An Impromptu Board Meeting

+2
bobc33
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

An Impromptu Board Meeting Empty An Impromptu Board Meeting

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 am

So, I'm alerted yesterday, via email, that I have a message waiting for me at Sam's Celtic Forum.  It's from tjmakz.  He's going to be in San Francisco for a mini-convention and wanted to know if I wanted to meet for a drink last night. It took me about a nanosecond to say yes and propose meeting at his hotel bar.

We talked about basketball, of course, and other things.  His opinions were pretty much spot-on. We talked about the state of the Lakers, the state of the Celtics, where the league is going and about specific players. His knowledge of specific, non-Laker or Celtic players was impressive. He's a hoop-junkie who just happens to wear purple-and-gold to draft night at Madison Square Garden on draft night. He told me a funny story about a journalist who attended the draft that night. I'll let him tell you the story.

One of the great things about being involved with this board, and its conviviality, is that when the opportunity to meet another board member arises it feels like an enhancing experience rather than a daunting one.  At Boston dot.com there was so much hostility, even between Celtic fan posters, the idea of meeting one of them in person was not appealing.  This board is the exact opposite.  Because we talk hoop, and a little bit about life, and leave the antagonism and drama out we can take the relationships that start here to another level offline.

We hung out and talked until living on east coast time and his early morning schedule brought the evening to an end.  It's TJ's first time in SF and he's booked solid with business, except for the sliver of time that was open to him last night, which he chose to allot to me.  I'm looking forward to the next time he comes into town with more time so I can show him around proper.

See you again, TJ.

An Impromptu Board Meeting <a href=An Impromptu Board Meeting Img_1410" />

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

An Impromptu Board Meeting Empty Re: An Impromptu Board Meeting

Post by bobc33 Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:41 am

There are so many good things about this Forum, but to me the best is having the opportunity to meet in person those we engage with online.

Glad you two got to hang out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:34 pm

To give Boston.com its due, quite a number of our current members came to know one another (at lease cyberly) on that forum. I like to think of it as the cream rising to the top and transferring to this board when it became available. I'm proud to say that my wife and I have met many members of this forum, and we're constantly struck by the fact that every one of them is not just a hoop junkie but a quality person. We are definitely blessed. Glad you two were able to get together, Bob and TJ. I'm jealous (and the venue doesn't make me any less jealous).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm

TJ has impressed me almost from his first posting. He obviously is a Laker fan, but his knowledge of the Celtics is terrific. What a good way to share your visit with us. TJ, I will never forget your kindness to me and, of course, Bob is my buddy! He took over when Jeb, the sweetest guy on line with us, left us too early.

Enjoy these visits, you will look back one day and say, gee, that was a great time.

Finally home, trying to take it slow so I can take a vacation in October. This was a long haul, but, here I am, you couldn't get rid of me !!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:33 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:
This was a long haul, but, here I am, you couldn't get rid of me !!

we'd never want to darling,,

Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:55 am

bobheckler wrote:So, I'm alerted yesterday, via email, that I have a message waiting for me at Sam's Celtic Forum.  It's from tjmakz.  He's going to be in San Francisco for a mini-convention and wanted to know if I wanted to meet for a drink last night.  It took me about a nanosecond to say yes and propose meeting at his hotel bar.

We talked about basketball, of course, and other things.  His opinions were pretty much spot-on.  We talked about the state of the Lakers, the state of the Celtics, where the league is going and about specific players.  His knowledge of specific, non-Laker or Celtic players was impressive.  He's a hoop-junkie who just happens to wear purple-and-gold to draft night at Madison Square Garden on draft night.  He told me a funny story about a journalist who attended the draft that night.  I'll let him tell you the story.

One of the great things about being involved with this board, and its conviviality, is that when the opportunity to meet another board member arises it feels like an enhancing experience rather than a daunting one.  At Boston dot.com there was so much hostility, even between Celtic fan posters, the idea of meeting one of them in person was not appealing.  This board is the exact opposite.  Because we talk hoop, and a little bit about life, and leave the antagonism and drama out we can take the relationships that start here to another level offline.

We hung out and talked until living on east coast time and his early morning schedule brought the evening to an end.  It's TJ's first time in SF and he's booked solid with business, except for the sliver of time that was open to him last night, which he chose to allot to me.  I'm looking forward to the next time he comes into town with more time so I can show him around proper.

See you again, TJ.

An Impromptu Board Meeting <a href=An Impromptu Board Meeting Img_1410" />

bob

bob,

I am sorry for just responding now. It has been a crazy week going from Tampa to SF and back for less than 3 days...

Thanks for coming to SF to meet me. I am very happy that I finally met you.
After reading your opinions and seeing your style in print, it was fun to hear you actually talk about basketball and life.

I do appreciate that you and others have welcomed me onto this board and want to know my opinions, even if they come from a different starting point.
I have never been able to make it to any of this Forum's meetings, so I really appreciated having my first meeting with you on Monday night.
I think we could have talked for hours more about basketball and life, but I guess that's what friends do.
So, I guess we are officially friends, and you continue to be stuck with me...
You have an interesting life and I hope you continue to live life to the fullest!
Until next time...

TJ
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down