Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason

3 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason Empty Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/09/rj_hunter_boston_celtics.html#incart_river

Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason

Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason 18667413-mmmain
R.J. Hunter is preparing for Celtics training camp later this month. (AP photo/John Locher)

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on September 01, 2015 at 7:00 PM, updated September 01, 2015 at 7:03 PM

BOSTON -- With training camp less than a month away, R.J. Hunter can feel the basketball season approaching.

The Celtics rookie said he relocated to the Boston area about two-and-a-half weeks ago and has already noticed the excitement. It's not just the tweets, either, which sometimes include photos of fans wearing his jersey. The other day Hunter was riding in a car when a runner on the street recognized him, stopped and shouted at the vehicle, "Go Celtics!"

"I was like, oh, this is nuts," Hunter said Tuesday at the Greater Boston Food Bank, where he and former Celtics forward Leon Powe joined volunteers from TD Bank in preparing donated grocery items for meal distribution. "That's when I knew it was getting real."

It will be even realer by the end of September, when the Celtics begin training camp. For now, Hunter said he, the other rookies and a few veterans, including Amir Johnson, Tyler Zeller and Isaiah Thomas, have been preparing for the season at the Celtics practice facility. Already, the coaching staff is filling Hunter and his teammates with knowledge.

"So far it's been a lot since I've been here," said the first-round pick. "I'm a new guy so they try to get as much information as possible (in) before camp. But I've been working hard, getting a lot of progress done."

If Hunter lives up to his reputation as a shooter, he could fill a Celtics need. But he understands the roster is packed with depth and knows offense alone -- he's also an impressive passer -- may not be enough to get him on the court. Before earning a role, he will need to prove he can succeed in Brad Stevens' defensive schemes. Working toward that goal, Hunter called defensive improvement a top priority this summer. The 21-year-old said he has worked on his strength and mobility.

"And just reads," he said. "It's a different level (now) and you (can) get exposed at any play. So just being locked in at all times."

With training camp set to arrive late this month, Hunter hopes to learn how he fits into the Celtics puzzle.

"Just finding my niche," he said. "I'm a young guy. It's already a well-rounded team without me. So just finding my niche anywhere I can, finding my way to get on the court and just win games."

Offseason winding down

The other day, Isaiah Thomas tweeted about his summer being over. While that's not technically true, most Celtics start to move back to Boston around this time.

In addition to drill work, those already back have played 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 at the team's facility, according to Hunter. He sounded surprised none of the veterans have hazed him yet. Instead, they have taught him what they can.

"That's huge because I'm just trying to figure this all out," Hunter said. "For them to come in, and they're all helpful. You hear a lot of stories about vets picking on rookies, but they've all taken me in so far. So that's huge for me.

"I just ask advice. Like, 'What have I gotten myself into?' But they just help me out with a lot of the stuff, a lot of defensive stuff."

Though the Georgia State product still hasn't made his NBA debut, he has been struck by the difference in competition. Before finishing out a strong summer league, he opened with two straight rough performances that had him referring to himself as one of the "Trash Brothers."

"I think the talent is the one thing that always just kind of gets me – just how good guys are at this level and how they know what they're doing," Hunter said. "I think that's just cool to be competing with guys who know that they're doing."

Rookies bonding

In what can only be considered a positive sign, Hunter seems to like his fellow Celtics rookies. He said the group has connected quickly because they're "going through the same thing."

"We're all low-key," Hunter said. "So we just chill, play video games, hang out and vibe. And it's real cool."

Soon, there won't be as much time for Madden. Training camp is coming, as Hunter can sense from the rush of tweets and the fans calling out his name.

"It's a feeling you get when basketball season comes around," he said. "I'm starting to feel that."

bob
MY NOTE:  Smart kid (not surprising, he is a coachs' son), focusing on his defense.  His offense will work out just fine, I have NO doubt, but his scrawny, bony little ass is going to get bounced around like the ball itself.

It has been a while since I've felt this excited about rookies.  Part of that is because, while we had the 3 Amigos, our draft picks were so low the talent we were drafting weren't likely to be major contributors.  So that's 5 years or so where summer league meant nothing since there really wasn't any real openings on the roster for them and the ones we drafted weren't destined to impress.  Bradley has worked out at #19 and Sully has worked out even though he was #21, and Kelly is struggling but will find a home somewhere (he'll either take it up a notch here or he'll be traded for someone else we could use) and now there's Smart but that's it.  4 players in 8 years.  The kids we got this year, though, are piquing some interest in me.  Rozier's crossover, which I have mentioned numerous times, impressed the crap out of me, as did his ball-hawking defense.  He also showed he wasn't afraid to take, and hit, the big shot.  RJ's shooting blew my mind.  His range is sick, absolutely sick, and Mickey left me drooling over his shot blocking.  If only he was a few inches taller.  At 21 he's probably done growing although I can always dream, can't I?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason Empty Re: Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason

Post by rambone Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Just found this. Georgia State golf team reacting to RJ Hunter beating Baylor in the NCAA tournament with a 25 footer

Georgia State's golf team lost its mind over upset win vs. Baylor

rambone

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason Empty Re: Boston Celtics rookie RJ Hunter hopes to carve out niche, says he focused on defense this offseason

Post by dboss Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:22 pm

We haven't had a shooter like this since Ray Allen.

RJ is perfect for what this team needs.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:14 pm

rambone wrote:Just found this. Georgia State golf team reacting to RJ Hunter beating Baylor in the NCAA tournament with a 25 footer

Georgia State's golf team lost its mind over upset win vs. Baylor

Not exactly "golf claps"

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:24 pm

dboss wrote:We haven't had a shooter like this since Ray Allen.

RJ is perfect for what this team needs.

Dboss

dboss,

I absolutely agree.  We don't have a dominating big like Howard or Jordan, so we need to create space for them and others and that's where shooting comes in.  And Lordy, Lordy, Lordy can this kid shoot.

My concern is his physique.  He's 6'6", 190# dripping wet.  Most players around 6'6" are at least 10-15# heavier, minimum.  I watched him getting bounced off his cuts a few times in summer league, and that was against summer league talent.  Can he hang out at the 3pt line and force the defenses to "stay home and honest"?  Yeah, and that alone is a big deal, but he's going to get pounded into paste if he tries to cut through the lane or along the baseline and somebody gives him "a bump".

Nevertheless, as I have said before, I was more excited by what I saw this summer league than I have felt in 8 years.  If Hunter focuses on his defense, and he says he is, then he is going to have a long, long career in the NBA.  He has good height and there is always a slot on a roster for a lights-out shooter anywhere outside the locker room.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:32 pm

I think he's tougher than he looks, and he's great at drawing fouls. Most of those "bumps" will lead to 2 free throws, where he shoots 89-90%.

And his finesse is so smooth that he can avoid some of the harder bumps. Looks like he's already great at long floaters off the glass and such.

If Smart gets a shot to play more minutes at SF, which I'm confident he can handle even at his height, that would open up more minutes for Hunter at SG.

And I don't think Smart is any worse a defender at SF than Turner, and maybe even Crowder. Amazingly, Crowder's standing reach is apparently only 1/2" taller than Smart's.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down