The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works?

+5
wide clyde
bobc33
bobheckler
kdp59
international
9 posters

Go down

The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works? Empty The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works?

Post by international Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:31 pm

How many do the Celtics have?Can you go over the salary cap using them?

international

Back to top Go down

The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works? Empty Re: The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works?

Post by kdp59 Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:44 pm

you can start here and get most/al of the answers.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q83

remember the CBA was written by lawyers ( no offense to lawyers).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works? Empty Re: The trade exceptions,can somebody explain me how does it works?

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:13 pm

I think this is the most important and relevant part:

There are several common misconceptions about trade exceptions and non-simultaneous trades:

Teams cannot use trade exceptions to sign free agents; they can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. However, a team can acquire a free agent using a trade exception if he is signed by his prior team and traded in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 91).

Trade exceptions are not traded from one team to another. Sometimes it appears like this is happening when one team uses a trade exception to acquire salary without sending salary away, and the other team gains a trade exception in the same process because they sent away salary without receiving salary in return. However, the trade exception the first team uses and the trade exception the second team gains are two distinct exceptions.

Teams cannot combine trade exceptions with other exceptions (such as the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception or a taxpaying team's 125% plus $100,000 margin from another simultaneous trade) in order to trade for a more expensive player. For example, a taxpaying team with a $1 million trade exception cannot combine it with their $2 million player to trade for a $3 million player (see question number 88 for more information on combining exceptions).

A common misconception is that players cannot be traded together in a non-simultaneous trade. This is not true -- players can be traded together as long as the outgoing salaries are not aggregated. For example, trading two $10 million players for a $20 million player requires aggregation, and therefore must be simultaneous. But trading two $10 million players for a $12 million player can be accomplished without aggregation -- one of the $10 million players would be used to acquire the $12 million player in a simultaneous trade, and the other $10 million player would be traded for "nothing," in a non-simultaneous trade, gaining the team a $10 million trade exception.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 am

head spinning yet, international?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by international Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:05 am

Thanks guys,i have a better idea now.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 am

Why does the NBA have such complicated rules regarding all this?

There must be a rationale, I guess to prevent future Ted Sepians, but it seems to be a successful team you have to be a cap and trade exception whiz rather than an astute judge of basketball talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:05 am

bobc33 wrote:Why does the NBA have such complicated rules regarding all this?  

There must be a rationale, I guess to prevent future Ted Sepians, but it seems to be a successful team you have to be a cap and trade exception whiz rather than an astute judge of basketball talent.

bob,

ABSOLUTELY!!  The days of where the GM just has to have a good eye for talent is way gone.

Not being a capologist myself, it seems to me that the TPE facilitates trades by allowing teams to make trades even though the numbers don't work today.  It's like trading for a future draft pick.  You don't have to pick them right now, but there is some value to it in the future.  With picks, it's more problematic what the values are since it will depend upon where the team whose pick it originally was ends up on the standings and how protected those picks are, etc.  With TPEs you know exactly how much money you will have available for use and when that exception expires.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:31 am

it's just a bunch of BS stuff they allow becasue the NBA and the NBAPA refuses to do a real hard cap.

Trade exceptions, Bird rules, Mid-level excpetions, min-mid level exceptions, cap holds for free agents and rookies...all unneeded BS, if both sides would see the new TV money as a way out of that cap crap.

reality is with the NEW TV money, both side COULD agree to an NFL type hard cap with little to no implications. They could allow another one year waiver of a single contract to get all teams under the hard cap in 2017.

of course both sides would need to be sitting down NOW to get it in place for the 2016 cap year.

set the 2016 cap at a maximum of $110M with a minimum of $80M.

no exceptions allowed Or needed.

you CANNOT go oveer the max, as the league will not apporve any contracts over tha amount...DONE.

if you are BEL:WO the minium, every players salary is adjusted UP as needed to make the minimum (like today)...DONE.

I am realy AMAZED that the NBA and Silver haven't been working on this, with the opportunity the TV has given BOTH sides.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:48 pm

kdp,

I do not know anything about the working of the trade exceptions as they may as well be written in Martian for me, but I do like your simple way of having the NBA and the players association come together with the hard cap and the hard minimum.

It would be much easier for simpletons, like me, to understand.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:05 pm

wide clyde and kdp,

Just like income taxes.  If a much simpler method, like a straight-up percentage, was instituted, then doing one's personal taxes would become much easier each year.  It would also put many people at the IRS and at accounting firms out of a job.

That would lead to chaos, I tell you! The end of civilization as we know it (LOL)  

We need all the tax people and the cap-ologists to remain at their jobs in order to keep the economy running smoothly!

gyso

PS: (LOL!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:10 pm

kdp,

I agree that the cap rules and all the related aspects you mention seem overly complicated to us regular fans, but I don't think you're recognizing the drawbacks of the hard cap.

The cap will be going up with the new TV contract and it seems like a virtually unlimited amount of money to us working stiffs, but the salaries will adjust to the new level, the new level will become the new normal, and the issues that come with a hard cap will become real issues.

In particular, a hard cap can severely impact the ability of a successful team to stay together or for teams in general to keep players once they develop into stars. What happened to the Baltimore Ravens when they paid Joe Flacco the going rate for a Superbowl-winning quarterback? They weren't able to sign several other key players, and they took a big step back in competitiveness. Seattle is looking at the same scenario.

The Patriots have been able to maintain competitive longevity by signing guys on the cheap and regularly getting rid of anyone once they got too expensive. Brady is the only untouchable (and they even convinced him to sign for less), and anyone else who has become a star is gone. It's a highwire act that Belichick has been successful at playing, but it's not a model that everyone can use.

In the hard-cap NFL, most good teams are like meteors -- a brief period of success, then they fall apart.

In a hard-cap NBA, if the Celtics build a successful team, it wouldn't be able to stay together once they achieved any measure of success. Being able to go over the cap to match a competing offer in order to keep a player on your team is a huge factor in keeping a team together.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Outside,

yes i am fully aware of the so-called drawbacks to a hard salary cap.

however, the well run teams always find ways to stay uncer the cap and have winning teams in the NFL. The less well run teams are less sucessful (as it should be to me).

The NFL also uses less guaranteed money on contracts typically, while NBA deals are almost always fully guaranteed ( though there has been some movement on that the past few years).

the same would happen with any sport using a hard salary cap.

Tim Duncan plays for about $10-12M a year now, because he wnats to finish his career at SA. He wouldhave gotten MAX money from anothert team his last deal if he wanted.

my point on the TV money is becasue the cap will have a one year increase by as much as $20M, THAT is the year to turn to a hard NFL style cap.

most teams would be fully able to transition in that year (as loing as it was done BEFORE THIS yeras FA signings). which bring us to the fact that this is all a moot point. there is no discussions being had between the NBA and the NBAPA about changing the cap right now, so it's not going to happen.

IMO< the NBAPA would want the league to go back to the old 55% of revenue to players to take a hard cap and I am not sure the owners would be willing to go back to that, eeven if they would be better off with a hard cap rule.

oh well....thats what collective bargaining is all about....glad i have a non-union business myself.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm all in favor of keeping teams together.  But, in looking at a greater picture than just the Celtics, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for a given team (including the Celtics) to flame out after having success.  As a Celtics fan, I would prefer that they win the championship every season.  As a fan of the NBA, I would prefer that the success be shared among many teams.

And, if a hard cap were imposed on NBA teams, why wouldn't there be LESS player movement?  Doesn't being able to go over the cap allow teams as much flexibility in making offers to other teams' players as in matching offers to their own players?  It's difficult to imagine any scenario under which tighter financial controls on player salaries would "encourage" less player loyalty than exists today.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 pm

kdp,

I agree if they're going to change how the cap works, the jump in money with the new TV contract is the time to do it.

Thanks for reminding me about the NFL's non-guaranteed contracts. It seems like a lot of teams sign players for huge contracts just to get guys to sign, knowing that they will likely release the guy before the big money kicks in. Teams abuse that, in my view.

I'm fine with simplifying things, but I'm not sold on the virtues of a hard cap. I'd like to see a happier medium.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Thank God Red is not around for this! He would have gone crazy having to deal with all of this.

Do I assume that if, the Celtics let Bass go, they could sign him with a trade exception if he was available?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Rosalie,

Traded player exceptions (TPEs) are for trades. The Celtics can acquire a player from another team using one of their traded player exceptions in order to match salaries.

If the Celtics let Bass go, he would be a free agent. You cannot use a trade exception to directly sign a free agent.

If the Celtics want to sign Bass, they can. They just cannot use a TPE to do it.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down