dboss
wide clyde
tjmakz
Matty
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why Bill Russell’s 11 Rings are the Most Overrated Achievement in Basketball - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Bill Russell’s 11 Rings are the Most Overrated Achievement in Basketball

Post by Sam Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Hey, Hawk, do you suppose there might be a move afoot to adorn the Lincoln sculpture on Mount Rushmore with a blond hair piece? (This is not a political statement. It's a joke.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Why Bill Russell’s 11 Rings are the Most Overrated Achievement in Basketball - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Bill Russell’s 11 Rings are the Most Overrated Achievement in Basketball

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Sam, I can see the cartoon! Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 pm

In 1962-63, the Boston Celtics fielded a team with 9 hall of famers.  They were not hall of famers because of their individual talents alone, they were 9 hall of famers because of the success they had playing together.  Great players make those around them better.

You can make all the excuses you want, but money talks and shit walks...and NO ONE has and ever will walk the walk of the Bill Russell led Celtics.

History doesnt not lie - and the haters can come to Boston anytime and I would be happy to show them around the rafters.  

Why Bill Russell’s 11 Rings are the Most Overrated Achievement in Basketball - Page 2 1280px-BostonCelticsChampionshipBanners
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Sam,

Two blonds walk into a bar, the brunette and the redhead both ducked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:31 am

Is there any truth to the fact that the hole between the 1965-66 banner and the 1967-68 exists because Bill Russell asked for a recount after 1967 and the league still can't believe that another team actually beat the Celtics?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 am

Mrkleen,

By the way, the players on that 1962-63 roster won a grand total of 79 NBA championship rings in their careers.  And that doesn't include Red Auerbach's 9 coaching rings:

11 Bill Russell
10 Sam Jones
8 Tom Heinsohn
8 John Havlicek
8 K.C. Jones
8 Tom Sanders
7 Frank Ramsey
7 Jim Loscutoff
6 Bob Cousy
3 Clyde Lovellette
2 Gene Guarilia
1 Dan Schwartz

Bill Russell's Celtics teams were the only teams in any sport about which I ever made predictions, in the form of bets before big home games and a few away games.  I'd bet opponents' fans, $20 to nothing, that the Celtics would win the game.  (No point spreads involved).  I never once lost any of those bets.

History doesn't lie, but people can try to alter history.  I've fought that battle for 46 years in a majority of the United States, overseas, and even on message boards.  I actually believe there are more than a few taxi drivers from far and wide who have sought other occupations because they didn't want to risk getting me in their taxis again. LOL.

Best to the family.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

To be the "greatest" player of a game you have to change the game. It isn't about the rings but those are important. It isn't just about making your team mates better, getting the most out of them on a continuing basis, but that's important too. To be the greatest means doing what no one has done before. Who are the greatest? Babe Ruth, he changed the game no arguing that. He went from being the best left hander of his generation to being the greatest ball player of all time. His personality was even larger than his skill set. He did that while using performance detracting drugs lol Bobby Orr did what no defensive player ever had done before. The game was never the same. Then there is Jim Brown. He didn't just change the game he left the game on his own terms. Little wonder these two men are close. Bill did the same in basketball. He changed the game more than any other player not named Bob Cousy. MJ is always a pleasure to watch but he didn't change anything. Wilt did, but he could never beat the best. I saw Russ play from the beginning. I've seen every player since. He's the best I ever saw and then there is that team thingy.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:43 am

History has shown over and over thru time that the Russell formula works.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2