Report: Spurs to pursue Aldridge after giving Leonard max contract

Go down

Report: Spurs to pursue Aldridge after giving Leonard max contract Empty Report: Spurs to pursue Aldridge after giving Leonard max contract

Post by Sam Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:36 am

I don't post a lot of NBA media reports, as I prefer to write my own version of fact and fiction.  But given the certain upcoming focus on the Celtics' next rebuilding chapter, and given the presence on a number of capologists on this forum, I though some early perspective might be offered on how transitioning into the future is being approached by the NBA franchise that has arguably been the most successful over a recent several year span—the Spurs.

I don't know anything about the writer (James Herbert), other than the fact that his parents obviously weren't satisfied with one first name.  I googled, "James Herbert," and the first listing was "a best-selling horror writer."  I immediately assumed that Google already had the inside track on what the Spurs are up to.  But then I googled, "James Herbert NBA" and was told that he's a Toronto resident who writes features for SBNation.  I guess the extent to which the Spurs grab the league by the short hairs will determine whether the "horror writer" was a more accurate description.  Obviously, none of this is a done deal until at least July 1. 

I also looked up salary information for both the Spurs and the Celtics.  According to Basketball Reference, the Spurs currently have $33,659,326 committed for next season, representing only five players (Parker, Splitter, Diaw, Patrick Mills and Kyle Anderson).  The Celtics currently have $42,301,398 committed for next season, representing 11 players (Wallace, Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Turner, Olynyk, Zeller, Young, Sullinger, Pressey and Rabb).

I guess it could be argued that the Spurs are starting with a core of quality, which they'll presumably be hoping to increase with signing of Duncan and/or Ginobli (if they don't retire) and Aldridge, and then they'll be looking for bench players on the cheap.  Danny's already got the bench players (if he chooses to keep them) and will be looking to do some serious quality upgrading of what will hopefully be a forerunner of a future core.  So S.A. will essentially enter the wheel-and-deal period as the dog wagging the tail, while Boston will represent the tail wagging the dog.

Sam

Report: Spurs to pursue Aldridge after giving Leonard max contract

By James Herbert | NBA writer

April 25, 2015 1:33 pm ET

Report: Spurs to pursue Aldridge after giving Leonard max contract 042515_kawhiiiKawhi Leonard could be San Antonio's best recruiter. (USATSI)

The San Antonio Spurs have their new franchise cornerstone in Kawhi Leonard, the two-way superstar who scored 32 points while smothering the Los Angeles Clippers in Game 3 on Friday. He'll be a restricted free agent in July, and the Spurs are hoping to lock him up with a max deal, then chase another free agent -- Portland Trail Blazers big man LaMarcus Aldridge, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski:
In a perfect scenario, the Spurs have a full understanding of the futures of [Tim] Duncan, [Manu] Ginobili and Danny Green when they walk into a 12:01 a.m. ET meeting on July 1 with Leonard and his agent, Brian Elfus, in Los Angeles. The Spurs will offer Leonard a full maximum contract extension, get a commitment and turn themselves toward prying Aldridge back to his Texas roots.

For now, there's no scenario where Leonard plans to pursue offer sheets on the market, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Leonard wants to be a Spur, and the Spurs are expected to come calling on July 1 with the max offer that they resisted delivering Leonard in the preseason, a move born out of preserving cap space to bring on a star free agent this summer.
The Spurs can't be sure how they'll proceed on July 1 until they know Duncan's and Ginobili's plans. Whatever they decide, the possibility of pursuing Aldridge on the recruiting trail could offer the Spurs the chance to do the only thing that they've never done in the NBA: Lure an All-Star free agent in his prime, beat New York and Los Angeles somewhere besides the basketball court.
Adding Aldridge, who turns 30 in July, would obviously extend the Spurs' championship window. It would also mean he'd be going back on his word -- the four-time All-Star said last summer that he definitely intended to sign a five-year deal in 2015 and wanted to become the best Blazer of all-time.
The Oregonian's Jason Quick, however, called Aldridge fickle, moody and unpredictable when reporting that at least one Blazer thought there was a 50-50 chance he'd leave. While he's beloved in Portland and has a great running mate in Damian Lillard, San Antonio would offer him a chance to play in his home state, under Gregg Popovich, alongside Leonard, Tony Parker, great role players and possibly Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, depending on if they want to make another run. There have been rumors about this for a long while, and he'd be crazy not to at least consider it.
The funny thing is imagining Leonard playing the role of recruiter. He's the quietest guy in the league, and it's incredibly difficult to picture him trying to convince any free agent to do anything. Fortunately for the Spurs, his play is doing the talking for them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25162933/report-spurs-to-pursue-lamarcus-aldridge-after-giving-kawhi-leonard-max-contract
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down