Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor

2 posters

Go down

Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor Empty Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:33 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-rookie-rj-hunter-progressing-at-both-ends

Celtics rookie Hunter progressing at both ends of floor
July 10, 2015, 10:30 am

SALT LAKE CITY – R.J. Hunter isn’t all that different than most rookies coming into the NBA.

He’s here in large part because of his ability to score, a need the Celtics believed they addressed in selecting him with the 28th overall pick in last month’s NBA draft.

Still, Hunter has found out the hard way that no matter how defenseless your shooting may leave opponents, you don’t get on the floor until you show you can defend.

Hunter admits it has been a bit of an adjustment.

And while he still has plenty of room for improvement, the 6-foot-6 guard showed tangible progress in an 85-71 summer league victory over the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday night.

After having missed every shot taken in the first two games, Hunter got hot on Thursday and didn’t cool off before finishing with 18 points, which included a perfect 4-for-4 night from 3-point range.

“I just needed to see [the ball] go through one time, just one good time anyway; free throw, floater, anything,” Hunter said.

What has stood out about Hunter’s game prior to Thursday – besides him missing all eight of his shot attempts in the first two games – has been his effort defensively.

By no means is he on track to defend at the level of a Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley.

But after three summer league games, Hunter has shown no signs of being in awe of his opposition nor has he been noticeably overwhelmed in having to guard bigger, stronger, more athletic players.

Because of that, it gives him a shot at seeing action on the floor.

But it wasn’t until the breakout game Thursday that he had he shown the ability to strike that ideal balance between playing good enough defense to stay in the game, while doing what essentially got him to the NBA – making shots.

Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga who coached the summer league team in Salt Lake City, was among those pleased to see Hunter knock down a few shots, which helped contribute to Boston making 12 of its 20 3-point attempts against San Antonio.

Like Hunter, he too wants to see the rookie continue to progress defensively.

As far as the shot-making?

“He always had that in him,” Larranaga said. “It’s an adjustment; the level of athleticism, the level of intensity, fighting for jobs, fighting for opportunities. There’s an adjustment period for all our guys.”

Hunter understands this all too well, which is why he anticipated there would be a series of highs and lows this summer.

And while he certainly can be an impact performer when he’s making shots, Hunter’s ability to be a steady defender – not necessarily a great one, mind you – is the best path for him to see playing time as a rookie.

“It’s the only thing I can control,” Hunter said. “I can’t control making shots. I can’t control how I play on the offensive end, but defense is all mental and all toughness.”

bob
MY NOTE: Best part of the whole piece - And while he certainly can be an impact performer when he’s making shots, Hunter’s ability to be a steady defender – not necessarily a great one, mind you – is the best path for him to see playing time as a rookie.

“It’s the only thing I can control,” Hunter said. “I can’t control making shots. I can’t control how I play on the offensive end, but defense is all mental and all toughness.”

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor Empty Re: Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor

Post by Sam Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:42 am

Great attitude.  And the block he made, on which the ball basically never left the shooter's hand, was something to behold.  If that had been his only good defensive play over the three games, it might have been an anomaly.  However, he has made a number of them.

I'm finding it relatively easy to feel good about Mickey and Hunter because each of them has displayed the potential to have impact specialties—Mickey despite having the added challenge of playing out of position.  Rozier is more of an acquire taste, but I do actually see signs of Isaiah Thomas in him.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor Empty Re: Celtic Rookie Hunter Progressing At Both Ends Of The Floor

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:58 am

sam wrote:Great attitude.  And the block he made, on which the ball basically never left the shooter's hand, was something to behold.  If that had been his only good defensive play over the three games, it might have been an anomaly.  However, he has made a number of them.

I'm finding it relatively easy to feel good about Mickey and Hunter because each of them has displayed the potential to have impact specialties—Mickey despite having the added challenge of playing out of position.  Rozier is more of an acquire taste, but I do actually see signs of Isaiah Thomas in him.

Sam

sam,

When I look at Rozier I see a better defending Kevin Johnson, formerly of Phoenix and now the Mayor of Sacramento.  Johnson had a deadly mid-range shot, which Rozier might not have, yet, but both of them have/had killer crossovers that got them into the lane.  Can Rozier finish like Johnson did?  We'll have to wait and see, especially against real competition and not summer league bubble players, but I honestly believe, right now, that his crossover dribble will work in the NBA.  It is that quick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:17 pm

Bob,

As I've posted before, on a preliminary basis, Rozier looks to me like a somewhat taller clone of Isaiah Thomas, especially when he takes the ball to the hoop.  While he may not be a defensive wizard, I believe he's better than Isaiah in that respect.  But, in general, I'm still trying to figure out what's real and what's not about Terry.  And I'm not at all sure whether he has the genes to be either a Celtics recruiter or a mayor.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down