Walter McCarty: 'We all have one goal'

Go down

Walter McCarty: 'We all have one goal' Empty Walter McCarty: 'We all have one goal'

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:34 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4720334/walter-mccarty-we-all-have-one-goal

Walter McCarty: 'We all have one goal'
9h

Chris Forsberg, ESPN Staff Writer

Boston Celtics assistant coach Walter McCarty believes that the team has great depth entering the 2015-16 season and thinks it should be a positive for a team looking to build off last season's late-season surge.

"We’re pretty excited," McCarty said last week during an appearance on Sirius XM's Above the Rim on NBA Radio. "There's a lot of pieces, guys that can play prime minutes for us. We have to do a great job with time management, but we’re pretty excited looking down the bench and just having a lot of different options. We think we have a great base with the guys that are returning from how we ended the season last season."

The Celtics didn’t make big waves this offseason, but are set to bring back nine players that were key rotation guys during last season's second-half surge and postseason appearance, while supplementing that core with 1) The offseason addition of veteran big men Amir Johnson and David Lee and 2) Recent draft picks including second-year swingman James Young and rookies Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter and Jordan Mickey.

Boston seems to be a bit overstocked in a frontcourt that adds Johnson and Lee to a returning crew featuring Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, and Tyler Zeller. What's more, Boston often played small last season with the likes of offseason re-signings Jae Crowder and Jonas Jerebko at the power forward position (and Perry Jones will fight for a roster spot as well in camp).

Is it possible that Boston has too much depth up front?

"I think [depth is] a good thing," said McCarty. "Guys are going to have to compete every day and play for their opportunity. ... [Boston's bigs] are very competitive. We all have one goal and [head coach] Brad [Stevens] will do a really good job of divvying up the time and making sure the right person is in at the right time."

McCarty said he believes Stevens will also stress that notion of having one goal at the start of training camp. Boston's depth could leave players grumbling for more floor time, but McCarty believes it could be beneficial for the Celtics if players simply embrace being ready when called upon.

Asked about the addition of Lee, McCarty noted he'll bring veteran leadership and championship experience after winning a title with the Golden State Warriors last season. McCarty also praised Olynyk when asked about his strong play in international competition this month with Canada's national team at the 2015 FIBA Americas championships.

"I’m excited to work with all the bigs that we have," said McCarty. "I think we have a chance to be a special group going forward. I can’t wait to get started."

McCarty also gave a brief scouting report on Boston's rookie class, a trio of players that should, initially, have to fight for minutes.

"Jordan Mickey has a great body on him ... he can shoot the midrange shot really well," said McCarty. "I think he's probably most ready from a physical standpoint. R.J. is going to be a knockdown shooter, he just has to get a little stronger. I think Terry Rozier, he’s one of those Russell Westbrook-type of guards, he's so athletic and so explosive that you can't stay in front of him. And we need a guard like that. He can defend. He’s really good at anticipating the ball and getting steals. He’s just a tough defender; he’s like a Marcus Smart. We’re pretty excited. It’s going to be a lot of fun developing these guys."

bob
MY NOTE:  Every team has 'one goal' when the season starts.  If they're in a position to compete for the championship that's their goal if they're a perennial lottery team then their goal is to make the playoffs but they all have 'one goal'.  Having said that I think Brad proved last year that he is quite good at getting the players to buy into his goal and his goal, this year, won't be to just make the playoffs. That was last year's goal.

Whole lotta nothing here, Waltah states the obvious.  We're overstocked in the front court, everybody wants minutes and they'll have to monitor them.  Yep.  Mickey has the most NBA ready game of the rookies, RJ needs to get stronger and Rozier can defend and penetrate.  Yep, yep and yep.  If Mickey didn't get bounced around the gym against Okafur he might have a chance against NBA forwards.  I saw RJ getting bounced off of routes, 6'6", 190# is the right height but he's 15-25# lighter than everybody he'll be playing against and Rozier has a killer cross-over and is a ball-hawk.

9 more days before they can report, 10 days before camp officially opens.  T-10, and counting down.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down