going to check out other teams when free agency starts even if he loves playing in LA for Rivers.  What else could anyone expect him to say?

This is his last chance at a big contract because he will be in his early thirties when it expires.  Not likely that he will be as good then as he is now so not likely that he gets paid as much either.

Most of us (especially me) don't know much about this guy's thought processes as to whether he would think that a deal with the Clippers for slightly less money is better than a contract with someone else for additional money.  Most players seem to go where the biggest dollars are, but maybe living in LA for 16 M per year for five years is better than making 17.5 M in some other place for four years for Jordan.  I do know that as a school teacher I have been able to live my entire life on just the difference between 17.5 and 16 M.

He would look good in a Celtics uniform next year, however.

Last edited by wide clyde on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency Empty Re: DeAndre Jordan Says He's Going To Look Around In Free Agency

Post by Sam Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:23 pm

One thing I'm sure of.  Given the fact that they can give him the max at their disposal (which I understand will be less than the Clips can offer) there's absolutely no more convincing attraction available to the Celtics than their recent showing as a team on the move.  In other words, pending how the rest of the season plays out, they're likely to be putting their best foot forward (up-tempo) in any negotiations with DeAndre.

Hey, gyso, would it be possible to offer him only incentives—maybe $100,000 per made free throw?  lol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:05 pm

I hate to be the killjoy at the DeAndre lovefest, but are we certain that Stevens would want Jordan? As has been pointed out multiple times recently, Stevens wants well-rounded "basketball players," not rigidly-defined position players. I also wonder how well Jordan would do in a read-and-react offense.

And while I'm taking all the fun out of everything, this particular line in the article caught my eye:

It’s to the point where Rivers vehemently overstates Jordan’s case for Defensive Player of the Year.

I agree with that assessment. Jordan is obviously a tremendous rebounder and shot blocker, but most of those blocks come as a help defender (which is probably true for most shot blockers). His individual defense on opposing centers isn't as stellar as you'd think (or Doc Rivers would have you believe). Use the head-to-head finder on basketball-reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi) to compare Jordan with other centers, and almost every center you can think of does quite well against him.

I understand not every center out there can be Anthony Davis, but Jordan is at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to versatility. He does a few things very well, but only a few things. I'm not sure how well that fits into what Stevens wants to do.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Good point Outside.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Outside has it right. but Jordan is still the best overall Center as a UFA next season.

two time NBA rebounding champ!

one of the best rim protectors...check!

falls asleep at times....yeah

can't hit FT's....check

shooting range is two feet...yep.

stick him in the middle of this team now and we're battling for the East title.

he'll be at LA one way or another next year (Clippers or Lakers).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Jordan will use other teams if they are that stupid to entertain an offer for him as stalking horses only and will resign with the Clippers. Hey the owner overspent buying the team by $1 billion dollars, so what is the big deal if they go over. Things will be fixed later on once they are able to get rid of Paul and his contract.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Outside, you're definitely not a killjoy.  Your points are valid, and you've probably seen a lot more of DeAndre than I have.  I just hope that the pot is still simmering here by the time that Danny does add the "right" center.  Moreover, I believe the big unknown in any transaction is how the incoming player will respond to Brad's coaching and to filling the needs of the team.  So far, I think Brad's record with "new" guys is pretty impressive.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down