kdp59
8 posters

Go down

POST GAME OKC - HOME Empty POST GAME OKC - HOME

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:58 pm

Durant, Thunder roll over Celtics, 130-109

CSNNE

A.SHERROD BLAKLEY

BOSTON – It has been a while since the boo-birds had anything to chirp about at the TD Garden when the Boston Celtics were playing.

Wednesday’s 130-109 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder?

Yup. That qualifies.

The Celtics (38-29) have now lost three in a row and back-to-back games at the TD Garden for the first time since Jan. 2 and Jan. 6 when they were beat by Brooklyn (100-97) and Detroit (99-94), respectively.

Kevin Durant had 28 points and nine assists while Russell Westbrook had 24 points. Boston's Isaiah Thomas led all scorers with 29 points.

Wednesday’s outcome would have been a lot more lopsided if it weren’t for both teams clearing their benches for most of the fourth quarter which afforded the Celtics’ youngsters to get some quality minutes that to their credit, they made the most of.

The Celtics faced a double-digit lead at the half, and scored early in the third quarter on a put-back by Jared Sullinger.

But it was downhill in a hurry after that for Boston, with the Thunder rolling over the Celtics with an 11-0 run that put Boston in a 20-point (77-57) hole.

Following a time-out by Boston head coach Brad Stevens, the Celtics responded with a 7-0 run capped off by a 3-pointer from Isaiah Thomas.

Thunder head coach Billy Donovan knew he had to do something to slow down Boston’s increasing momentum, calling a time-out of his own with 7:13 to play in the third.

Oklahoma City’s fast start in the third was similar to how they began the game.

The Thunder scored on their first three possessions with all seven points being scored by Kevin Durant over Marcus Smart who is seven inches (or so) shorter than Durant.

Others would eventually get involved as the Thunder played with a lead the entire game.

Boston had its share of runs that made the scoreboard mildly interesting.

But whenever it seemed the Celtics were on the verge of swinging the game’s momentum fully in their direction, back came Durant or Russell Westbrook or Serge Ibaka or some other Orange-clad visitor.

The loss was a cold splash of reality in the face of the Celtics that served as a reminder that they still have some room to grow before they can beat the best teams when they are at full strength.

Even with Jae Crowder (high ankle sprain) out, the Celtics would have been hard-pressed to compete let alone beat Oklahoma City on Wednesday.

Not only were they knocking down shots all game and from all points on the floor, but they were making very few mistakes with the basketball as Oklahoma City turned the ball over just six times.

It’s a surprisingly low number when you consider Westbrook most nights is good for four turnovers by himself.

But it was that kind of game for the Celtics, whose schedule doesn’t get any easier with their next game at Toronto on Friday.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

STUDS AND DUDS: DURANT DOMINATES, THUNDER DESTROY CELTICS

WEEI

By Sam Packard

Thunder only happens when it’s raining — raining jump shots, that is.

The Oklahoma City Thunder shot 49 percent from the field and 41 percent  from beyond the arc (12-29 3P) on their way to an easy 130-109 win over the Celtics. Kevin Durant (28 points) and Russell Westbrook (24 points) led the way for the Thunder, while Isaiah Thomas scored 29 in the loss.

Durant scored the Thunder’s first seven points, knocking down a 3 before abusing Marcus Smart on back-to-back post-ups. Not to be outdone, Westbrook scored the team’s next six points, as the Thunder built an early 10-point lead.

The only Celtic who could consistently hit an outside shot, Thomas did his best to keep pace with the dynamic scoring duo, but received little help from his supporting cast. The Celtics finished 5-of-19 from behind the 3-point line, with Thomas accounting for three of the five makes.

Without Jae Crowder, who missed his second game due to a high ankle sprain, the Celtics had no answer for the high-powered attack of Westbrook and Durant. In addition to their 53 points, the pair dished out five and nine assists, respectively.

At the half, with the C’s only down 66-55, it still felt as if the Celtics had a chance to keep the game close. The Thunder quickly put an end to that notion, opening the second half with an 11-2 run, on their way to an outrageous 42-point third quarter — the most points allowed by Boston in a frame this season.

There was some positive news for the C’s, as Kelly Olnyk returned after missing the past 12 games with a partially separated right shoulder. He looked to still be in some pain and finished with eight points in 18 minutes. Amir Johnson (11 points, 12 rebounds) recorded his fifth double-double of the season.

STUD OF THE NIGHT: Kevin Durant.

Durant dominated the Celtics and flirted with a triple-double (28 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds) and finished the night with a game-high plus-30 rating. He shot 43 percent on 7-of-16 shooting, including 2-for-5 from distance. The Celtics crowd eventually started chanting “Come-To-Boston” during his free throw attempts. This did not distract Durant, who was 8-of-9 from the charity stripe.

DUD OF THE NIGHT: Marcus Smart & Evan Turner

With Jae Crowder out, the Celtics need offense out of their bench leaders — Evan Turner and Marcus Smart. Both guys struggled against the Thunder — they combined for 6 points on 3-of-15 shooting, including 0-for-5 from deep.

WHINE OF THE NIGHT: Transition points.

The Celtics managed to get their fast-break going but couldn’t convert their opportunities into made shots. The C’s missed layups, jump shots and or turned the ball over in transition. They finished the night with a measly 4 points fast-break points.

STAT OF THE NIGHT: Durant Plus Minus

The Thunder were a remarkable plus-30 in Kevin Durant’s 30 minutes on the floor.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Durant's 28 points leads Thunder to 130-109 win over Celtics

ESPNBOSTON.COM

BOSTON -- Kevin Durant had 28 points, nine assists and seven rebounds in just over three quarters, helping the Oklahoma City Thunder cruise to a 130-109 victory over the Boston Celtics on Wednesday night.

Russell Westbrook scored 24 points and Enes Kanter had 17 points and 12 rebounds for the Thunder, who had lost six of their last 10 games.

Isaiah Thomas led Boston with 29 points, and Tyler Zeller had 16. The Celtics lost their third straight after winning six of seven. It was their most lopsided home loss this season.

Durant has scored 20 or more points in 60 of the 61 games he's played this season, including 53 straight. He came out with just under nine minutes to play.

It was Boston's second straight loss at TD Garden following a 14-game home winning streak.

Before the game, Boston coach Brad Stevens said that Durant's ability to score is "ridiculous."

The All-Star forward then went out and scored on his team's first three possessions, hitting a 3-pointer from the right wing before consecutive turnarounds over 6-foot-4 guard Marcus Smart.

When he stepped to the foul line midway into the third quarter, the crowd broke into a chant of "Come to Boston!" The 6-9 forward is a free agent at the end of the season.

Oklahoma City, which never trailed, led by 11 at halftime and built it up to 28 points late in the third quarter.

The Celtics scored the first basket in the second half before the Thunder went on an 11-0 run over the ensuing 2:32. Serge Ibaka started the spree with consecutive jumpers, the second a 3 that made it 71-57.

Oklahoma City made it 98-71 on Westbrook's 3-pointer that capped a 10-0 run with 2:59 left in the third.

Oklahoma City hit eight of 16 shots from behind the 3-point line in the first half en route to a 66-55 lead at intermission.

TIP-INS

Thunder: G Dion Waiters played for the first time after leaving the team last Wednesday to attend the funeral of his younger brother, Demetrius Pinckney. He was killed in South Philadelphia on March 8. Waiters tapped his chest near his heart and pointed to the sky after making a shot, a 3 from the left wing early in the second quarter.

Celtics: F Kelly Olynyk returned after missing 12 straight games with an injured right shoulder. . F Jae Crowder missed his second in a row with a sprained right ankle that's expected to keep him sidelined for at least two weeks. . They wore their green uniforms in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

UP NEXT

Celtics: At Toronto on Friday.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME OKC - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME OKC - HOME

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:03 pm

SHOWS HOW FRAGILE THE TEAM IS WITH 1 PLAYER OUT - CROWDER!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:42 am

well, lets see how Brad gets this team prepared for the Raptors.

I expect the team to come out with a lot of energy and even ANGER and take it out of Toronto Friday.

if not, we may end up fighting for a playoff spot by the end of the year. that west coast trip coming up could be BRUTAL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:13 am

This is one of the first time, if not THE first, this team embarrassed me.  It's not our inability to stop Westbrook and Durant, NOBODY can stop them, it was everything else.  It's like we never played together before.  Sam always used to talk about team chemistry and how it's effected when a key player is lost or when that player comes back and disrupts the new chemistry that was created in their absence.  I guess Jae is that important to us.

Our front court was getting thrown around like rag dolls all night.  All of them, including Sully.  Awful.  Nobody put a body on anybody.  Nobody.  Kanter with 7 offensive boards.  Awful.  Adams abusing Sully.  Awful.  Sully with 4 boards.  Zeller blowing bunny after bunny.  Dunk.  The freaking.  Ball.  Kelly had so much rust on him I'm surprised he didn't creak and squeak.

I really don't understand what Brad's game plan last night was.  Usually I can see it, the players might not execute it well but I can see what Brad is trying to do, but not last night.  He started 6'4" Marcus Smart on 6'9" (and looong) Kevin Durant?  Durant was flat-footed shooting over him with ease.  And then he sits Smart down and puts 6'6" resident of Maine James Young on him?  That's like mommy dressing a chihuahua up in a pink tutu and sending her out to pick a fight with a starving rottweiler.  I heard from someone on the Game On thread that Jerebko was out with a foot injury but why not Mickey?  He might not be quick enough to stay in front of Durant, but then Durant was going down the lane whenever he felt like it anyway, even with the shorter quicker defenders on him, so why not give Mickey a try?  How about Coty Clarke?  You put him in against Indy, and he did well, but you thought the 6'7" 228# Clarke wouldn't play as well against Durant as 6'6" 215# underachiever James Young?  What the hell were you thinking, Brad, putting a bunch of ankle-biters in against Big Bird?  

Speaking of Marcus Smart, his offense is killing us.  I agree with what Doug Collins said last night.  He said that he loves Smart's competitive spirit and all but if you are a perimeter player in the NBA you must be able to shoot.  He said that Smart should lock himself in the gym this summer and not come out until his shots are reliable.  I agree wholeheartedly with all of that.  I love Smart's defense and intensity (except when his brain farts and he commits a dumb foul like he has the past few weeks) but his offense makes him a one-dimensional role player.  His season fg% is 35%, and he's shooting 26% from 3.  That's awful.  Can't anybody stop him from shooting 3s?  The only player that is worse than Smart from 3 is Turner and Turner seems to have gotten the memo and stopped taking them.  Apparently nobody has told Smart he sucks and shouldn't take them anymore.  Last night he was 1-10, 0-4 from 3.  2 points.  He didn't slow Durant down, unless you call keeping Durant under 30 "slowing him down", and he killed our offense.  Killed us.

OKC took 96 fgas and shot 41% from 3, 49% overall.  They will beat a lot of teams like that, the key is to not let them shoot like that.

We had a complete breakdown of all defensive fundamentals last night.  No rotations, nothing.

Amir.  Amir had a good game.  11 points on 5-7 and 12 boards.  Finally.  Someone in green I can talk about without inducing a vomit reflex.

Mickey, once again, came in and made an impact.  I can't make too much about it because he only played 9 garbage time minutes but he had a block and 5 points on 2-3.  I don't know what the story is with Jerebko but if he's out for any amount of time then Brad should play Mickey more.  Brad should play Mickey more.  There.  It sounded so nice I said it twice.

Awful game.  Awful.  We looked totally inept and lost on both ends.  We played with no pride for 3/4 of the game.  It was only our deep scrubs that showed any pride.  Even Brad, normally the most positive of people, said that "this is getting embarrassing" in a huddle.

As a bizarro Jon Stewart would have said, here's your moment of un-Zen.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 am

well Bob nice summation as always....

we are getting pretty close to Easter and appears we already laid an egg a bit early. I too don't mind the loss, OKC was hitting "some" tough shots but we didn't make enough of them tough enough.

Only time zeller made some nice moves............he help cut the 30 point lead to 20. By then I was chasing the cows down the road.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:04 am

a couple of times when they showed Brad sitting and watching in the second half last night, he was chomping on that cnady (or whatever) so ahrd I thought I was gonna see blood flying out of his mouth.

oh...well, THAT was some visual...sorry about that.

Sometimes teams lay a big egg, especially young ones. I wanna see how much fight they bring Friday.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:11 pm

They've been knocked down. We'll see what they're made of when they play Toronto on Friday. They have a few easier games after that, but playing a good team like Toronto is a better test of their mettle after a loss like this.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:03 pm

This game was lost when they tipped off.

Durant established that point right off the bat when he dropped a 3 ball and then posted Smart up twice for easy buckets.

I like Brad as much as the next guy but that lineup was a head scratcher.

The Celtics took and missed a ton of wide open shots on offense and on defense they strugged most of the night getting rebounds off the defensive glass.  When they were not getting rebounds they lost all the 50/50 balls.  Tyler Zeller is a horrible post defender and rebounder.

It was nice to see KO back but he was useless at both ends.

Poor Marcus.  Here we are in year two and he still cannot consistently knock down a jumper.  Bradly also struggled to find his range.

This raises some old questions.

If Marcus could run the point then Turner could be the starting SF with Crowder out.  so the question is actually two fold.  Is Marcus Smart a PG that cannot run this team's offense? and 2, Can we expect to see any measurable improvement from him when shooting the ball from the wings?

Guess who we could have used last night?  Hint: His name is not David Lee.

The Celtics lack of depth at the SF spot has been exposed.  I hate to say this but we could be in for an extended losing streak ( I'm talking about 8 of 10.

We cannot Beat Toronto when we are healthy.  And we have a 5 game road trip coming up out West.

The Celts have slipped into 5th place and based on their remaining games they may very well fall all the way down to 7th place and a 1st round meeting with Toromto = one and done.

The two teams that the Celtics need to avoid in the 1st round are Cleveland and Toronto.

Losing in the first round is no big deal in my opinion but that may result in a continuing rejection by the really good free agents during the off season.   That may be the real problem here. It is interesting how one player like Crowder truly is the glue that holds this team together.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:59 pm

dboss wrote:This game was lost when they tipped off.

Durant established that point right off the bat when he dropped a 3 ball and then posted Smart up twice for easy buckets.

The Celtics took and missed a ton of wide open shots on offense and on defense they strugged most of the night getting rebounds off the defensive glass.  When they were not getting rebounds they lost all the 50/50 balls.  Tyler Zeller is a horrible post defender and rebounder.

Poor Marcus.  Here we are in year two and he still cannot consistently knock down a jumper.  Bradly also struggled to find his range.

If Marcus could run the point then Turner could be the starting SF with Crowder out.  so the question is actually two fold.  Is Marcus Smart a PG that cannot run this team's offense? and 2, Can we expect to see any measurable improvement from him when shooting the ball from the wings?

The Celtics lack of depth at the SF spot has been exposed.  I hate to say this but we could be in for an extended losing streak ( I'm talking about 8 of  10.

We cannot Beat Toronto when we are healthy.  And we have a 5 game road trip coming up out West.

The Celts have slipped into 5th place and based on their remaining games they may very well fall all the way down to 7th place and a 1st round meeting with Toromto = one and done.

The two teams that the Celtics need to avoid in the 1st round are Cleveland and Toronto.

Losing in the first round is no big deal in my opinion but that may result in a continuing rejection by the really good free agents during the off season.   That may be the real problem here.  It is interesting how one player like Crowder truly is the glue that holds this team together.

dboss

Dboss,

I'm guessing that player behind door #1 is Mr. Herky-Jerky himself, Jordan Crawford. He's a floor stretching heart attack but 43% shooters can't be choosers.

Behind door #2, I would guess Steady Eddy, Brandon Bass. Even shorter than Sully but knows how to put a body on people.

Behind door #3 is a free pass to reverse who is behind doors #1 and 2.

How did I do?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:

The Celtics lack of depth at the SF spot has been exposed.  I hate to say this but we could be in for an extended losing streak ( I'm talking about 8 of  10.

Losing in the first round is no big deal in my opinion but that may result in a continuing rejection by the really good free agents during the off season.   That may be the real problem here.  It is interesting how one player like Crowder truly is the glue that holds this team together.

dboss

Dboss,

I'm guessing that player behind door #1 is Mr. Herky-Jerky himself, Jordan Crawford.  He's a floor stretching heart attack but 43% shooters can't be choosers.

Behind door #2, I would guess Steady Eddy, Brandon Bass.  Even shorter than Sully but knows how to put a body on people.

Behind door #3 is a free pass to reverse who is behind doors #1 and 2.

How did I do?

bob

Mickey

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 am

dboss

very accurate post, amazing we have over achieved to this point at this part of the season, Stevens has done wonders with an average at best roster. I mean we have KO and Zeller on the roster and in the rotation, I would think other teams must salivate at attacking those 2. I don't see all the hype on KO, yeah this is an era of stretch 4's, but hes such a liability defensively and the boards. Another big that we were not able to acquire because of the IT acquisation was Trey Lyles, he is younger and way more athletic than KO and hes got 3 point range and already my eyes tell me he can do more things better than KO both ends and hes just getting started. I wish we would have acquired IT AFTER the season last year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:28 am

Gerald Wallace

In limited minutes he may have been able to provide defensive help on Durant.  

Mickey was my second choice behind door # 2 and I had no door # 3.

However since Wallace is no longer playing the most logical choice is Jordan Mickey.  The way I see it you cannot do worse.

Brad is going to have to experiment with a few options at SF.

Marcus is not an option at SF if he is assigned to check a wing with length.  

I would probably go with ET as the starter and have Marcus back up IT at the point.

Marcus was drafted as a PG and if he cannot play some time at the point then the only other option is the rookie Rosier.  

Again we are in a very precarious situation with Crowder out for an extended period of time.  There is no time to panic but there is also no time to create bad match ups for the team.  

We need size on size and speed on speed.

Tonight I think Smart can be matched up against Ross at SF

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:13 pm

dboss wrote:Gerald Wallace

In limited minutes he may have been able to provide defensive help on Durant.  

Mickey was my second choice behind door # 2 and I had no door # 3.

However since Wallace is no longer playing the most logical choice is Jordan Mickey.  The way I see it you cannot do worse.

Brad is going to have to experiment with a few options at SF.

Marcus is not an option at SF if he is assigned to check a wing with length.  

I would probably go with ET as the starter and have Marcus back up IT at the point.

Marcus was drafted as a PG and if he cannot play some time at the point then the only other option is the rookie Rosier.  

Again we are in a very precarious situation with Crowder out for an extended period of time.  There is no time to panic but there is also no time to create bad match ups for the team.  

We need size on size and speed on speed.

Tonight I think Smart can be matched up against Ross at SF

Dboss

dboss,

I'm not sure Wallace has the athleticism anymore to stay with Durant, but I definitely agree with you that Smart was a poor choice by Brad.

If ET starts then our 2nd unit offense will fall apart because Marcus Smart is not a point guard.  He's listed as one, played one at OK State, but he is not an NBA point guard.  If Kelly ever asserts himself, always the question-du-jour, then he could be a point forward.  What does it say that Kelly is a better floor general than Smart!?

This would bench Bradley, but I think we might need Smart's size on DeRozan.  Bradley is giving up 5" to him and we saw what happens when a defender gives up that much size to a scorer in the OKC game with Durant and Smart.

Danny is still assembling this team.  We were, and obviously still are, thin at 3 (or wing or whatever Brad calls them).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Marcus' offense is bad. Really bad. So we have a 'point guard' who is not a natural playmaker nor a natural scorer. Hustle and defense can only take you so far. Unless he improves, teams will sag off Marcus like they sagged off Rondo, and at least Rondo could partially compensate with his virtuoso playmaking. He just has to develop a decent jump shot, and soon.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Some bad basketball is being played and there is plenty of blame to spread aroynd..

This team is substantially different without Crowder.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down