Brad Stevens sends message after blowout loss to Atlanta Hawks

Go down

Brad Stevens sends message after blowout loss to Atlanta Hawks Empty Brad Stevens sends message after blowout loss to Atlanta Hawks

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/11/brad_stevens_bashes_boston_cel.html

Boston Celtics analysis: Brad Stevens sends message after blowout loss to Atlanta Hawks

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on November 25, 2015 at 4:30 AM, updated November 25, 2015 at 5:31 AM

ATLANTA -- At least when he stands in the public eye, Brad Stevens is a master of controlling emotions. It might be his most impressive skill: the ability to disregard the human being inside of him and react to every circumstance in the way he considers most productive. Mad, thrilled, disappointed, whatever, he crafts a deliberate response. After the lone ejection of his NBA career, he stopped long enough to congratulate the opposing coach before walking into the locker room.

On the rare occasions when Stevens rips into the Boston Celtics, the effect is jarring, like if a 12-foot wave erupted in the middle of a lake. Maybe bashing his team Tuesday night was all part of his plan, the way he determined would push the Celtics back on track. But while he pointed out a lack of togetherness, while he hissed, "We had this coming," he sounded for the first time this season like emotions had won. He didn't cuss, didn't yell, and never does, but sternly conveyed he has not liked his club's recent play.

"He was very upset," Isaiah Thomas said after dropping a 121-97 embarrassment to the Atlanta Hawks. "That's the most mad I've seen him since I've been here, and he said that's as mad as he's been since his first year here."

Two days after a major letdown against the Brooklyn Nets, the Celtics were shredded once more, allowing Atlanta to hit 56.3 percent of their shots. Toward the end of the second quarter, Boston actually trailed by just two points. Avery Bradley (25 points) continued to hit a bunch of outside shots, David Lee worked for some post buckets, and rookie R.J. Hunter showed up with his best performance yet. But even when those three guys were rolling, it was like they hovered a few feet above their teammates, rather than resting on their teammates shoulders. Near the end of the half, the Celtics surrendered a 7-0 run.

The symbol? This possession:

http://fat.gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteHastyEasternglasslizard.webm

After a weird switch and bad communication, Lee abandoned an All-Star point guard. Thomas tried to scramble over to Jeff Teague, but tripped on Al Horford's leg and could only watch as the corner three fell in.

Different quarter, similar story. The Celtics actually pulled within six points during the fourth, but, from that point forward, committed a staggering amount of defensive sins. For example:

http://fat.gfycat.com/ConventionalFearfulGermanwirehairedpointer.webm

Were Jonas Jerebko and Evan Turner supposed to switch there? Did either of them know what the other planned to do? As Jerebko hedged out on Kyle Korver, Turner should have either scampered back to the shooter or turned around and located Jerebko's man. Instead, Turner lagged back, essentially guarding no one for a couple of seconds. By the time he decided to defend Mike Scott, the Hawks reserve already had ideal post position and an easy bucket.

The offense was a mess, too. Isaiah Thomas committed four turnovers in the first quarter. Jae Crowder took some weird shots. Jerebko played badly enough to tweet about it after the game. The Celtics relied on more post-ups than usual, searching well outside of their normal comfort zone for anything that might work.

"I think we have to reconnect," Stevens said. "We're not playing basketball as a team on either end of the floor. We've had good quarters that have masked our deficiencies and we need to get back to being a team, we need to get back in one direction. And I think the best way we'll be able to recognize it is if we guard somebody once."

Brad Stevens sends message after blowout loss to Atlanta Hawks 19269791-large
Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens, left, stands on the sideline during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015, in Atlanta. The Hawks won 121-97.
AP Photo/David Goldman

Guard somebody once? The Celtics defense has been one of the early-season's biggest surprises. Over the weekend, they even briefly moved atop the NBA's defensive leaderboard. Discussion centered on their relentless attitude, how they forced so many turnovers. Stevens raved about his club's mentality, but cautioned, "That's something that I even hesitate to talk about because you have to do it every day. You have to prove it and reprove it every day."

Since then, splat.

Crowder said he felt a lack of urgency during the last two shootarounds, like some of the Celtics were "faking it, trying to get it over with." The other Celtics agreed they weren't locked in against Atlanta.

"We're not good enough to where we can not bring the energy and the effort," Thomas said. "That's the backbone of this team. We've got to know that. And from the first guy to the last guy, we've got to bring that."

It's not panic time after a two-game losing skid. But in an improved Eastern Conference, Stevens doesn't want any mistakes to become habits. As of early Wednesday morning, his team sat in 10th place in the standings, currently out of the playoff race. It's too early to worry much about positioning, but with Marcus Smart (lower left leg) expected to miss about two more weeks and a long road trip on the horizon, the Celtics need to escape their current funk.

"We had this coming," Stevens said. "We haven't played well in a few days now. Even when we beat Brooklyn at home, we had a good quarter. But we had this coming."

Asked about possible rotation changes, Stevens said he would ponder some on the flight back to Boston. Heck, he had even thought about switches before giving his postgame interview.

"We'll reconnect (as a team)," he said, "or we'll shuffle it up."

Again, the Celtics are only a few days removed from a powerful stretch during which they smacked a number of good teams. The last time Stevens showed so much frustration after a game, Boston responded by capturing seven of their next eight contests, catapulting them into last season's playoffs.

Similarly to that squad, this season's Celtics win not because they feature top-shelf stars, but because they keep coming at teams, one through 10, all woven together. Like Rocky Balboa, the Celtics have some talent, but only work -- really work -- when they're willing to chase after chickens, run steps before sunrise, and throw all their power into every punch.

Constantly, Stevens reminds his players they can't afford to slack.

"I've made mention of this so many times, and I hope I'm not repeating myself too much. But if we don't play well we'll lose," he said Tuesday night. "It doesn't matter who we're playing. And if we play even less than that, we'll get blown out. And that's why we had this coming."

Fourteen games into the season, Stevens hammered his point home with emotions he rarely taps into. These Celtics have filled him with pride plenty of times before and will probably do so again soon. But the coach sent a message Tuesday night. He will not stand for such an indifferent effort. Not from this team, which has a chance to be pretty good, but only if it can rely on regular ferocity and cohesiveness.

bob
MY NOTE:  Considering the GM is Trader Danny, this should send seismic-sized shivers through the roster, "We'll reconnect (as a team)," he said, "or we'll shuffle it up."

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down