Isaiah Thomas runs into idol Nate 'Tiny' Archibald outside of Boston Celtics hotel

Go down

Isaiah Thomas runs into idol Nate 'Tiny' Archibald outside of Boston Celtics hotel Empty Isaiah Thomas runs into idol Nate 'Tiny' Archibald outside of Boston Celtics hotel

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:17 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/isaiah_thomas_runs_into_hero_n.html#incart_river

Isaiah Thomas runs into idol Nate 'Tiny' Archibald outside of Boston Celtics hotel

Isaiah Thomas runs into idol Nate 'Tiny' Archibald outside of Boston Celtics hotel 18983057-mmmain
Celtics' Isaiah Thomas, center, goes with the ball to the basket past Real Madrid's Guillermo Hernangomez "Willy", left, during a friendly basketball match between Real Madrid and Boston Celtics at the Barclaycard Centre sport arena in Madrid, Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM

NEW YORK -- Walking out of the Boston Celtics hotel Thursday, Isaiah Thomas ran into one of his idols.

Nate "Tiny" Archibald was nearby with Jeff Twiss, the Celtics director of media relations. Knowing Thomas might like to say hello to one of his heroes, Twiss chased down the guard to set up a brief meeting.

The two high-scoring playmakers posed for a picture but didn't get much chance to chat. They had met for the first time a few months ago at an autograph signing in Massachusetts that also included Dan Marino, Bill Walton and Malcolm Butler.

"It was really special then," Thomas told MassLive.com Friday before a team shootaround at Madison Square Garden. "I introduced myself and he said, 'I already know who you are. You don't have to do that.' That's a blessing. That's crazy. That's when it really hits you like, man, you really made it."

Thomas was the runner-up for the Sixth Man of the Year award last season. Realistically, he understood Archibald had probably heard of him, at least. But it was still a bit surreal to get recognized by someone he considers a "legend."

"We talked briefly," Thomas said. "He just said he's a big fan of mine, which was surprising that he even knew who I was. That was humbling. But for the most part he just said, 'Keep being yourself. That's what got you here and that's why people love you.'"

Injury report

As expected, Marcus Smart (strep throat) and Terry Rozier (knee swelling) will both miss Friday night's game against the Knicks. Everybody else should be available, according to head coach Brad Stevens. Still, he plans to rest certain players for one half each.

Rozier shot around Friday with a wrap on his knee and told a teammate he expected to practice the following day.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down