Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers

4 posters

Go down

Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers Empty Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:47 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/jonathan-holmes-surprises-among-boston-celtics-summer-leaguers?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers
July 15, 2015, 4:30 pm

Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers Byline-blakely-cdc

Jonathan Holmes was not one of the hot names to watch on the Celtics' summer league roster.

But after six games, the past four resulting in Celtics victories, his play has drawn the attention of both the Celtics and other NBA teams.

And that has created yet another roster consideration for the Celtics, who already have too many players, the kind of problem most teams would like to have.

The undrafted free agent out of the University of Texas has been among the more pleasant surprises on the Celtics’ summer league team.

He is coming off a 14-point, five-rebound, two-steal performance in a 101-69 blowout win against Miami on Tuesday.

In six summer league games (five starts), Holmes has averaged 10.5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game, while shooting 45.4 percent from 3-point range.

Holmes has been even better against better competition in Las Vegas.

In the three summer league games in Las Vegas, Holmes ranks second on the team in scoring (14.7 points), rebounds (7.3) and blocked shots per game while leading all Celtics by shooting 54.5 percent on 3s.

“I feel pretty comfortable right now,” Holmes told CSNNE.com. “I’m just trying to be consistent; just show that I can be a stretch four and bring energy every day.”

Players such as Holmes are getting a much closer look at being added to the mix of teams in part because of the success experienced by Golden State’s Draymond Green who was instrumental in the Warriors’ run towards an NBA title.

While there were a number of teams that liked Holmes’ talent leading up to the draft, his inconsistent play was a key factor in teams saying "thanks but no thanks" to drafting him.

But so far in Las Vegas, he has shown the ability to play both ends of the floor with the kind of consistency that the Celtics are looking for.

However, it’ll take more than that for him to make the Celtics roster, which still seems a long shot even after they waived Phil Pressey.

Boston has a frontcourt that includes Kelly Olynyk, Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller, along with the team re-signing Jonas Jerebko and adding Amir Johnson via free agency.

Throw in the probable signing of second-round pick Jordan Mickey and adding David Lee via trade from Golden State, and there just doesn’t seem to be any room for Holmes despite how well he has played, on the team’s roster.

Of course that’s Holmes’ ultimate goal – to get a training camp invite and hopefully play his way on to an active roster spot.

But self-improvement he says, takes precedence.

“Right now, I’m just trying to get better, learn the game more,” Holmes said. “Be consistent.”

bob
MY NOTE:  One of his best decisions, so far, was to join the Celtics summer league team.  Not only are our coaches very player-development oriented, but with Trader Danny pulling the strings in the back room you never know what openings might open up.  Your job, Jonathon, is to force the coaching staff and management into making a decision they didn't think they were going to have to make.  So far, so good.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers Empty Re: Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers

Post by dboss Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Holmes has played well but despite his SUMMER league play he is fighting an uphill battle against the odds. With an abundance of 4's already in place perhaps he ncan catch on with some other team and proceed to light us up during the regular season.

'Life is like a basketball...you never know how high or low it will bounce" Quote dboss 7/15

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers Empty Re: Holmes a surprise among Celtics Summer Leaguers

Post by rambone Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 pm

He's 6'9", 240+ lbs, and his standing reach is 6'11.5". Average NBA PF standing reach is 6'10.5".

As such, he'll be able to play center in small ball lineups, SF in big lineups, and PF in any lineup.

As Sully and Zeller approach free agency, and KO enters year 3 of his 4 year rookie contract, having a quality big like Holmes on the roster can help them resist paying 10+ million per year to one of those guys, while we still pursue stars.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:35 pm

rambone wrote:He's 6'9", 240+ lbs, and his standing reach is 6'11.5". Average NBA PF standing reach is 6'10.5".

As such, he'll be able to play center in small ball lineups, SF in big lineups, and PF in any lineup.

As Sully and Zeller approach free agency, and KO enters year 3 of his 4 year rookie contract, having a quality big like Holmes on the roster can help them resist paying 10+ million per year to one of those guys, while we still pursue stars.

rambone,

His wingspan is 6'11.5", not his standing reach. His standing reach is 8'11.5".

draftexpress had him projected to be picked #24. He went all the way to the end without getting drafted.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Yeah, I meant to write 8'11.5". Thanks. KO's standing reach is 9' even, Jordan Mickey's is 8'10" I believe

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:53 pm

PJ3 has a major pre-season battle on his hands for making the final roster. That trade with OKC also netted a Detroit 2nd rounder in '19, along with cash. People do a lot of things for cash, including trades like this.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:27 am

Holmes looks sufficiently multi-talented that I'm afraid it won't be possible for the Celts to stash him if he doesn't make the final roster. Fair may be in the same situation; but I'll feel worse about Holmes because I believe he's got the right game and body type to make a pretty good pro with a little experience.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down