While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger

3 posters

Go down

While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger Empty While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:00 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/while_assessing_jahlil_okafor.html

While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger

While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger 17610571-mmmain
FILE: Cleveland Cavaliers' Timofey Mozgov, right, defends Boston Celtics' Jared Sullinger (7) in a first round NBA playoff basketball game Sunday, April 19, 2015, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Mark Duncan)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on June 18, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Over at Grantland, Ryen Russilo's "NBA Draft Confidential" posts are always interesting reads. Thursday, he offered scouts' takes on three of the top draft prospects: Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell.

Within all the neat basketball talk, one scout compared Okafor to Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger. And not in a flattering manner.

"Now I've heard, if you were to ask the Duke people, and they were to be honest with you, there's not a great love for the game (for Okafor)," said the anonymous scout. "Not like you'd think. Not a great passion.

"He'll be there, and do the right things. But it's like Jared Sullinger: I want to play, but I don't want to lose weight. I don't want to really get in shape. I want to do enough, but I'm not going to do extra. And that is concerning."

For big men, especially, learning a strong work ethic can be tough. Sullinger dominated at every level until the NBA, and has shown promise for the Celtics despite persistent weight issues. Okafor has always been a force, but won't maximize his ridiculous cupboard of skills unless he dedicates himself fully.

Every year, prospects enter the draft with conditioning and/or work ethic as a question mark. Some of those players extend themselves and remodel their games -- think Kevin Love. Others, like Sullinger so far, decline to put in the necessary work.

Just three years into his career, the young Celtic still has time to change his reputation. But he will only do that if he can change his mindset. With a contract year approaching and a troubling foot issue in the recent past, the time could be now or never.

bob
MY NOTE:  This year is the one where we see how much ganas and discipline Sully has.  A big year for him, no pun intended.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger Empty Re: While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger

Post by Sam Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Bob,

I'd use one my favorite words, "pivotal," to describe what this year will be like for Sully, whether or not he's still with the Celtics after the summer dust clears.  Funny that, during his early Celtics career, I had him pegged as having the perfect NBA temperament (perhaps stimulated largely by hid dad, Satch).  But his body and facial language more recently have appeared those of a smart-Alec.  I could easily be placing too much stress on appearances, but I hope he can right his personal ship, whatever the true facts are.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger Empty Re: While assessing Jahlil Okafor, NBA scout takes shot at Boston Celtics big man Jared Sullinger

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:06 pm

lets hope Sully reads some of this stuff and wants to prove some writers very wrong.

well, unless Danny trades him then I don't really care.

just sayin'
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down