beat
dboss
Sam
NESportsfan12
cowens/oldschool
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How did Bill Walker hide his game? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did Bill Walker hide his game?

Post by MDCelticFan Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:11 am

Walker was hidden very well by Doc (LOL). Walker, nor his game was cerebral enough for the Celtics. Well, the crew we have now is thinking the C's right down to a second tier playoff team for 2010, and minus significant changes, the C's are headed for a lottery pick in 2011!-MD.

MDCelticFan

Back to top Go down

How did Bill Walker hide his game? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did Bill Walker hide his game?

Post by beat Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 am

MD

I only said not a FIRST ballot HOFer that all. He'll get in but not on the first try IMHO.

beat

Sorry for the little delay just spent the past 1 1/2 hr in a jury pool. Picked and passed on thank goodness.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:frustrating had a piece right on our porch,in our backyard.

Fair enough...I thought he said we had a "Pierce" right on our bench...not a piece...lol.

I see how you could have easily read that!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 am

bobheckler wrote:As with the Celtics, Walker is up and down with the Knicks. He has had some really good games and then he disappears for a few.

I completely concur with Sam's perspective. Different skill sets will make players look better or worse in different systems. Mike D'Antoni's run-and-run style of play is perfect for an athlete. Another system Walker would probably do well in is Nellieball. Run the ball and take 3s on offense and run at people on defense. I'm not saying this as a knock or plaudit on D'Antoni or Nellie, but that's their systems and to make that system work you need the right type of horses. In Doc and Thib's system you need to be a basketball player, almost more than you need to be an athlete. Do you think Paul Pierce or KG, both of whom have high IQs but are no racehorses, would fit in well with either of those two coach's systems?

This isn't a zero-sum game. Just because a players a bust over here and a perfect 10 over there doesn't mean one team/coach is a loser and the other is a genius. It means they realized the player's a round peg, and maybe that's all he is, and round pegs fit better into a round hole.

bob

what player always is up and has a good/great game,are Pierce and Ray always up or do they also have off games?Walker has shown on the Knicks when he gets minutes,he gets numbers,noticed Quis is also somewhat up and down too,Walker suddenly has a better outside game than Quis who I like and can finish much more explosively too.The reason I'm comparing them is Quis has the experience and was in front of Walker on depth chart.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 am

beat wrote:mrkleen

Where does Cow compare Walker to Pierce?
I did read the words replacement for Pierce in a couple years.

Pierce is not a first ballot HOFer in my opinion either.

I tend to agree with Cow. Take the pressure angle or whatever you choose. Bottom Line he is scoring and scoring from three also.
Should he have gotten more of a look here? perhaps.
I've watched a couple of hie NY games and he has looked very comfortable.

Walker is playing for his future too. He'd love a bigger contract no doubt.

In 2 years the C's "may" look back and wish they had not let him go.

We shall see what unfolds.

beat

beat did you see the last Knick game?the defense was onto Walkers 3 point game,so he stepped back further,last 3 3's he hit were from 27 feet,Clyde Frazier was going off,he loves this kid.I'd say he was in a zone.Amazing what confidence can do when are allowed to play your game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 am

kleen do you think a young explosive athletic wing with a perimeter game can help us ?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:kleen do you think a young explosive athletic wing with a perimeter game can help us ?

You mean one with proven NBA talent like Nate Robinson or Marquis Daniels? Yes.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am

Cow

Was game flipping that night but did happen to see that trey. Yeah Clyde was quite pleased to say the least.

#47 is a bit of a crap shoot for sure. Yeah there were many that passed before we picked BUT WE DID PICK HIM for some reason. And he IMHO never really had a chance here. I know there were very good players in front of him too.

Knick's a poor team?..........well if their recent Dallas game is any indication they are getting better, and appear a whole lot better since getting Walker. Gotta start somewhere.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 pm

beat
Just heard Walker interviewed on 1050 ESPN Radio on the way home,he said Boston was a great experience that he learned so much here,kid was very humble,didn't think hes done anything yet,just glad to get oppurtunity to get started.
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:05 am

1-5 and -12 (worst on the team) in15 minutes.

Kid probably has talent but would be willing to spend season/s waiting for it?

Knicks aint got nothing to lose, they are probably trying to see if they can find some value amongst their cheap/young players that they can use to compliment their big free agents with next season.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 am

OBVIOUSLY THE OFFENSE WAS NOT RUN THROUGH HIM TONIGHT. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE SEEN THAT WITH CELTIC PLAYERS NOT SCORE BECAUSE OF COACHES ORDERS. THE KID WILL BE A FORCE IN THE NBA.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 pm

beat wrote:MD

I only said not a FIRST ballot HOFer that all. He'll get in but not on the first try IMHO.

beat

Sorry for the little delay just spent the past 1 1/2 hr in a jury pool. Picked and passed on thank goodness.

beat,

Lemme guess. They asked you what you did for a living and you said "Probation Officer" and the defense attorney said "thank you for coming, we will not be needing your services".

What don't they just save everybody time and trouble and just exclude law enforcement and lawyers from the pool? You know they aren't going to get selected.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Bob

I was actually selected 3rd in the first sitting and had to listen to the judge talk for a hour and both attorney for another before we got asked anything.

FINALLY when asked if I knew anyone I could say yeah I know both attorneys and the Judge. When asked how I said I was a Probation Officer and "bing" ..............."You may be excused."

Woman looked guilty as hell anyway!!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:1-5 and -12 (worst on the team) in15 minutes.

Kid probably has talent but would be willing to spend season/s waiting for it?

Knicks aint got nothing to lose, they are probably trying to see if they can find some value amongst their cheap/young players that they can use to compliment their big free agents with next season.

swede,

Walker had 2 points and 3 fouls in 15 minutes last night vs the 76ers. Not exactly an impact player in that game.

NY won. Think D'Antoni is going to stick with what worked? If so, Bill Walker might not see starting minutes again for a while.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:36 pm

I think it's safe to say that Walker has skills. Is it unfortunate that he didn't get to display them here? For sure. Does that mean that he should have? Not in my opinion.

The Celtics are a team who rely on the smarts of their players to run specifically designed plays. We all know they have an extremely detailed defense which 10+ year veterans have difficulty picking up...they are contending for a title.

The Knicks are more of a combination of players than they are a team. They aren't playing for anything other than a shot at the LeBron sweepstakes next year. Their offense is mainly freelance with a pick and roll thrown in here and there, and their defense...wait, what defense?

Bottom line is he wasn't right for what the Celtics are doing this year. I have no regrets.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:45 pm

KellyGreen17 wrote:I think it's safe to say that Walker has skills. Is it unfortunate that he didn't get to display them here? For sure. Does that mean that he should have? Not in my opinion.

The Celtics are a team who rely on the smarts of their players to run specifically designed plays. We all know they have an extremely detailed defense which 10+ year veterans have difficulty picking up...they are contending for a title.

The Knicks are more of a combination of players than they are a team. They aren't playing for anything other than a shot at the LeBron sweepstakes next year. Their offense is mainly freelance with a pick and roll thrown in here and there, and their defense...wait, what defense?

Bottom line is he wasn't right for what the Celtics are doing this year. I have no regrets.

kelly,

nice summation.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 pm

beat wrote:Bob

I was actually selected 3rd in the first sitting and had to listen to the judge talk for a hour and both attorney for another before we got asked anything.

FINALLY when asked if I knew anyone I could say yeah I know both attorneys and the Judge. When asked how I said I was a Probation Officer and "bing" ..............."You may be excused."

Woman looked guilty as hell anyway!!!

beat

beat,

I had a dog who looked guilty every time I came home and continued to look guilty until I did a once-through to see if anything was amiss.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks Bob Very Happy
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Kelly not going to debate You have made valid points

But the last few word(s) in your sumation are

wasn't right for what the Celtics are doing this year

THIS YEAR. being key.

I do think he could have developed into something for us in the future.
But here is would never have a chance now.

He is young and athletic with apparently some range few knew he had.

guess we shall all wait and see if the C's shoulda kept him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:00 pm

beat wrote:THIS YEAR. being key.

beat wrote:guess we shall all wait and see if the C's shoulda kept him.

Beat, aren’t these two statements at odds with each other?

If 5 years from now Bill Walker is an NBA starter – does that somehow change the fact that brining in Nate was the right decision?

Either it was the right thing to do – or it wasn’t. The right now part is immaterial since all we can do is judge things “right now”
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Beat, it's ok to debate...that's what the board is for, right?

I understand your concerns about the future, but if your team was always planning for the future, they would never win a title. The window with the Big 3 is closing. Bill Walker was not going to help them win a title. Nate Robinson just might.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 pm

It took years, and two more teams, before Joe Johnson hit his stride and made the Celtics look like they made a mistake. Woulda, coulda, shoulda with 20/20 hindsight.

It took 2 years and 3 more teams before Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair finally imploded and made the Celtics look smart getting rid of them. Thank God we did.

Where I have problems is not when we lose players who are inconsistent or underperforming when we have them, it's when we lose a player that is consistently performing well with us. Like Leon.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Kelly

Guess my wording needs a bit to be desired. Certainly Walker was not in the plans for us so letting him go is neither right or wrong but it is a move that "may" be regetfull us down the road. Now we have no way of knowing that unless we are Ms CLEO.

I guess I was trying to say he could be a big help to us the next 5-6 years. COULD being my key word.

Simply put, I liked the kid and think we gave up to much for what we got in return. Nothing against Nate either.

beat

S
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 pm

beat wrote:Kelly

Guess my wording needs a bit to be desired. Certainly Walker was not in the plans for us so letting him go is neither right or wrong but it is a move that "may" be regetfull us down the road. Now we have no way of knowing that unless we are Ms CLEO.

I guess I was trying to say he could be a big help to us the next 5-6 years. COULD being my key word.

Simply put, I liked the kid and think we gave up to much for what we got in return. Nothing against Nate either.

beat

S

beat,

If Nate hits some big shots in the playoffs and helps us win #18, we will revisit this conversation.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Beat, thats a valid opinion, and not a bad one either!

As we all know, Walker was the 47th pick in the draft. Maybe Danny will find a new #47 this year that will erase all thoughts of Bill Walker! Maybe he pulls off some crazy trade that nets us Dwyane Wade! Maybe the Big 3 have a renewed burst of energy and we rip off 4 'ships in a row! Maybe I find a million dollars on my way home from work today...

I like this maybe game Smile

Jokes aside, I do see your point, and there's nothing wrong with playing the what if game. I just think, realistically, that the trade for Nate was worth it. Nate really isn't replacing Walker, he's replacing Eddie. As much as I loved Eddie, I think Nate has worked out better for us, even with the small sample size.

As much as it would suck for us, I hope Walker continues to play well and has a long career. He seemed like a good kid. Now he just has to worry about those knees...
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next