Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension

2 posters

Go down

Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension Empty Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:45 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_tyl.html#incart_story_package

Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension

Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension 17413782-mmmain
Boston Celtics center Tyler Zeller, front, drives against Roy Hibbert (55) during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Boston Wednesday, April 1, 2015. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 09, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Boston Celtics center Tyler Zeller has said he would like to sign a contract extension this month, but knows he should be in good shape even if he doesn't.

"No stress," Zeller told HoopsHype on Thursday. "I got one more year in my contract. I know I'm going to be here anyway. It's not like the situation Tristan Thompson is going through in Cleveland. I'm just going to go out and play my game. It's great if I get (a contract extension) and it's great if I don't. Next summer I'm going to be a restricted free agent and it's kind of an open market and we'll see what happens."

The Celtics have until the Oct. 31 deadline to negotiate an extension for Zeller, who set career highs with 10.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game last season. If the two sides fail to reach an agreement by the end of the month he will become a restricted free agent next summer, when the new TV deal will begin pushing the salary cap sky-high. Either way, the big man should receive a hefty pay raise. John Henson recently signed a four-year, $45-million extension after averaging 7.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.0 blocks over 18.3 minutes per game.

Jared Sullinger and Perry Jones are also eligible for extensions from the Celtics this month. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge has said talks are ongoing with the representatives for Zeller and Sullinger, but had "nothing imminent" to report during a recent conversation with the Boston Globe. More on Boston's extension candidates can be found here.

bob
MY NOTE:  THE key sentence here is "I know I'm going to be here anyway."  Like Jae Crowder, if he wants to be here he'll push his agent to make it happen.  Zeller is, at the minimum, a very serviceable back up center.  You need those too and legit ones like Zeller don't just grow on trees.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension Empty Re: Tyler Zeller not stressing about possible contract extension

Post by wide clyde Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Great attitude relating to a future contract. This young man seems quite grounded and very logical.

He will also be a very important part of this year's team with or without a new contract by the end of the month. He works hard, improved a lot during last season under Stevens and his staff, seems to fit in well with his teammates, etc.

I think that he will improve himself again this season statistically to the point that he will be quite a bit more valuable than just a serviceable back up NBA center even if he is never thought of as a star player. Jordan's Bulls won championships with lesser players at the center spot than what Zeller brings to the table.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down