Brad Stevens: Boston Celtics Too Young

4 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens:  Boston Celtics Too Young Empty Brad Stevens: Boston Celtics Too Young

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:09 pm

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11970-brad-stevens-to-jeff-goodman-boston-celtics-too-young

Brad Stevens to Jeff Goodman: Boston Celtics Too Young
Written by  Edward Santiago

Brad Stevens to Jeff Goodman: Boston Celtics Too Young

The Boston Celtics have brought in quite a few prospects this week, and will continue to do so until the draft comes up. So, this week on the Celtics Beat Podcast who better to bring in than NBA Draft Guru, and ESPN College Basketball Insider Jeff Goodman to talk about the best fits for the team, and what the Celtics should due come draft day.

“It’ll be interesting to see what he [Danny Ainge] does at this point,” Goodman said “does he package maybe another first rounder for next year and try to add something whether it’s a player, whether its to move up if there’s a guy on the board that he really likes”

In terms of the draft as a whole, Goodman believes that there is a bit of a drop off after the top four or five guys.

“There’s not a ton of disparity after the top four or five guys if you include Porzingis.” Goodman said “there’s a little bit of separation, and then there’s not a lot of disparity between those guys.”

The Boston Celtics are already a young team as currently constructed, and with all the draft picks this year are slated to get younger. Goodman talked about when he was able to catch up with head coach Brad Stevens and talked about how he doesn’t believe they will be able to add all these young guys.

“You don’t want to load up with too many young guys on this team. They’re already young,” Goodman said “I was talking to Brad Stevens about that in Chicago for the combine and he even said ‘I wouldn’t be shocked, we can’t keep adding all these young guys’ you just can’t numbers wise. So I don’t know if it’s gonna be this year, I would think they end up adding two guys and trade for a future or what not.”

The Celtics may be looking to add a player that will be able to help them  next year, and to win right away. Adding a veteran that is ready to help the team win now can help more than a rookie.

“Ainge has got again all these chips that he can play around with.” Goodman said “and ultimately you’d like to get a little bit more of an established player if you can that’s gonna help you win now if you can because now the expectations have been raised.”

We all know what the Celtics needs are. The team needs interior defense, and a wing with size and can shoot.

“If you’re saying what do the Celtics need more than anything else, the kid [Mario] Hezonja probably fits,” Goodman said “because again he’s athletic. They need a big athletic wing who  can also shoot the ball. That’s what this kid is. He’s got a buyout, but most people think that’s not an issue and he’ll be playing over here next year.”

Hezonja is projected to go anywhere between picks 7 and 12, so what could the Celtics will likely have to trade up to acquire him.

To hear the entire interview with Jeff Goodman of ESPN tune into the Celtics Beat Podcast with Larry H. Russell. Goodman talks about the draft in general, the fits for the Boston Celtics, and some sleepers that can be there for the Celtics at 28 and 33.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens:  Boston Celtics Too Young Empty Re: Brad Stevens: Boston Celtics Too Young

Post by Sam Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:24 pm

The key sentence for me is simple: Adding a veteran that is ready to help the team win now can help more than a rookie.

Hopefully, the Celtics have gone through their period of developing a youthful foundation.  It's amazing how quickly the youth corps (excepting maybe Young) has matured in both their chemistry and their poise.  All the more reason why this could be an ideal time to acquire a veteran or two who can reinforce and presumably accelerate the maturation process.

Of course, this doesn't mean they should ignore the opportunity to acquire one or more young players with a lot of promise—especially if a defensive/rebounding center becomes available.  And some veterans (can you say, "Cousins?") are probably less mature than some of the children of draft entries.  But, in general, I hope an enhanced maturation process will help pull the parts together and begin to focus more consistently on the entire organism.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens:  Boston Celtics Too Young Empty Re: Brad Stevens: Boston Celtics Too Young

Post by wide clyde Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 pm

There is no question that adding the 'right' young veteran players (2 or 3) this year will speed up the process of getting to 50 wins, a higher place in the east, a first round playoff win and perhaps additional playoff series (or two) wins in 2015-16.

Adding 3 rookies this year will slow the process because the rookies not only have to fit into their team but they also have to learn the league where a young vet(s) will only have to fit in with his new team. This is why I think that trading some of the many draft picks that Ainge has in trades both this summer and also probably next summer as well should be a big part of the GM's plan of action.

This is not to say that adding a top level rookie should not be part of the process this summer because it is always important to add a top quality rookie whenever possible makes a better chance at long term team success. Trading up to get into the top 8 of this year's draft is a good idea.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 am

OK Sam and Wide,

as we creep closer to the new league year and the draft...who are those players you would each see as helping us take the next step.

I realize not everyone enjoys the "player moves game" as much as I for one does. but there have been enough posts here over the past few weeks that we all know the players who are free agents, those that could be on the trading block and the top rookie in this years draft.

so If each of you were transferred onto Danny's head what players would you make a play for to improve the team?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down