If This Is It

4 posters

Go down

If This Is It Empty If This Is It

Post by rambone Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:54 pm

There's probably a trade or two coming, but I just figured I'd take a stab at how minutes might work out with this group.

One way to make a player or two happy with less minutes is to put them in the starting lineup. I'm thinking of Avery Bradley. 20 mpg is a lot easier to swallow if you get the glory of starting.

Danny Ainge made an interesting comment the other day about his unbalanced roster. He said, "maybe you have to play your shortstop at second base". I took that to mean that Danny might/will play a guard at SF, or play a PF at SF often.

Rozier
Bradley
Smart
Amir
KO

I suspect we're going to see at least one stretch big on the floor at most/all times. Part of the reason the starting offense was a weakness last year was not having a 3 point shooting big. KO led the team in +/- last year, and the second unit's offense was among the top strengths of this team, along with the defense of the starting backcourt in Bradley and Smart.

This starting unit above would put Bradley on the point guard defensively, with Rozier, Smart, Amir, and KO playing aggressive, ball hawking defense. Much like the Heat a few years ago when they would lead the league in forced turnovers and fast break points. The Heat didn't have a rim protector either, so they played a gambling high pressure defense that allowed them to dictate a faster pace and play to their advantages.

Danny conspicuously declined to add a big center, even when Hibbert and others like Koufos were available. The plan is to win without a Hibbert-type giant, and we already know Brad Stevens likes pace and space.

Smart at SF is undersized vertically, but from a strength standpoint he's basically average, and I think his defense overall at SF will be average, by playing the passing lanes making SFs afraid to dribble the ball.

Having Amir in between Smart and KO helps cover their flaws defensively at those positions, but don't forget that KO has a real knack for getting steals, and he actually would work out pretty well in this high pressure, gambling defense.

Offensively, Amir would have the paint to himself, and with a solid mid-range jumper, Amir could step out and allow Rozier and Smart to attack the rim to create havoc and offense. And every lineup with Olynyk in it seems to thrive offensively, so he would really help with his floor stretching, passing, and ability to dribble drive when attacking closeouts from the 3pt line.

IT4, Crowder, Zeller, and David Lee are top subs. Mickey, Hunter, and Sully as depth.

Young, Holmes, Turner round out roster.

PJ3 tough cut in preseason, and Thornton to Europe.

Who am I missing?

rambone

Back to top Go down

If This Is It Empty Re: If This Is It

Post by Sam Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Rambone,

Don't mean to knock heads all day long, but maybe we've been watching different Olynyks.   "Aggressive, ball hawking defense?"  I could come up with a lot of descriptions for Kelly's defense, but neither of those terms would be included.  More likely, I'd include "reach-in," "awkward," "reactive," "late," and possibly even "turnstyle."

Perhaps Olynyk's offensive versatility might intrigue Brad enough to make Kelly a stretch 5 despite his defensive deficiencies.  He's certainly the best-shooting big from distance, which has to intrigue Brad.  However, given the lineup you proposed, I'd hope that spacing would be provided more by Bradley and Amir, with Lee getting the start down low as the center.

It'll be interesting—come October—to see what the roster looks like, when we conjecture about playing combinations, vs. the roster as now tentatively comprised.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Sam, Olynyk was something like third among centers in steals per game, while averaging less minutes than any of them. Something like one steal per game in 22 minutes. He also draws a lot of charges and offensive fouls.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:20 pm

rambone wrote:Sam, Olynyk was something like third among centers in steals per game, while averaging less minutes than any of them. Something like one steal per game in 22 minutes. He also draws a lot of charges and offensive fouls.

sam and rambone,

League leaders - steals/game, centers

1.  Nerlens Noel, 1.8/game, 30.8mpg, 2.1 blocks/36mpg
2.  DeMarcus Cousins, 1.5/game, 34.1mpg, 1.58 blocks/36mpg
3.  Zaza Pachulia, 1.1/game, 23.7mpg, 1.67 blocks/36mpg
4.  Kelly Olynyk, 1.0/game, 22.2mpg, 1.62 blocks/36mpg
5.  Gorgui Dieng, 1.0/game, 30mpg, 1.32 blocks/36mpg

Rankings, adjusted to 36mpg:

1.  Nerlens Noel
2.  Zaza Pachulia
3.  Kelly Olynyk
4.  DeMarcus Cousins
5.  Gorgui Dieng

source:  http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/

League Leaders - Charges Taken, centers

1.  DeMarcus Cousins - 34, 2013 mp, 16.9/100mp
2.  Aron Baynes - 18, 1122 mp, 16.0/100mp
3.  Pero Antic - 12, 1037 mp, 11.6/100mp
4.  Tyler Zeller - 11, 1731 mp, 6.3/100mp
5.  Gorgui Dieng - 9, 2193 mp, 4.1/100mp
6.  Joachim Noah - 7, 2049 mp, 3.4/100mp
7.  Marc Gasol - 7, 2687 mp, 2.6/100mp
8.  Roy Hibbert - 7, 1926 mp, 3.6/100mp
9.  Tyson Chandler - 7, 2286 mp, 3.1/100mp
10.  Kelly Olynyk - 6, 1423 mp, 4.2/100mp

Rankings, Charges Taken/100 minutes played

1.  DeMarcus Cousins
2.  Aron Baynes
3.  Pero Antic
4.  Tyler Zeller
5.  Kelly Olynyk

Sources:  http://hoopsmanifesto.com/articles/nba-stats/nba-charges-drawn-total-201415.html and basketball-reference.com

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Here's some more.  Not about defense, but about productive possessions.

Rankings, assists/Turnover (a/TO), minimum 20mpg, /36mpg

1.  Joachim Noah - 2.54 a/TO, 30.6mpg, 2.99 /36mpg
2.  Al Horford - 2.44 a/TO, 30.5mpg, 2.88 /36mpg
3.  Boris Diaw - 1.85 a/TO, 24.5mpg, 2.72 /36mpg
4.  Andrew Bogut - 1.7 a/TO, 23.6mpg, 2.59 /36mpg
5.  Tyler Zeller - 1.49 a/TO, 21.1mpg, 2.54 /36mpg
6.  Zaza Pachulia - 1.34 a/TO, 23.7mpg, 2.04 /36mpg
7.  Al Jefferson - 1.66 a/TO, 30.6mpg, 1.95 /36mpg
8.  Marc Gasol - 1.74 a/TO, 33.2mpg, 1.89 /36mpg
9.  Kelly Olynyk - 1.11 a/TO, 22.3mpg, 1.79 /36mpg
10. Gorgui Dieng - 1.16 a/TO, 30mpg, 1.39 /36mpg

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/turnovers/sort/assistTurnoverRatio/qualified/false/position/centers

Considering that the only players on this list that aren't 30 years + are Horford (29), Dieng (25), Tyler Zeller (25), Kelly (24) and Kelly is the youngest I'd say both Kelly and Zeller are looking better.  Young, going to get better under Brad and already in the league's top 10 in assists/TO for centers.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:31 pm

rambone wrote:

There's probably a trade or two coming, but I just figured I'd take a stab at how minutes might work out with this group.

One way to make a player or two happy with less minutes is to put them in the starting lineup. I'm thinking of Avery Bradley. 20 mpg is a lot easier to swallow if you get the glory of starting.

Danny Ainge made an interesting comment the other day about his unbalanced roster. He said, "maybe you have to play your shortstop at second base". I took that to mean that Danny might/will play a guard at SF, or play a PF at SF often.

Rozier
Bradley
Smart
Amir
KO

I suspect we're going to see at least one stretch big on the floor at most/all times. Part of the reason the starting offense was a weakness last year was not having a 3 point shooting big. KO led the team in +/- last year, and the second unit's offense was among the top strengths of this team, along with the defense of the starting backcourt in Bradley and Smart.

This starting unit above would put Bradley on the point guard defensively, with Rozier, Smart, Amir, and KO playing aggressive, ball hawking defense. Much like the Heat a few years ago when they would lead the league in forced turnovers and fast break points. The Heat didn't have a rim protector either, so they played a gambling high pressure defense that allowed them to dictate a faster pace and play to their advantages.

Danny conspicuously declined to add a big center, even when Hibbert and others like Koufos were available. The plan is to win without a Hibbert-type giant, and we already know Brad Stevens likes pace and space.

Smart at SF is undersized vertically, but from a strength standpoint he's basically average, and I think his defense overall at SF will be average, by playing the passing lanes making SFs afraid to dribble the ball.

Having Amir in between Smart and KO helps cover their flaws defensively at those positions, but don't forget that KO has a real knack for getting steals, and he actually would work out pretty well in this high pressure, gambling defense.

Offensively, Amir would have the paint to himself, and with a solid mid-range jumper, Amir could step out and allow Rozier and Smart to attack the rim to create havoc and offense. And every lineup with Olynyk in it seems to thrive offensively, so he would really help with his floor stretching, passing, and ability to dribble drive when attacking closeouts from the 3pt line.

IT4, Crowder, Zeller, and David Lee are top subs. Mickey, Hunter, and Sully as depth.

Who am I missing?

Rambone

That lineup presumably has Smart at the SF position.  You are aware that Smart is only 6' 4"  and SF now a days are significantly taller than Smart.  In think that he would have great difficulty defending the 3 spot except in situations where he was merely rotating over to check them.

Amir is a stretch 4 and KO cannot play in the post.  Do you think this lineup can win without some form of a low post presence to bring some balance to the force?

I see that Zeller is not in the starting lineup and neither is Lee or Sully.  All of them I think would be a better option than KO.

I think the biggest problem with that lineup is size.  There is no solid  rebounder rebounder among that group.

So her is my opening Day lineup barring injuries

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Johnson
Zeller

and backups of

Thomas
Hunter
Jones
Sullinger
Lee

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 pm

dboss wrote:
rambone wrote:

Rozier
Bradley
Smart
Amir
KO

Who am I missing?

Rambone

That lineup presumably has Smart at the SF position.  You are aware that Smart is only 6' 4"  and SF now a days are significantly taller than Smart.  In think that he would have great difficulty defending the 3 spot except in situations where he was merely rotating over to check them.

Amir is a stretch 4 and KO cannot play in the post.  Do you think this lineup can win without some form of a low post presence to bring some balance to the force?

I see that Zeller is not in the starting lineup and neither is Lee or Sully.  All of them I think would be a better option than KO.

I think the biggest problem with that lineup is size.  There is no solid  rebounder rebounder among that group.

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Johnson
Zeller

and backups of

Thomas
Hunter
Jones
Sullinger
Lee

dboss

dboss,

Here's Amir Johnson's stats on where he shoots from 82games.com. 83% of his shots are 'inside'

Shot selection
Shot-----Att.-----eFG%-----Ast'd-----Blk'd-----Pts
Jump----17%----.667-------50%-----0%-------0.1
Close----56%----.800-------63%-----10%------0.5
Dunk------6%---1.000-----100%------0%-------0.1
Tips------22%----.500--------0%------0%-------0.1
Inside----83%----.733-------55%------7%-------0.7

Here's Amir Johnson's shot chart.  I wouldn't call him a stretch 4.

If This Is It WNcWQCG+RUZYgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 pm

dboss, I think the biggest reason KO led the team in +/-, and just about every single lineup he was in playing + basketball, is because he spreads the floor from the 5 spot. He doesn't really have to do anything else, not even score, to have a profound impact on the guys around him.

An open lane is pretty much always preferable to having a big clog it up, even if they are great post scorers (with minimal exceptions).

Part of the reason Rozier wasn't rated higher by the mock drafts is because the lane was always clogged up with bigs like Montrezl Harrell who couldn't really stretch the floor.

And the most underrated reason IT4 had such tremendous success in Boston was because he played with KO at center so much. IT4 and Rozier can pretty much beat their man at will and get into the paint, but if a rim protector is sitting right there, it doesn't matter much.

Take a look at IT4's highlights, and a lot of his successful drives happened when the paint wasn't cluttered with big guys.

A rim protector helps erase or otherwise compensate for the perimeter defenders. When the team's two best rim protectors are guarding good jump shooting bigs far away from the hoop, they can't protect the rim.

If Chris Bosh hadn't been so effective in drawing opposing centers away from the hoop, LeBron and Wade would have had significantly less success scoring at the basket for 5 straight years, or however long the Heatles were together.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 pm

rambone wrote:dboss, I think the biggest reason KO led the team in +/-, and just about every single lineup he was in playing + basketball, is because he spreads the floor from the 5 spot. He doesn't really have to do anything else, not even score, to have a profound impact on the guys around him.

An open lane is pretty much always preferable to having a big clog it up, even if they are great post scorers (with minimal exceptions).

Part of the reason Rozier wasn't rated higher by the mock drafts is because the lane was always clogged up with bigs like Montrezl Harrell who couldn't really stretch the floor.

And the most underrated reason IT4 had such tremendous success in Boston was because he played with KO at center so much. IT4 and Rozier can pretty much beat their man at will and get into the paint, but if a rim protector is sitting right there, it doesn't matter much.

Take a look at IT4's highlights, and a lot of his successful drives happened when the paint wasn't cluttered with big guys.

A rim protector helps erase or otherwise compensate for the perimeter defenders. When the team's two best rim protectors are guarding good jump shooting bigs far away from the hoop, they can't protect the rim.

If Chris Bosh hadn't been so effective in drawing opposing centers away from the hoop, LeBron and Wade would have had significantly less success scoring at the basket for 5 straight years, or however long the Heatles were together.

rambone,

LeBron had Mozgov and Tristan Thompson clogging up the paint and he seemed to do just fine. The difference maker is LeBron. Everybody else is there to just try and stop the opponents from double and triple teaming him. That can happen by being a low post threat or an outside threat. As long as they're a player you cannot leave alone in their comfort zone, that's all LeBron needs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:01 am

dboss wrote:
rambone wrote:

Rozier
Bradley
Smart
Amir
KO

Who am I missing?

Rambone

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Johnson
Zeller

and backups of

Thomas
Hunter
Jones
Sullinger
Lee

dboss

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right or close to right on the starting line up. Probably Avery, Smart, probably Turner, Probably Amir, and then Lee, Zeller, Sully, and KO will be battling for the last big starting position.

Turner can keep getting better, and he's also coming into a contract year.

And Bradley is probably going to show up with some new skill, like improved drives to the hoop and floaters.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum