NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft"

+3
sinus007
Sam
7 posters

Go down

NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft" Empty NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft"

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:30 pm

SB NATION

By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on Jun 2, 2015, 11:05p 195

Chad Ford published his latest mock draft today and he does his best to gather intel from around the league (which I always find more interesting than his pick predictions anyway).

Here's what he said about the Cetlics:

The Celtics seem to be intent on moving up in the draft. The question is whether their assets (a bunch of solid young players and some middling first-round picks) can get them there.

In related news, he also mentions a number of lottery teams looking to trade back or out of the lottery in exchange for immediate help.

After the first five picks are off the board, things will start to get interesting. Five of the next six teams in the draft -- the Kings, Pistons, Hornets, Heat and Pacers -- all have playoff aspirations next season and if the right offer comes along, these picks can definitely be had.

So who do you think the Celtics would be targeting that high in the draft? What package of players and picks would you be willing to move to get in that range? Food for thought, if these teams need immediate help for a playoff run, maybe they'd ask for Isaiah Thomas. Or maybe Jared Sullinger would be enough to entice them to move back. I think I'd like to hang on to the future Nets picks if at all possible.

One mock draft on SI.com had the Celtics trading all their 2015 picks to the Kings for the 6th pick. I think I'd be happy with that result no matter who they picked there (SI projects that they take WCS).

NBA Mock Draft: Jahlil Okafor edges Karl-Anthony Towns for No. 1 in new projections - NBA - SI.com

[Trade: Celtics acquire No. 6 pick from Kings in exchange for No. 16, No. 28 and No. 33 pick.] With Rudy Gay and DeMarcus Cousins in place and having taken Nik Stauskas last season, the Kings could pass on a slew of top-notch wings and frontcourt types and deal the pick to a team like Boston in order to acquire more assets. The Celtics roster features several skilled young bigs, but none with the ability to anchor a defense like Cauley-Stein. He’ll thrive alongside a solid guard corps and help push Boston’s rebuild forward.

Back to top Go down

NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft" Empty Re: NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft"

Post by Sam Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:53 pm

WCS is my favorite Celtics' "possible" in the crap shoot.  Expend whatever draft picks are necessary to move up; leave the tankmeisters in the rear view mirror by drafting WCS, and use trades and free agency to get shooters and fill any other needs.  They'll get more value with wings in free agency and trades because big guys are likely to be more overpriced than wings.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft" Empty Re: NBA Draft trade rumor: Celtics "intent on moving up in the draft"

Post by Sam Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:54 pm

WCS is my favorite Celtics' possible in the crap shoot.  Expend whatever draft picks are necessary to move up; leave the tankmeisters in the rear view mirror by drafting WCS, and use trades and free agency to get shooters and fill any other needs.  They'll get more value with wings in free agency and trades because big guys are likely to be more overpriced than wings.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:56 am

Hi,
I have a feeling that I've already read a similar article 2-3 weeks ago: go up in the draft and grab WCS.
If they do get him I pray that he turns out deserving No.6

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Sinus, you're exactly right about recycled themes.  We're getting them more and more frequently.

To clarify my stance, my preference for WCS is totally relative and assumes that the Celtics will use the draft to obtain a difference-making center.

I'd rather that Celtics would get a proven veteran defensive enforcer than trust the crap shoot to produce one.  For example, given the opportunity (which is unlikely), I'd rather take a chance on being able to expand Cousins' talents to include defensive intimidator than to depend on WCS to transfer those talents from college to the pros.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Cousins vs. WCS? A proven vet who could be coached by the most affable mentor in the pros vs. a not yet rookie with limited offensive skills? Not a hard choice for me either Sam.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:31 pm

Either trading for Cousins or trading up for WCS (6th?) makes sense to me. Drafting at #16 does not help the re-build as fast as either of the two trading scenarios even if a decent player does get drafted 16th.

There is a reason that Ainge has accumulated all of the draft picks that he has in the last two years and that reason is to use them for trades, in my opinion. This is especially true after the Cs won enough games to get out of the "tank" and get into the playoffs.

There is no way that even half of his 18-20 picks in the next four years will ever (and, probably should not ever) wear a Boston Celtics green uniform. Our team is going to get better again next year and will do the same again the following year. Most of his own picks are going to start to fall into the 20s (first rounders) and 50s (second rounders) which means that they will be less valuable when we get to them. Yes, there are the three Nets picks that most likely will have more value, but most of the other picks in his stockpile will not be "plum" picks.

In fact, the majority of his draft picks should not even get to wear one of those beautiful gray, home jerseys either. You know, the ones with the sleeves.

With no trades of the many draft picks, drafting and then cutting probably 12 of the 18 picks in the next four years makes no sense, but trading the draft picks PRIOR to them getting picked is a great idea. By throwing in some of his picks from down the road, he may not even have to part with all of his picks this year.

And, if he does have to give away #16 this year to get either Cousins or Cauley-Stein then I would trade up to the early 20s this year to get Upshaw by giving away #28 and #33 if necessary. Yes, he (Upshaw) is a huge gamble, but he also has huge physical skills that outshine all the other centers in this year's draft. With Cousins or Cauley-Stein after a trade, Upshaw becomes less likely to turn into a total bust (as far as the re-build goes for next season) if he does not make it especially if he is picked in the 20s this year.

I say take a chance on a very physically talented center type this year as there are always guards and forwards to get in free agency or by way of trades using draft picks and trade exceptions. Centers are sooo much harder to find as well all know and have posted numerous times.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Centers and point guards generally take the longest to develop; centers because they need to bulk up and grow into their bodies (and get used to the greater physicality of the NBA over college for a season that is twice as long as the college season) and point guards because of the learning curve.  Therefore, these are the two positions I would least like to draft if we want to turn this around quickly.  Draft wings, draft PFs, draft SGs.  Trade or sign for centers and point guards.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:33 pm

I like WCS more than most college crnters becauae he's older. His bones have had a chance to settle and the growth plates have closed. When a 7' 19 year old has to play 82 games in the NBA that's a huge stress on an immature skeletal structure (think Greg Oden) and permanent injuries can result....not so much a problem with shorter players. If not an older tall college player then i'd prefer to trade for a veteran.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:58 pm

I think that I previously mentioned what I think Boston needs to add this year.

We need at least two more accurate shooters and 2 more bigs (A power forward and a center) will work for me.  Wondering if the wingspan for the kid Christmas out of the Q is accurate.  I think I saw something like 7' 5" at 6' 10" tall.  PF/C  The wingspan would more than make up for the height and from what I read he killed at the combine when 5 on 5 competition was going on.

What I am suggesting is that if Boston cannot get a quality center take the next best thing, a PF with length and  strength.  Portis is an obvious choice but Christmas could be there late in the 1st round.

the # 1 shooter that I would go after (and I also mentioned his name a while back) is the kid Booker from Kentucky.

I am not as high on WCS as some and I think my reasoning is pretty rationale.  WCS is NOT a great rebounder, has a very under developed offensive game and looks more to me like PF with length who is best as a weak side defender.  I thought his on the ball defense against the center Kaminski was revealing.  And although the scouting report talks about his ability to cover smaller wing players, I saw multiple instances where guards were  blowing by him.  So in my not so humble opinion, I would like to see Boston get him but let's not give away too much to get him.

That's it

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:02 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NBA Combine Competitive Action Recap: Day One
May 14, 2015
20 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 7-10 2P, 6-9, FT, 29 minutes FT

The 6' 9” big man was one of the best players between both groups on Thursday, showcasing a much more polished offensive game than we saw at Syracuse. Known mostly for his rim protection, offensive rebounding and ability to finish (thanks to his 7' 5.25” wingspan) with the Orange, Christmas scored in a variety of ways on Thursday. The Virgin Islands native knocked down a handful of mid-range jumpers, including a step back going to his right. Christmas also ran the floor in transition, dropped in a right handed jump hook and showed off his mobility by diving hard out of pick and roll sets. Christmas did a lot of damage facing up from mid-post areas as well. The 23-year-old big man shot nine free throws, in large part due to his ability to jab right, put it on the floor going left, and sweep his arms through the defender to draw the foul – he even dropped in an And 1 floater on one occasion. Christmas scored in a variety of ways on Thursday and did a couple of things scouts and executives questioned about his game during his four years in college. Christmas certainly helped himself on day one of the NBA Combine.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3c8a410kV
http://www.draftexpress.com
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down