Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm

+3
dboss
wide clyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm Empty Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 am

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/070215-iverson-hopes-third-summer-league-with-cs-is-the-charm

Iverson Hopes Third Summer with C’s is the Charm

Posted: Jul 02, 2015

By Taylor C. Snow |  @Celtics
Celtics.com
July 2, 2015

Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm 150702

WALTHAM, Mass. – During his first two professional basketball seasons, Colton Iverson has been chomping at the bit to earn an NBA-level reputation. He’s yet to make a regular season roster in the NBA, but the 7-foot center is willing to take any road that will get him there.

The Celtics originally acquired Iverson from the Indiana Pacers during the 2013 NBA Draft. The 53rd overall pick then journeyed overseas to Europe, where he has been developing his game during the past two seasons.

Now, the 26-year-old is in the midst of his third summer league session with the C’s, and the organization has noticed some positive changes in his game.

“We had him right out of college and each year he’s come back, he’s added things to his game,” Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga said Thursday afternoon, following summer league practice. “He’s always been a great guy to have on your team, great guy to be around, but he’s become a pro and understands what it takes to improve.”

Larranaga believes that during Iverson’s time in Europe, “He’s made a step up and has gotten better and better, and he’s demonstrated that, at least in these first two days [of summer league workouts].”

He seems like a completely different player, according to Larranaga… for the most part, at least.

“He’s still huge, so that has remained the same,” said the assistant coach with a laugh.

That size is what shapes Iverson’s game; he hopes the C’s find a use for him and can somehow fit him into their mold.

“I’m physical, I’m a presence in the lane, I’m a defender and I do the dirty work that people don’t like to do,” said Iverson. “I think every team needs a guy like that.”

While he thrives as a powerful presence in the paint, Iverson said he’s been working on slimming down so he can keep up with smaller, more agile players.

“I’ve [gotten] quicker,” said Iverson, who currently weighs 252 pounds. “I’m just more mobile. I’m not slow like I used to be and I think it really shows.”

During his 2014-15 season with Laboral Kutxa Baskonia of the Spanish League, Iverson averaged 7.2 points and 5.9 rebounds – including 2.4 offensive boards – per game. That’s not bad, considering the fact he only played 20.5 minutes per contest.

The biggest lesson that he’s learned since turning pro is that, “I’ve got to be more demanding. More demanding of the ball, more demanding of rebounds; that’s what gets you to the next level, and I think I did a better job this last year in Spain.”

He’s hoping his progress will get him to the highest level, but he’ll have to prove himself this summer when the Celtics take the floor in Salt Lake City and Las Vegas.

“I know it’s going to be tough again to make the roster,” said Iverson, who turned 26 on Monday. “There’s a lot of players on contract right now and it would take some moves to happen.”

Regardless of how the summer league goes for Iverson, he will have something to celebrate following the hectic grind: At the end of July, he plans to marry his fiancé in Minnesota.

After that, he’d love to hitch a ride to Boston to tie another knot.

bob
MY NOTE: Go Colton! We need you Big Guy, if for no other reason than to stop Cowens from having a heart attack because we don't have any human wrecking machines. I watched him very carefully last summer league, more than any other player, and I was quite surprised when he didn't get an invite to camp.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm Empty Re: Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm

Post by wide clyde Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:45 pm

How can anyone not wish for good things for guys like Iverson?

He is back for his third year with a great attitude.  If you are going to have 15 guys on your roster it would not be the worst thing to have a big, strong and physical 7 footer on it somewhere. I hope that he can earn a roster spot this year.

Best of luck, young man.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm Empty Re: Iverson Hopes Third Summer With Celtics Is The Charm

Post by dboss Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:53 am

Well

In absence of trading for a center he maybe a very real option to make this team.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:44 am

I don't know why he wasn't given chance to compete in camp last year, he couldn't be worse defensively than the Hank Finkel wannabes Z and KO.....maybe Danny was trying to tank a little.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:20 pm

I hope that this guy gets a lot of minutes in the summer league this year and not the 6 minutes per half that he got last year. It is time for the Cs to really take a look at him this summer and not give his minutes to some other guy who is only on their roster to fill out the roster and possibly get a look from some European or D-League teams.

Please, put him on the floor for 13-14 minutes per half so that he can truly show (good or bad) what he can do. dboos is certainly correct in that he could make this team this year. And, if he does he will certainly be a very inexpensive piece to have on the bench especially when he really is the only true center type body on the entire roster besides Zeller at this time.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:35 pm

wide clyde wrote:I hope that this guy gets a lot of minutes in the summer league this year and not the 6 minutes per half that he got last year.  It is time for the Cs to really take a look at him this summer and not give his minutes to some other guy who is only on their roster to fill out the roster and possibly get a look from some European or D-League teams.

Please, put him on the floor for 13-14 minutes per half so that he can truly show (good or bad) what he can do.  dboos is certainly correct in that he could make this team this year.  And, if he does he will certainly be a very inexpensive piece to have on the bench especially when he really is the only true center type body on the entire roster besides Zeller at this time.

clyde,

I agree. Now that it looks like Robin Lopez is signing with the Knicks (huh?) the only real veteran center left is Koufos. If Danny doesn't like or want him, for whatever reason, he either has to feel like he has a shot at someone shaking loose later in the season or he has a 2-fer deal in mind which will help him get down to 1 less guaranteed contract.

I watched Iverson very closely last summer league, more so than any other player. I'll be doing that again this year too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:39 pm

I have been waiting for this guy to make the main roster since day 1..

Nothing makes me as happy during a game as seeing someone pound the living bejeezus out of an opponent for daring to come anywhere near the basket... make the other team shoot threes closer for 48 minutes cuz they are too terrified to come in any closer.  

Make Cow and me happy... give us colton and perk both..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Colton surprised me with his passing and shooting last summer.  Of course, it was Summer League, and the jump to the bigs can be a big one.  But, compared with a guy such as (for instance) Faverani, Colton seems to have the drive to make maximum use of his body.  I joined BobH last year in having my eyes glued to Colton.  Fortunately, I expect he'll get much more playing time this summer.

By the way, BobH, thanks for the words of support.  I aced every test, have a great chance to qualify for the minimally invasive version of the aortic valve replacement, and expect D Day within the next month-or-so with Paris to follow within days afterward.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:14 pm

Best oc luck with the valve replacent Sam. Sure hope Colt gets a shot.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down