Tyler Zeller remains under the radar

Go down

Tyler Zeller remains under the radar Empty Tyler Zeller remains under the radar

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:53 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/10/bulpett_tyler_zeller_remains_under_the_radar

Bulpett: Tyler Zeller remains under the radar

Tyler Zeller remains under the radar 041715NBAplayoffs_Zeller
Photo by: AP (File)
UNDER THE RADAR: Celtics center Tyler Zeller, driving to the hoop in a game in Phoenix last season, is still figuring out his role with the team as the season approaches.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015
By:  Steve Bulpett

WALTHAM — More than two weeks into training camp, we are moved to ask whether Tyler Zeller has entered the witness-protection program. Is the new beard just another way of hiding his identity?

The Celtics’ starting center is a full 7 feet tall and has trouble fitting under the top of some doorways, yet he is under the radar.

“Yeah, but I’m all right with that,” said Zeller with a smile. “As long as I’m doing my job and I feel like I’m helping our team in any way possible, I don’t mind being under the radar.”

No one talks much about Zeller when they’re talking about the Celtics, but he’s solid, and solid is good. He may not be a low-post scoring monster or a classic rim protector, but his numbers are several miles from shabby.

Zeller went for 10.2 points and 5.7 rebounds in just 21.1 minutes a game after coming to the Celts from Cleveland in a three-team trade in July 2014. He shot 54.9 percent with a handy 60 percent from 10-16 feet and 48.2 percent beyond 16. By the end of the year, he was even warmer. In the last 18 games, Zeller went for 12.3 points in 22.0 minutes, shooting 59.6 percent from the floor.

“I’m kind of just trying to build off the end of last year,” he said before yesterday’s practice. “Last year was a huge learning experience for me. My game kind of changed over the year. At the beginning of the year I was all layups and rolls. At the end of the year I was a little more pick and pop.

“I’m trying to build off a lot of things I started to figure out last year. I know I’ve got a long way to go in all those, but I’m just trying to move forward from there.”

Zeller played in all 82 regular-season games last season, starting 59. He was out with the first five for both games on the European trip, but he’s assuming nothing.

“I’m just kind of feeling my way along,” he said. “Obviously we’ve still got a couple of weeks until the season starts, so a lot of things can happen. You’ve got to keep earning your position, earning your minutes every day, and I try to do that every practice all year. You’ve just got to continue to work hard and continue to put your best foot forward and see what happens.”

C’s coach Brad Stevens said his lineups will be more about getting the right complementary combinations on the court, and so far Zeller and David Lee have fit well together.

“He does a great job passing the ball, moving the ball,” Zeller said of his new teammate. “He does a lot of very advanced actions, obviously because he’s been around a long time. Just being in the right place and adapting and reading all those things takes time, but I’m getting better with it every day.”

Speaking of time, Zeller hopes he has a lot of it in Boston. The 25-year-old is in the final year of his rookie contract, and president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said there have been discussions about an extension. Ainge has until the end of the month on the extension, and he likes to wait as long as possible on these things.

“I’ve heard that,” said Zeller with a smile. “Look, it’s one of those things that, would it be great to get one? Yeah. But at the same time, you know, I’ve got one more year on my contract. I love playing, and I’m just going to try to do whatever I can to play as well as I can. Whether I’ve got one year left or six years left, I’m just going to keep playing hard. . . .

“Obviously I’d like to be around here a long time. I think it’s a great organization. But I’m a very religious person, so I just kind of have to see what God’s plan for me is, and whatever it is, it’ll play out and I’ll end up exactly where I’m supposed to be.”

As for how he’s used, Zeller has a similar confidence in Stevens, which is part of a reason he’d love to stay a Celtic.

“He does a great job of finding people and putting people in the right spots, and if you’re in the right spot, you’re going to be a lot more confident about how you can score,” Zeller said. “He’s not trying to turn anybody into what they’re not.

“He does a great job of putting you in a place to make you successful. It’s a great person to play for.”

If anything, Zeller has proven that he will listen to intelligent authority. Such is the case with the aforementioned beard, the presence of which came as a surprise when he arrived for training camp.

How did his wife, Caitlyn, let this happen?

“I’m not real sure,” Zeller said. “She told me I have to trim my neck. After I did that, she told me she was OK with it. So I was like, fair enough. I guess she’s the one that made the change this year. But it was my fault. I used to just let it go.”

Prior to this, Zeller would only sport the facial hair when Caitlyn was out of town.

“Pretty much, yeah,” he said.

Now the beard adds to the low profile of the very tall man.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down