swish
hawksnestbeach
NYCelt
beat
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market Empty Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market
Toucher and Rich
March 18, 2015 10:13 AM

Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market 464915880
Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller of the Boston Celtics look on during an eventual loss to the Golden State Warriors on March 1, 2015. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

BOSTON (CBS) — The Boston Celtics are on quite the roll right now, one that has them firmly implanted in a battle for a playoff spot.
The Celtics have won five straight and 10 of their last 13, and are tied with the Indiana Pacers and Miami Heat for the final two playoff spots in the Eastern Conference (currently out of the postseason due to a tiebreaker) — two teams they’ve beaten over their recent string of success. Boston held off the Pacers Saturday night in Indiana, beating one of the hottest team in the NBA and prompting play-by-play man Mike Gorman to send out this Tweet:

Mike Gorman @celticsvoice
Follow
Time to start believing.....there is something special happening here !
6:44 PM - 14 Mar 2015
254 RETWEETS  309 FAVORITES

Gorman joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Wednesday morning, and said all of this starts with head coach Brad Stevens.
“I put it out after the Indiana game because that was a special win. [The Pacers were] the best team in basketball since the start of February and everything was going their way, and the Celtics played them to a standstill and beat them down the stretch. That’s what Boston is suddenly doing now,” said Gorman. “I think what has happened to this team, with [Rajon] Rondo and [Jeff] Green gone, everyone is listening and paying attention to the coach.

“It’s remarkable. You ask them about the Celtics’ success of late, and the first thing out of their mouth is it’s all about the coach,” said Gorman. “I think we’re finally seeing what the ownership, Danny Ainge and what people in college basketball saw in Brad Stevens — that this is one of the best coaches, if not one of the top five coaches out there. Given a musical chairs lineup that he’s had all season long, he’s done a remarkable job. With 15 games to go, this team is in the hunt for a playoff spot. This is a team everyone thought was playing for a top three lottery position.”

Stevens and the Celtics have done all of this without a true star on the roster. With plenty of cap space this upcoming summer many believe the Celtics will try to make a big splash on the free agent market. The Celtics lack a big man to protect the rim, and with names like Marc Gasol, Greg Monroe and LaMarcus Aldridge hitting the market, the C’s could easily fill that void by luring one of them to Boston.

While Gorman would love to see someone like Gasol in Celtics green (which would likely require a max contract), he cautions Celtics fans not to become too enamored with big names looking for big deals this summer.

“I don’t think they want to dive too far into the free agent market. I think Brad has shown here that he works best with young players. Young players listen to him and he’s able to coach them,” he said. “Gerald Wallace is a great example of an older guy who has bought in, he knows his role and lives his role as the mentor. But it’s mostly young players and I think the Celtics are going to stay with young players.

“I know the NBA has a reputation of eating their young, but I think Boston can pull it off. He’s that good of a coach,” said Gorman. “I can’t tell you how impressed I am with how hard they play all the time. People say you can’t get NBA players to play hard for 48 minutes a game, but he has done that, and they’ve done that the last three, four weeks.”

bob
MY NOTE:  We've got Danny saying he's going to swing for the fences and Mike Gorman saying 'not really'.  Something's gotta give.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market Empty Re: Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market

Post by Sloopjohnb Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:26 pm

I've always taken everything Danny says with as much grains of salt as the Dead Sea has.  But of course I wouldn't be shocked if Danny swung for the fences this summer.  And I don't think Danny cares about or even pays attention to anything Gorman says.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market Empty Re: Gorman: Celtics Won’t Dive Too Far Into Free Agent Market

Post by beat Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Swinging for the fences. ??? Guess it depends on if your a dead pull hitter or not.

Depends but he'd be stupid not to see what is out there as a FA and at what price?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:47 pm

GMs don't always tell it like it is, and I'm starting to think Danny just likes getting a rise out of everyone with his dry sense of humor.

Gorman, on the other hand, generally only talks about things he knows to be accurate and is usually on target when he says something.  Gorman's assumption is probably based on information from pretty good sources and close observation.  My guess is he's probably going to be proven right here.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:16 pm

It can only help us if Danny doesn't look too eager to sign a big F.A. And if the C's show some promise in the playoffs, we'll be a more attractive place for a name player to land. What an amazing job he and Brad are doing (and I'd say that with 10 fewer wins). This is the audition year and players are given a good chance to show their stuff, so we don't let a good one slip away. Hustle is rewarded. The rest of the League is in trouble next year. Go Celtics! Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

I'll wager a quarter that he will pass on free agency this year. Take a little more time to get a little better handle on the Quality of the players that are already on board. Perhaps try to pick up some young players on the cheap that he can sign to one year deals hoping to pull out a gold nugget out of a coal bin. The trip to Vegas comes in 2016. After reviewing my predictions I'm reducing my wager to 5 cents.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 pm

I've never been a strong supporter of free agency.  I regard it as just slightly less of a crap shoot than the draft.  For what it costs (in the way of cap space), it's questionable how many really great options are out there.  Too many players, if they've reached the point where they're desirable have also reached the point where they're also health and attrition risks.  There are certainly exceptions.  I thought Love was an exception.  I believe Jordan would be an exception.  The one positive thing about free agents is presumably they ostensibly want to be with the team that signs them, whereas traded players don't usually have a lot of choice.  However, I'm  uncharacteristically cynical about what portion of their desire to be with a team is function of the appeal of the team versus the appeal of the money and other extraneous factors such as climate.

It's certainly a different free agent world than when Red could readily purloin late-career free agents who buttressed a few (ho hum) championship rosters of a team I'm forbidden to mention under penalty of being slandered.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I look at all great players that came to Celtics and found success....some were super stars a la KG and Bird, while other became great to near superstar players such as the Chief and McHale.  

The common threads among these and other players that proved successful for the Celtics were they came through either trades or the draft.

I do not think the Celtics will deviate from their past success in building the next great team.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Free agency, trades and draft picks will and always have been used.

The players that come from those activities will most likely be selected based on how they may fit into the Stevens coached Celtics.  

The fomulas has changed however.

For example we have all been clamoring for the Celts to get a rim protector.  That skill by itself may disqualify some otherwise good candidates.

let me explain what I mean.

The Celtics have a damn good center in Tyler Zeller.  He is not a great defender but he is not horrible either.  The one thing that he does really well is run the floor.  What we are seeing now from this team is the beginning stages of what could become a team that brings a blistering fast break to the court every night.

The Celtic need bigs that can run.  As a matter of fact every player that they keep must get up and down.  That is the style of the Celtics now.  

Danny will look for another big but I do not think he is looking exclusively for a large body that can intimidate the opposition in the paint.  He is going to want a center that runs the floor at both ends.

Anyways the # 1 free agent that the Celtics should go after is our own Brandon Bass.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:37 pm

I dont think Danny has said he is going to swing for the fences - I think he will take what is available vs what he thinks the team needs to take the next step.

I think they are still a few years away, so there is no need to pay big money for a max free agent right now. Draft well, pick up a FA big man or front line SG if one presents itself and that player in 27 or younger - and continue to build.

Next summer would be the time to make a bigger splash IMO.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:23 pm

I am sure that Ainge is thinking that the re-build that is now almost two full seasons completed will take a little bit longer than just year number 3.

But, I do not think that he will ignore any avenues this summer to make next year's team better. He may find a younger type free agent who will be a help and is willing to sign. He may find some free agents who are not stars yet possibly looking to Stevens and what the Cs have accomplished to date who want to join the march for banner 18. He will have plenty of trade possibilities with all the draft picks and trade exemptions, and he will have two spots in the first round of the draft as well.

If he can add three fairly young players this year who will help not only next year (competitive in the playoffs) but also will be around for year four of the post Garnett/Pierce re-build he will only likely be two more players short of competing throughout the playoffs in 2016-17.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:02 am

two reason why "waiting till next year" to get that FA big man, may not be the best option.

1) the cap will rise dramatically in 2016 , due to new TV money. So many more teams can be in play for any Free agents then this off-season.

2) the actual players who will be free agents

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11377133/nba-free-agents-2015-2016

take a peek.

UFA centers in 2015:
T. Chandler
G. Monroe
D. Jordan
M. Gasol
K. Koufas
O. Asik
A. Ajinca
K. Perkins
R. Lopez
T. Duncan

a few others of lesser skills

2016 list of UFA centers:

A. Horford
J. Noah
I. Mahinmi
H. Whiteside
C. Andersen
Z. Pachuila
C. Kaman
Nene

so we can see that IF you are going to get a quality NBA center as a UFA , then THIS off-season is the year to shop.

now, I do understand that some may feel the better option is to trade for that guy.

I have pointed out two players who may/ or may not be available this off-season who could fit that bill. D. Cousins (if the marriage will coach Karl doesn't work)and N. Noel (if they end up drafting Towns or Okafor in this years draft to pair with Embiid).Perhaps there COULD be others, but teams trading players like KG are few and far between.

right now the only Centers who fall in the 10-16 range on my draft rankings board are: Myles Turner( #11) and Frank Kaminsky (#14). While Turner may become an NBA starter at some point in his career, it will take a few years. Kaminsky is more likely to be a career backup ( I think of him as a combo of Zeller and Kelly O.).

So when I look at the possibilities out there to UPGRADE our center position, I feel a FA signing (this off-season) is our best chance.

I must add here that cost of course is everything and the more I look at Noel the more I think he might be a very good fit here.
Runs the floor
very active on defense
shot blocker
OK FT shooter for a big
stays within his offensive game (like Zeller).

in fact he reminds me of a more athletic Zeller in some ways.

If Philly would take Sully and our top draft pick, I think I would do it, resign Bass and Crowder and wait for the draft to fill out the end of the roster next season.

if you like Luigi back fine, we ahve the space to sign him and release Wallace outright then.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down