NYCelt
kdp59
Outside
rambone
bobheckler
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Report:  David Lee Traded By GSW TO BOSTON CELTICS Empty Report: David Lee Traded By GSW TO BOSTON CELTICS

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 pm

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/reports-warriors-trade-lee-celtics?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Reports: Warriors trade Lee to Celtics
July 7, 2015, 11:45 am
Email

The David Lee era in Golden State is reportedly over.

The Warriors traded Lee to the Boston Celtics, according to multiple reports.

Marc Stein ✔@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say that the Celtics have agreed to send Gerald Wallace to the Warriors for David Lee
11:47 AM - 7 Jul 2015
  1,370 1,370 Retweets  520 520 favorites

Tommy Dee @ThomasCDee
Source tells me that David Lee has been traded from Golden State to the Boston Celtics.
11:34 AM - 7 Jul 2015
  112 112 Retweets  24 24 favorites

More to come...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SOURCE: CELTICS TRADE GERALD WALLACE FOR DAVID LEE

WEEI
By Ben Rohrbach

David Lee

The Celtics acquired David Lee from the Warriors in exchange for Gerald Wallace, a source has confirmed. Tommy Dee first reported the deal, which will be completed when the moratorium is lifted on Thursday.

Lee will make $15.5 million in the final year of his contract, roughly $5.4 million more than Wallace will before his deal also expires in July 2016.

Lee, 31, is just two years removed from his second All-Star appearance. He averaged 7.9 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists in just 18.4 minutes on a loaded Golden State team this past season. For his career, he has produced 14.7 points, 9.5 boards and 2.3 assists in 31.5 minutes a night over 10 seasons.

Wallace, 32, was respected in the locker room despite averaging 8.9 minutes in 2014-15, earning the nickname “Uncle Gerald” from his young C’s teammates. The Warriors are expected to cut Wallace and stretch his $10.1 million contract over three seasons, saving an estimated $12.2 million in salary and the resulting luxury tax penalty.

Meanwhile, the Celtics add another defensive liability to a frontcourt replete with power forwards. Lee has dealt with back and hamstring injuries that cost him 33 games and his starting job in 2014-15. Still, his history when healthy suggests he could be the C’s best scorer and rebounder in the post, as his field goal percentage at the rim (63.7) and rebounding percentage (15.7) both bested Jared Sullinger’s numbers this past year (60.6 and 15.4).

There is some question as to how Lee fits into Brad Stevens‘ system, as he does not stretch the floor offensively or shrink it defensively. Don’t rule out his inclusion in a trade closer to the deadline, when his expiring $15.5 million deal will be more attractive to teams in need of salary cap relief entering the highly anticipated summer of 2016.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report:  David Lee Traded By GSW TO BOSTON CELTICS Empty Re: Report: David Lee Traded By GSW TO BOSTON CELTICS

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 pm

The word is Gerald Wallace is heading west for David Lee.

Straight up, this deal fails the NBA Trade Machine.

So, there must be more to it.

More to come...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report:  David Lee Traded By GSW TO BOSTON CELTICS Empty Re: Report: David Lee Traded By GSW TO BOSTON CELTICS

Post by rambone Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:10 pm

I don't know enough about trade exceptions to know if the Wallace for Lee could work

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:12 pm

BOSTON (CBS) — The Boston Celtics — and Trader Danny — are active.
According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Celtics have acquired David Lee from Golden State in a trade.

Acquiring Lee will only cost Gerald Wallace, according to Stein.

The 32-year-old Lee will likely fill a void in the Celtics frontcourt. The 6-foot-9 Lee averaged just 18.4 minutes per game last year, down from 33.2 the year prior. In his 10-year career with the Knicks and Warriors, he’s averaged 14.7 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.

Wallace, who turned 33 this month, played just 286 total minutes this season, averaging just over one point per game.
The immediate reaction from Celtics point guard Isaiah Thomas was one of approval.

Isaiah Thomas ✔@Isaiah_Thomas
Nice
12:00 PM - 7 Jul 2015
  874 874 Retweets  878 878 favorites

According to USA Today’s Sam Amick, the Celtics will also send a yet-to-be-named player to Golden State to complete the deal.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:19 pm

I would have much rather traded for Roy Hibbert, but Lee should definitely help us out.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:23 pm

From the Warriors' perspective, I'm curious why they'd do it. Both players have contracts that expire after this upcoming season, and while Wallace is $5 million cheaper and would bring some tax relief, Lee proved himself to be a quality player off the bench and would be far better to have than Wallace. Lee's also popular with both teammates and fans.

While Lee remained a positive influence last season despite his move to the bench, he'd like to start, and maybe the Warriors are just trying to honor his wishes and trade him to a team where he can do that.

The thing is, Lee's a power forward. Sully should be nervous.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Lee, Amir Johnson, Sully, Mickey are all power forwards.

back to the future I guess.

what is Dannys' master plan?

I sure have no idea.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Lee, Amir, and Sully can all play some center too at an average level

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Warriors save about 35 million dollars in salary and mostly luxury tax

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:07 pm

No centers available?

Load up on power forwards.

Another good sized wing would be a nice addition next.  I wonder if Danny's looking around for a small forward now?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

GSW can stretch Wallace's contract, which will give them cap relief. For some reason, they couldn't stretch Lee's contract.

Someone unguaranteed is probably going with Wallace to make the numbers work. Pressey or Babb?

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

rambone wrote:Warriors save about 35 million dollars in salary and mostly luxury tax
Wallace is $10.1 million compared to $15.5 million for Lee, which is a $5.4 million difference, which doesn't work on the ESPN trade machine. Golden State doesn't have any trade exceptions to use, so either Boston has to add another player to make the trade work or a third team needs to get involved. But the net result is that the Warriors won't get that full $5.4 million savings.

Golden State will likely make most of their cap savings by waiving Wallace and using the stretch provision to limit his cap hit this year to $3.4 million. That $6.7 million difference between his actual salary and the cap hit, plus any savings they get once a player is thrown in to make the trade work.

I think Lee would work well in Boston, assuming he stays. With all those forwards, it seems like Ainge has to move somebody.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Outside wrote:From the Warriors' perspective, I'm curious why they'd do it. Both players have contracts that expire after this upcoming season, and while Wallace is $5 million cheaper and would bring some tax relief, Lee proved himself to be a quality player off the bench and would be far better to have than Wallace. Lee's also popular with both teammates and fans.

While Lee remained a positive influence last season despite his move to the bench, he'd like to start, and maybe the Warriors are just trying to honor his wishes and trade him to a team where he can do that.

The thing is, Lee's a power forward. Sully should be nervous.

Read that the Warriors can use the stretch provision on Wallace, but couldn't use it on Lee for some reason. Thus, they will be able to free up some cash....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:43 pm

David Lee's 6 year $80m contract was signed under the old CBA.
The only contracts that can be stretched are the ones under the new CBA.
If GS stretches Wallace, this will save them many, many millions of dollars.
This is a good trade for both teams.
Boston receives a much better player who could help them win games.
GS will receive 8 figures of luxury tax savings.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks for the explanation TJ. I agree it is a good trade for both teams. I don't know that much about Lee's game. Can he play center??

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Thanks for the explanation TJ. I agree it is a good trade for both teams. I don't know that much about Lee's game. Can he play center??
He's played some center on a fill-in basis or as part of a small lineup. He played a lot of center in the 2014 playoffs against the Clippers when Bogut was hurt. But power forward is his position.

He should do well in Stevens' offense. He's active, he can drive and cut, and he's a very good passer and facilitator. Give him 25 minutes per game, and you should get good results.

The knock on him in the past has been his defense, but he's actually improved significantly in that area in the past couple of years. He's not great, but he's not the liability at that end that he once was.

He used to be able to shoot well out to 20 feet, but his outside touch has deserted him somewhat the past couple of years. Maybe he can get that back. He doesn't shoot threes.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Goodbye Sully/Kelly
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 pm

I feel like I am missing something. This seems to good of a deal to be true???

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:13 pm

If a big is goine, it is Sully I bet. KO has been here in Waltham working out this summer, we never heard anything about Sully.
What about one of the draft picks?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:I feel like I am missing something. This seems to good of a deal to be true???

Shamrock,

Boston did get much better of a player.
GS doesn't need Lee at the cost of tens of millions of dollars when you add in the luxury tax savings.
David Lee is 32 and on the down side of his career.
He's a good player, but does Brad really want to give much playing time to a 32 year old who will be gone after 1 season?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:31 pm

This a guy I have wanted to see in a Celtics uniform for many (perhaps too many) years. If he can regain his form of two years ago and stay healthy he could definitely help the team, especially in rebounding and put-backs.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:00 pm

maybe I see Danny's master plan now!

GS won the championship with 5 players 6-8 or under playing most of the minutes.

Danny is going the other way, his new starting lineup

PF- Amir Johnson
PF- David Lee
PF- Jared Sullinger
PF- Kelly Olynyk
PF- Marcus Smart (well he is build like Wes Unself anyway).

That Ainge is a GENIUS!!!

NOte: the above drivel is dripping with sarcasm and as such should not be taken seriously...that is all.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:07 pm

GSW won the title without Lee, so clearly there is some benefit for them to part ways with him.

Good pick up by the C's. I also second the notion that Sully is on the move (possibly).

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:29 pm

kdp59 wrote:maybe I see Danny's master plan now!

GS won the championship with 5 players 6-8 or under playing most of the minutes.

Danny is going the other way, his new starting lineup

PF- Amir Johnson
PF- David Lee
PF- Jared Sullinger
PF- Kelly Olynyk
PF- Marcus Smart (well he is build like Wes Unself anyway).

That Ainge is a GENIUS!!!

NOte: the above drivel is dripping with sarcasm and as such should not be taken seriously...that is all.

Lee is probably our best rebounder. Did you think we were all set, rebounding-wise?

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Ok, now that I have a few moments, let's see what we have here.

David Lee is a 2x All-Star, 2010 and 2013.  So, his last all-star appearance was only 2 years ago.  Wallace is a 1x All-Star back in 2010.  My conclusion?  Lee's good times are more recent than Crash's.

David Lee is a World Champion.  While I have nothing but good things to say about Gerald Wallace's maturity and leadership, David Lee has a very, very special kind of experience they can impart to the young'uns.  My conclusion?  It's a toss-up.

Lee is 31.  Wallace is 33.  My conclusion?  Pretty much a toss-up.  Wallace's physical skills are, and have been, in definite decline while Lee never relied upon his athleticism.

Lee is a career 53.3% fg% shooter.  Wallace is a career 46.9% fg% shooter.  My conclusion?  Lee is an upgrade on a team whose fg% last year stunk and badly needed an upgrade.

Lee is a career 77.7% ft% shooter.  Wallace is a career 71% ft% shooter but shot 40% last year.  My conclusion?  I'm just fine with David Lee being in the game at the end if it's clutch time.  No way with Wallace.

Lee is an average defender, up from a crappy defender.  Wallace is a good defender for short periods, down from an elite defender.  My conclusion?  Wallace's defense became very specific and short-lived.  Valuable but not even for rotation minutes in a single game.  Lee's a good help defender, not that great a man-to-man defender.

Lee is a good rebounder.  Wallace is good for his size.  My conclusion?  Lee is an upgrade.

PUSHES:  We still don't have that "defensive presence in the middle".  

I'm sorry to see Wallace go, I have nothing but good thoughts about him.  This is shocking to say considering the trauma his contract put me through back when he was traded here and I typically have trouble with professional basketball players who cannot hit their fritos.  Having said that, this is a good trade for both teams.  James Young, Evan Turner and RJ Hunter have less competition for minutes.  We have some experience at PF now, with Johnson and Lee, and Lee will put the ball in the basket from both mid-range and in close.  He played some center in the playoffs against Mozgov (more than Bogut).  Wallace gets onto a more veteran team that might let him play.  Lee will get a shot at minutes.  Both are good locker room guys and silent soldiers.  Neither of them bitched publicly about their demotions last year.

I'm now expecting either Sully or Kelly to be gone.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's Sully.  He's the one with the conditioning issues.  He's the one whose contract expires next year and, this year at least, he's the one whose specific skill sets (mid-range shooting, rebounding and scoring underneath) have been most fully replaced by David Lee.

Sully + draft picks for WCS?  Sully + Bradley + Young + picks for Cousins?  With 3 centers, the imbalance on their roster is there (not to mention the imbalance between their star player and their coach).  Will Danny take a step back by giving up Sully for Lee if it gets him either of those two? If we get either of those players Danny/Brad will want to keep Kelly to spread the floor for the new center.  Also, Kelly is playing politics better.  He's in SLC, working out with the summer league team even though he isn't playing.  Where's the fat guy with the conditioning problem?

bob
P.S.  It will be interesting to see whether it is Pressey or Babb who goes with Wallace.  Babb's contract is almost certainly going to be terminated, either way.  Pressey's is guaranteed on 7/14.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leeda02.html

Danny never sleeps.  I still don't think it's over.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next