It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil!

+4
bobheckler
sinus007
Shamrock1000
rambone
8 posters

Go down

It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil! Empty It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil!

Post by rambone Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:58 am

That would probably be very good for our Nets pick next year

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13231321/deron-williams-brooklyn-nets-talks-secure-williams-release

Last edited by rambone on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

rambone

Back to top Go down

It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil! Empty Re: It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil!

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

Yup. What about our Dallas pick? In a way, it might be good for that pick as well - means they are not tanking (they keep their pick if its top 7), and I'm not sure Williams will make them much better at this point in his career.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil! Empty Re: It's official, Deron Williams bought out for 27.5 Mil!

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 am

Hi,
That would be sweet: Nets go into and win lottery -> #1, Dallas gets #8 and our own #19 or 20
flower flower flower

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:16 am

Damn you, Danny!!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 am

If this works out where Deron goes to Dallas, it could go either way.
I don't think I need to tell anyone how poorly Deron has played over the last couple of years.
He has significant conditioning issues and is 31 years old.
He is a long way off from being the Utah version of Deron Williams.
Even at the veterans minimum, I would not want him as my teams point guard.
Dallas and Brooklyn could get a little better or a little worse, but I don't think this changes the needle very much for either team.
If Brooklyn felt it would be a big loss on the court, they wouldn't let him walk.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:34 pm

It's official

The Brooklyn Nets and point guard Deron Williams, considered joined at the hip just three years ago in a marriage that announced Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov's determination to spend whatever it took to build a contending team quickly, divorced for good on Friday, with the team and Williams reportedly reaching agreement on a buyout of the remaining two years of his contract. Williams will receive $27.5 million of the $43 million on his remaining on his deal.
The deal allows Williams, once he clears waivers, to sign a deal with his hometown Dallas Mavericks—the team he almost went to in free agency in 2012 before agreeing to stay in Brooklyn on a five-year, $98 million max deal. The Mavericks, spurned earlier in the week at the free agent altar by Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, need a starting point guard after last season's deal to bring in Rajon Rondo exploded in their faces. Rondo clashed with Coach Rick Carlisle and was sent home during the playoffs, never to return.
ESPN.com reported late Thursday that Williams and the Nets had opened buyout talks, and things moved rapidly Friday afternoon to a conclusion.
Williams and the Nets quickly grew tired of one another in the last two seasons. Often injured, Williams rarely recaptured the game that made many believe he was the equal of the Clippers' Chris Paul. The Nets hoped bringing in Jason Kidd to coach the team in 2013 would rejuvenate Williams' career, but by the end of the season Kidd had Williams off the ball frequently, with Shaun Livingston assuming ball-handling duties.
Things didn't get much better last season under new Coach Lionel Hollins. The New York Daily News reported Friday that the two had to be separated from one another during a heated argument last season. Hollins tried to protect Williams publicly, saying he received too much criticism from the New York media. But after the Nets were eliminated by Atlanta in the first round of the playoffs—a series in which Williams shot the ball terribly—Hollins said that Williams was "not a franchise player anymore."
The buyout was evidence of a new reality for Prokhorov, who has been rumored for most of the last year to be looking for a buyer for the team, which he purchased controlling interest of in 2010 from Bruce Ratner. Prokhorov promised to make a big splash immediately; the lifelong bachelor vowed to get married if the Nets weren't in the Finals in five years.
Williams was his team's big play. The guard was considered one of the top two or three players at his position when he became disenchanted with the Utah Jazz, the team that had drafted him with the third pick overall in the 2005 Draft out of the University of Illinois. Williams twice made the All-Star Game in Utah (he added a third appearance with the Nets in 2012), where he led the Jazz to the conference finals in 2007. He was second-team all-NBA in 2008 and 2010.
The Nets acquired Williams in 2011 from the Jazz for Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, first-round picks in 2011 and 2013 and cash. To make sure Williams stayed and didn't leave via free agency in 2012, the Nets traded for Joe Johnson from Atlanta, giving them one of the highest-paid backcourts in NBA history. The following summer, Brooklyn acquired Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett from the Celtics. But their first-round playoff win last year over the Raptors was the Nets only postseason success. Pierce left via free agency for Washington, and Garnett was traded to Minnesota at the trade deadline in February.
Pierce then told ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan just before the start of this season's playoffs that he didn't think Williams could handle playing in New York.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:52 pm

Nets Daily: League source tells NetsDaily that #Nets expect Joe Johnson to have a “tremendous season” for them next year. So no trade for Joe. – via Twitter NetsDaily

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:24 pm

tjmakz wrote:If this works out where Deron goes to Dallas, it could go either way.
I don't think I need to tell anyone how poorly Deron has played over the last couple of years.
He has significant conditioning issues and is 31 years old.
He is a long way off from being the Utah version of Deron Williams.
Even at the veterans minimum, I would not want him as my teams point guard.
Dallas and Brooklyn could get a little better or a little worse, but I don't think this changes the needle very much for either team.
If Brooklyn felt it would be a big loss on the court, they wouldn't let him walk.

careful what you wish for, Deron could easily lead that team to a 1-7 lottery pick for that franchise, he sucks.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:58 pm

The Nets save on tax money and open up some cap space, which is a great move because of the numerous free agents who are going to want to flock to Brooklyn next year.  Fortunately for the Nets, they also have a bridge they can include in any free agent deal...in fact maybe in EVERY free agent deal.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 am

If Deron helps Dallas not be a bottom 7 team, which they could have become when Tyson Chandler left for Phoenix and Jordan reneged, then that helps us.  If he sucks so bad that Brooklyn was happy to part with him, then maybe he won't help Dallas that much either, but all he needs to do is to keep them #8 and up (but not too much higher, please) because their pick is protected @ #7 and lower (higher, in this case, meaning a higher number, not a better pick).  If Dallas ends up with the #8 or #9 pick, that would be perfect.

With the departure of Deron from Brooklyn they are in serious hurt mode.  The chance, even with Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young being re-signed, of them falling so hard they bounce off the bottom is real.  They have no floor general anymore.  Oh, I'm sorry, I somehow managed to forget about Steve Blake (gag).  They are, at this point, a collection of parts.  The Nets pick we own this coming draft has NO protections on it.  If they go into freefall we win.  Period.  If they end up with a top 5 pick, then that and the Dallas pick (if TJ is correct and Deron hasn't much left and that's why Brooklyn was willing to let him go) might move us up into drafting stratosphere we haven't been in since, I don't know.  #5 in 2007 helped us get Ray Allen.  If we have a #5 from Brooklyn AND a decent lottery pick from Dallas that could get us into top 3, which would make Cowens, kdp and rambone start wriggling like a litter of happy puppies.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Bob,

I like the expression, "collection of parts."  The complete antithesis of a synchronized team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Hopefully rooting against the Nets and Mavs will sap most/all of the energy from the pro-tankers.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Super hope, Rambone.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 pm

Eric Pincus: Deron Williams is stretched at $5,474,787 mil over each of the next five years with the Brooklyn Nets @BBallInsiders – via Twitter EricPincus

bob
MY NOTE:  Ouch!!  That's a FULL mid-level exemption's worth of player they won't be able to sign.  2016 and 2018 are looking good...for us.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:28 pm

I think that d will will help the mavs more than rondo.

They also signed that SG out of Portland (his name slips me) but he was injured last year. They will have a brand new/old starting backcourt.

Dallas.. even without Chandler should still be a competitive team but not very competitive.

Dirty Dirk will soon qualify as a genuine European Tourist Attraction

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:50 am

What makes you feel that way about Dirk, dboss?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down