ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series'

2 posters

Go down

ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series' Empty ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series'

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:37 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/08/espn_insider_boston_celtics_a.html#incart_story_package

ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series'

ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series' Perry-jones-david-lee-amir-johnson-jae-crowder-jonas-jerebko-23c87ebe4cf56730
Boston Celtics basketball players, from left, Perry Jones, David Lee, Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, and Jonas Jerebko, display team jerseys during a news conference at the NBA team's training facility Monday, July 27, 2015, in Waltham, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on August 06, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Can the Boston Celtics win a playoff series during the coming season? ESPN Insider Kevin Pelton gives them a chance, slotting the Celtics as one of six teams likely to make the Eastern Conference postseason behind the Cleveland Cavaliers:

Consider the Celtics a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series. Boston had the East's second-best record (20-11, .645) and fourth-best point differential (plus-2.9 PPG) after acquiring Isaiah Thomas at the trade deadline. While the Celtics didn't land a star this summer, the addition of veteran Amir Johnson strengthens their biggest weakness, interior defense.

A few thoughts:

1. While there's a chance bringing back most of the crew sparks additional growth, what if Boston fails to find the same synergy? What if acquiring Johnson and David Lee pushes Brad Stevens to use more traditional lineups, and all the small-ball success becomes a batch of hazy memories? Stevens deserves the fan base's faith right now, certainly, but there's no promise his team can maximize its potential again. The Celtics uncovered a style that worked with Thomas, Jae Crowder and Jonas Jerebko coming off the bench, but new seasons bring new challenges.

2. As previously stated, there's a chance the Celtics can build on last season's success. With a bit of roster continuity, Stevens has the full offseason to tinker with what worked last season and find ways to incorporate the new additions. The team's crop of young contributors should theoretically improve and Johnson, at least, should help a lot. He's a plus defender at a spot where Boston badly needed one.

3. If the Celtics can sustain their post-trade deadline record throughout a full season, that would leave them with about 53 wins. Is that realistic? Probably not, especially considering the Eastern Conference could (and probably should) improve. The Cavaliers remain the conference's only championship threat, but several teams closer to the bottom added helpful pieces. If Miami, Charlotte, Detroit and Indiana all take steps forward, the East won't be quite as bad and the Celtics will have a more difficult path.

bob
MY NOTE: I opined on some other thread that I thought we had a shot at 48 wins and maybe the #5 slot. I'm having trouble seeing how we could get to #4 and the playoff home court series. I'm still amazed when I look at this picture and see SF Perry Jones III taller than 3 legit PFs. The camp battle for SF will be interesting this year.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series' Empty Re: ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics 'a sleeper to claim home-court advantage and/or win a playoff series'

Post by Sam Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:18 pm

By this September, the Celts should be on pace to win the championship. And without playing a game. Or having a final roster. And assuming, of course, that all of the other teams stand pat with their current squads. Yup, I can sniff #18 now.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down