Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers

3 posters

Go down

Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers Empty Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers

Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers 17349090-mmmain
Gerald Wallace was waived Friday by the Philadelphia 76ers. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on September 26, 2015 at 7:36 PM

The Philadelphia 76ers have waived Gerald Wallace, a league source told MassLive.com. Teams around the league were alerted of the move Friday night.

Wallace, 33, most recently played for the Boston Celtics. After they traded the veteran wing to Golden State this summer, he was sent to Philadelphia in a subsequent move. The 76ers will be on the hook for the remaining $10.1 million of his expiring contract, but decided not to keep Wallace around for the start of the regular season.

The Celtics acquired Wallace in 2013 as part of the Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce trade. Over two seasons with the team, he began as a regular contributor but got edged out of the rotation due to injuries, aging, and the erosion of his offensive game. Despite a hesitance to join Boston's rebuilding process at first, Wallace emerged as a locker room favorite who won teammates over with his tough love.

Assuming the one-time All-Star clears waivers, he will become a free agent Tuesday. Former Nets assistant general manager Bobby Marks seems to think the veteran could receive some interest.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers Empty Re: Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm

I hope he banked all that money he made with the contract he got before coming here.  He basically made $20 plus million in Boston and Philadelphia will be on the hook for the remaining $10 million left on that contract.  Not bad money for having a small part of the team. The one thing I will say about him is that he finally settled down after being traded here, and became a voice  in the locker room. I am sure Stevens appreciated how he kept his mouth shut and helped the young guys learn.

Rosalie

Last edited by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers Empty Re: Former Boston Celtics forward Gerald Wallace waived by Philadelphia 76ers

Post by gyso Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:28 pm

He couldn't get playing time with us, how does that translate to the rest of the league? My guess is that he is done.

I do have to say that, as a person, he surprised me in a good way. I thought he was a jerk. Before he came here, I remembered how he stood over a fallen Pierce on the sidelines, jawing at and shoving KG. Public Enemy No. 1 for sure.

Now, I hope he enjoys his retirement. Maybe I'll see him down in Charlotte, where they absolutely loved him.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down