Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins

+4
kdp59
wide clyde
Sam
8 posters

Go down

Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins Empty Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 am

Yahoo Sports

By Adrian Wojnarowski

Despite Sacramento Kings management's public insistence that DeMarcus Cousins is unavailable in deals, coach George Karl's intense desire to trade the All-Star center has made it increasingly unlikely this coach-star partnership can peacefully co-exist next season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Karl has been recruiting Kings vice president of basketball operations Vlade Divac and multiple players on the Kings' roster to unite with him in making the case to owner Vivek Ranadive that Cousins needs to be traded, league sources said.

George Karl (right) doesn't have the same level of trust with DeMarcus Cousins as Mike Malone did. (Getty Imag …
Since the end of the 2014-15 season, Cousins has become aware of Karl's campaign to move him – including teammates telling Cousins, sources said. All around the Kings and Cousins, there is a growing belief the coach-player relationship is irreparable. Trust is a constant theme with Cousins, and he's been unable to build any with Karl, sources said.
No one in the Sacramento organization – not coaches, nor players, nor support staff – wants to imagine the combustible scenario awaiting Karl and Cousins should the Kings try to reunite them in training camp.

Ranadive has remained the biggest Kings advocate for holding onto Cousins, and several sources indicate he has become irritated with Karl's insistence that the coach doesn't believe he can manage the supremely skilled and strong-minded star. Cousins has held a firm loyalty to former Kings coach Michael Malone, whom Ranadive fired shortly into last season. Under Karl, that relationship couldn't begin to be duplicated in the final weeks of the season.

Karl and members of the Kings front office have made it clear to opposing team executives and coaches that they hope to soon have a formal ownership authorization to actively shop Cousins, sources said. Kings officials, including Karl, have discussed potential deals informally with other teams, but no other front office has felt comfortable that any deal can happen until Ranadive is fully on board.

For now, the Kings are pursuing trade scenarios for everyone on the roster, including talented forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Sacramento officials believe it will be difficult to find a trade partner that can give the Kings the value it wants for Cousins – and has a better chance to find a deal for Gay, sources said.

The Los Angeles Lakers have had significant interest with Cousins, but their No. 2 overall pick isn't as appealing to the Kings as finding a deal that includes established, veteran players. Ranadive doesn't want to rebuild with a move into a new arena on the horizon, and Karl is chasing Don Nelson's all-time NBA career victories record. Karl's interest isn't in cultivating long-term assets, but rather compiling as many victories as possible in the near future.

Most teams trying to trade into the lottery believe the Kings are determined to package the sixth overall pick to bring back veteran talent.

Gay signed a three-year, $40 million extension that starts with the 2015-16 season, a contract that has become even more palatable to teams with the sharp rise coming in the NBA salary cap. Gay has played well in his two-plus seasons with the Kings and remains a target of interest with multiple teams, front-office executives said.

Sacramento is motivated to find a way to create more salary-cap space with possible deals, something that the Kings will need to pursue Dallas Mavericks free-agent point guard Rajon Rondo, league sources said. The Kings and Rondo have a mutual interest, with Rondo intrigued with the idea of a potential one-year deal in Sacramento that could help to rebuild his league-wide value, sources said.

Back to top Go down

Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins Empty Re: Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins

Post by Sam Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 am

Wouldn't it be ironic if Rondo somehow helped the Celtics obtain Cousins?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins Empty Re: Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins

Post by wide clyde Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 am

This situation was being written about as soon as Karl was named Sacramento's head coach during the past season. So, it is not too terribly surprising to read again that Karl does not really want Cousins on his team.

It is also not surprising that the Kings front office people recently said that they had zero plans to trade Cousins. Of course, to protect his value in a trade they had (have) no other choice but to say that he will not be traded. Admitting that they wanted to trade this guy so early in the off season would have greatly lowered his value all around the league.

This is NBA smoke screen season, but it looks like Cousins can be had in trade. Just a matter of which team is going to offer the Kings what they think is the best deal.

If the Kings trade Cousins it would seem to me that they are actually taking a step or two backwards hoping to eventually take some steps forward. Averaging only 26 wins per year for about the last ten years in the western conference may finally be telling them that the plan they are on now is not working and needs to be adjusted. Having Cousins for five of those ten years may mean that they are going to try to progress without him in whatever their new plan may be.

A change of scenery for Cousins seems to be nearing, and if he lands in the right place he could turn his new team around. His talents would look good in a Celtics uniform.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:41 am

actually Wide,

it's more like the Kings want to get into the playoffs sooner. everything I read says they are NOT looking for draft picks, but instead vet players that KARL can win with.

Faried and Lawson would be two pieces that Karl HAS gotten to the playoffs with before.

Karl and Cousins games are like oil and water.

I think there is a real chamce that Ainge at least gets into the game for any Cousins trade.

and it can actually be done before the end of this NBA season yet.

that would mean Danny can keep the trade exceptions he has, resign any/all of his own FA's and still even have the Mid level exception to use if need be.

or he can chose to go under the cap at the start of the new league year in July as well. though that may actually limit his choices.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 pm

DeMarcus Cousins ✔@boogiecousins

Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins 1f33eSources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins 1f40dSources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins 1f33e

DeMarcus CousinsVerified account
‏@boogiecousins

bob
MY NOTE: I wonder who DeMarcus is saying is the "snake in the grass"? Gonna be an active draft and offseason.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:50 pm

I would imagine it's George Karl.

Certainly active enough to keep us awake on Thursday evening.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:54 am

Sources: George Karl pushing for Kings to trade DeMarcus Cousins It

bob
MY NOTE:  Too bad IT doesn't have any say over who the Kings trade him to.  All this means is that, if Danny can pull it off, Cousins will be coming here all aglow...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 am

Can the C's beat what the Lakers have to offer (one report says the 2nd pick and Julius Randle, not sure if anything else was included). What would we have to give up to beat this offer??

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:25 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:Can the C's beat what the Lakers have to offer (one report says the 2nd pick and Julius Randle, not sure if anything else was included). What would we have to give up to beat  this offer??

shamrock,

The rumor mill is that Sacto wants veteran players and not draft picks in exchange for Cousins because they're tired of the crap shoot and want to get off that treadmill. If the Lakers are offering Randle, who is both young and has played a grand total of 14 NBA minutes due to season ending injury, and another draft pick then that doesn't fit the buyer's profile. Danny can offer Sully, who is a double-double machine with the minutes and/or Kelly. Granted, they're not exactly big names but they both have either 2 or 3 years of experience and that's a total of 5 years of NBA experience more than Randle and #2 have. Other than that, I don't see how Danny can compete.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am

Shamrock,

Maybe Okafor and randle , basically two rookies would be enough for the 6o something Karl to want to coach, but I dounbt it.

check out my thread below about Divac= kiss of death.

in there I layed a three way deal with Denver that I feel is one way Danny can get Cousins AND be fair to all three teams.

Karl wants Lawson and Faried from denver.

Denver wants to rebuild

maybe Danny wants Cousins?

in my example we give up Bradley and Sully, #16 pick and a second rounder next year to Denver.

Zeller, #45 and a first next year goes to the Kings, aliong with Lawson and faried from denver.

we get Cousins.

I think that deal works for a cap even, but there are other ways to get it done.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:49 am

Bob and KDP,

Yeah, I saw the reports that Karl wants veterans so he can win now. If Karl is really calling the shots, the scenarios you present may be possible. That being said, I feel that the general perception would be that the Kings got hosed in either of those scenarios. In contrast, nobody could call them fools for accepting the Lakers offer, particularly if Boogie is unhappy. Let's hope I'm wrong though...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:00 pm

If the Celtics get Boogie, he automatically becomes a maturing natural leader who is all about the team and winning.

If the Lakers get Boogie, he automatically becomes an insufferable egomanic who destroys his own team spirit and acts as a lightning rod for the competitive instincts of opponents.

I can't help it.  That's the way it is.  Right, TJ?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Bob and KDP,

Yeah, I saw the reports that Karl wants veterans so he can win now. If Karl is really calling the shots, the scenarios you present may be possible. That being said, I feel that the general perception would be that the Kings got hosed in either of those scenarios. In contrast, nobody could call them fools for accepting the Lakers offer, particularly if Boogie is unhappy. Let's hope I'm wrong though...

shamrock and kdp,

Another thing Danny has going in his favor, which the Lakers cannot overcome, is that they might want Cousins OUT of the WC in general and especially out of the Pacific Division. The absolute worst nightmare for a GM is that a traded player has huge games against them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:11 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:Bob and KDP,

shamrock and kdp,

Another thing Danny has going in his favor, which the Lakers cannot overcome, is that they might want Cousins OUT of the WC in general and especially out of the Pacific Division.  The absolute worst nightmare for a GM is that a traded player has huge games against them.

bob

Good point - nothing could be worse for the Kings PR than Boogie regularly punishing them for the next ten years.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:09 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/24/because-things-not-crazy-enough-kings-reportedly-interested-in-javale-mcgee/

Because things are not crazy enough, Kings reportedly interested in JaVale McGee
Kurt Helin Jun 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Denver wanted JaVale McGee off their roster so badly last season they attached a first rounder to his trade package just to move him. Of course, Philadelphia jumped in to get that pick, but the Sixers were not going to inject McGee into their young locker room, so they bought him out. McGee could sign anywhere he wanted yet he couldn’t reach a deal with anyone.

So who wants him now? How about the Sacramento Kings.

The team already in the middle of the DeMarcus Cousins struggle — the owner loves Cousins and wants to build around him, the coach George Karl is trying to push him out the door — may be in the running to bring in McGee. Because things aren’t crazy enough. From Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.

Obviously this is another sign of George Karl trying to remake the Kings’ roster to his liking. McGee was one of his guys when he coached Denver to 57 wins a few years back. It’s part of the ongoing power struggle in Sacramento.

Not that on the court getting McGee is terrible idea — last time he played for Karl he scored an efficient 9.1 points a game, mostly off the bench — it’s simply the questions of cost, and if you think your locker room can handle his big personality.

For all his Shaqtin’ a Fool flaws, McGee remains an athletic big man who can be solid in a limited role. He can block shots, and he runs the floor well, getting points in transition. Off the bench behind Cousins he has value. But he needs to get paid like a backup center.

But is he really what the Kings need?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Aren't the 76ers paying McGee again this season?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Doubt Boogie winds up in the WC.CROSSING MY FINGERS.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 pm

In the water closet?  Is he known to have a bad bladder?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:03 pm

sam wrote:If the Celtics get Boogie, he automatically becomes a maturing natural leader who is all about the team and winning.

If the Lakers get Boogie, he automatically becomes an insufferable egomanic who destroys his own team spirit and acts as a lightning rod for the competitive instincts of opponents.

I can't help it.  That's the way it is.  Right, TJ?

Sam

Lol Sam. Very true.
It is interesting how we view our own players and other teams players.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:14 pm

I'll never say never but the odds are so slim of Danny getting a trade done for Cousins. I think a more realistic opportunity is Danny sign Love and Lopez, trade Sully or KO or both for some solid role players and sign Bass as a backup PF. Zeller slides into backup center position.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Sam, you are so funny. WC is the Western Conference.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13148737/sacramento-kings-owner-vivek-ranadive-considering-firing-coach-george-karl

Kings owner Vivek Ranadive considers firing George Karl over potential trade of DeMarcus Cousins

Chris Broussard, NBA analyst

Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive has considered firing George Karl, who was hired as coach four months ago to help turn around the struggling franchise.

Friction between Kings owner Vivek Ranadive, left, and coach George Karl stems from Karl's desire to trade All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins. AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli
Ranadive's displeasure with Karl stems from the coach's desire to trade All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

No potential replacement for Karl has been mentioned or considered, and while removing Karl would appease Cousins, it would not necessarily end the dysfunction that is crippling the franchise, the source said.

"If you fire Karl, now you can't control Cousins because he'll know he's running the place," the source said. "Now he'll feel like he's telling you what to do."

A huge fan of Cousins, Ranadive has been steadfast in refusing to grant Karl's wish, but Karl's attempts to have Cousins moved have worsened an already poor relationship between the coach and player.

There was pushback from Cousins' camp when the Kings hired Karl, and the Sacramento Bee reported that Cousins and Karl haven't spoken for months.

Cousins appeared to allude to the situation in a tweet Thursday afternoon.

DeMarcus Cousins ✔@boogiecousins
What's done in the dark comes to the light ...
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:55 pm

well if the reports are true ( and I say if) that Karl has been out on a limb and trying to sabotage Cousins, while the rest of management and the owner want to build WITH Couisns.

then the owner should fire Karl immediately!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:00 pm

What a mess!  Just another of myriad examples of "easy news."  Whatever the media can dredge up to titillate the public without actually having to delve into the game of basketball.  Think about it.  What percentage of the "basketball news" we're fed actually deals with the game of basketball as opposed to peripheral factors?  I hear they're scheduling fan fights and a couple of referee stabbings during the Summer Leagues—just to spice things up while the sports scribes can do their rotisserie thing around the pool. 

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:08 pm

sam wrote:What a mess!  Just another of myriad examples of "easy news."  Whatever the media can dredge up to titillate the public without actually having to delve into the game of basketball.  Think about it.  What percentage of the "basketball news" we're fed actually deals with the game of basketball as opposed to peripheral factors?  I hear they're scheduling fan fights and a couple of referee stabbings during the Summer Leagues—just to spice things up while the sports scribes can do their rotisserie thing around the pool. 

Sam

Also, what percentage of articles are just restatements of previous articles? I honestly think it is near 75% if not more...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down