Celtics notebook: Extensions unlikely for duo

Go down

Celtics notebook: Extensions unlikely for duo Empty Celtics notebook: Extensions unlikely for duo

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:20 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2015/10/celtics_notebook_exensions_unlikely_for_duo

Celtics notebook: Extensions unlikely for duo

Steve Bulpett Friday, October 23, 2015

Celtics notebook: Extensions unlikely for duo 102215celticsce002
Photo by: Christopher Evans
PASSING FANCY: Celtics power forward Jared Sullinger (7) looks for an open man past the defense of the New York Knicks’ Kevin Seraphin during the second quarter of last night’s preseason game at the Garden.

There is nothing new to report on the question of whether the Celtics will get Tyler Zeller and/or Jared Sullinger signed to extensions of their rookie contracts before the Oct. 31 deadline. And it’s looking like things will remain that way.

According to league sources, the Celts are really only interested in locking up the pair if they can get a deal that is very favorable to the club.

Even if they let the two play out this season without a guarantee for 2016-17, the C’s can make them restricted free agents (having the ability to match any offers from other clubs) by giving qualifying offers — $3,695,169 for Zeller and $3,270,004 for Sullinger.

The Celtics clearly want to retain as much flexibility as possible heading into next offseason, and the feeling is that if either of the big men plays exceedingly well, the team will be happy to pay for his value.

Fisher’s hooked

The Celtics plan to lean on their depth this season, and New York Knicks coach Derek Fisher understands why.

“They have a lot of really good players,” Fisher said before the C’s beat the Knicks, 99-85, in preseason play at the Garden. “I don’t think that as a coach you can get locked into saying only these 10 guys are going to play. And I think that’s great, because there’s a level of accountability within the locker room where guys know, if I don’t do my job there’s somebody right next to me that will do it. We’re hopeful that on our team we can have some similar situations.”

Celts coach Brad Stevens has the difficult task of making the rotation work.

“It’ll be game plan,” Stevens said in regard to the distribution of minutes among his players. “It’ll be feel. It’ll be opponent-specific. It’ll be how our guys are playing. It’ll be how our guys are practicing. It’ll be a number of different things. But it won’t be a decision made without being vetted. . . .

The Celts were without Isaiah Thomas (sore knee) and Kelly Olynyk (rest) against the Knicks.

“Isaiah has still got that bruise,” Stevens said. “The tendinitis has subsided quite a bit, as far as the pain. I think, again, he’s close to being ready. He could even play (tonight against the 76ers in Manchester, N.H.). But he went through a workout, and obviously it being the last two games of the preseason, I think we should be smart with him over the next two nights.” . . .

Stevens turned 39 yesterday, but he received no gifts from his players. Thankfully.

“They offered to sing but I’ve heard them sing,” he said. “I’m good. No, they were all kind. I guess I’m old enough where it doesn’t matter anymore.”

Golden outlook

David Lee admitted he would have loved to stay with the defending champion Golden State Warriors, but he’s not upset that he wound up with the building Celtics.

“For me, my friends and my family are constantly asking, ‘Watching Golden State play in a preseason game, that must be just awful to watch — to not be out there,’ ” Lee said. “But really, there’s something about leaving when there’s no unfinished business. If I would have left (after) we would have lost in the Finals last year, and I would have gone, like, ‘Man, I really want to be back when they have a chance to win it again.’ This was strictly a move about (salary cap) numbers in basketball. . . . Leaving on the note that I did, though, being able to contribute in the playoffs the way I did and us winning a championship, I have no regrets out there.”

Lee also talked about his willingness to come over.

“I just thought it was a good fit,” he said. “For a young team looking for leadership and looking for a veteran who’s been through a lot of battles, I fit that mold, as well as I wanted to be with a good group of guys. . . . And of course with the tradition and playing in this city, I thought it was a perfect fit. Luckily, they really wanted me just like I wanted to be here. Make no mistake about it, I loved Golden State and would have preferred to stay there forever. But this is one heck of an opportunity and I’m really, really excited to be here.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down