SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day"

+5
kdp59
NYCelt
bobheckler
gyso
steve3344
9 posters

Go down

SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day" Empty SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day"

Post by steve3344 Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:17 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/4/4/11364844/amir-johnson-signing-looks-better-with-every-passing-day

Article calls it a "fantastic signing."

Not sure I'd use the word "fantastic." I'll use "solid." There have been streches of a bunch of games where we've thought, "Where's Amir?" but he's been a reliable defender and post presence all season which we sorely lacked last year. Offensively he's not much but no one expected him to be. So I'll say solid.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day" Empty Re: SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day"

Post by gyso Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:30 am

I believe we all to take the following into consideration when critiquing his play over the winter months:

A few weeks ago I wrote about the consistent late-game disappearances of Johnson from December through early March corresponding to his plantar fasciitis that developed around Christmas. It seemed like the condition wasn't going anywhere until the season ended, then near-miracle news came up within a week: he was feeling better.

After the team surpassed the 40 win mark of the 2014-15 squad, Johnson made the admission of the ailment that I suspected was still plaguing him:

Johnson downplayed any concerns until this weekend, when he finally admitted a bout with plantar fasciitis has bothered him more than he let on. In the same breath, he said he's feeling healthier now and no longer experiencing as much pain. It might be no coincidence that as he creeps closer to a clean slate of health, the big man has shown greater activity at both ends of the court.

gyso

Back to top Go down

SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day" Empty Re: SB Nation Celticblog: "Amir Johnson signing looks better with every passing day"

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:13 am

There was talk about Amir having plantar fasciitis earlier this season. What I don't understand is why, in the past couple of weeks or so, Brad hasn't given at least half his minutes to Mickey and let Amir give his foot a break.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:35 am

bobheckler wrote:There was talk about Amir having plantar fasciitis earlier this season.  What I don't understand is why, in the past couple of weeks or so, Brad hasn't given at least half his minutes to Mickey and let Amir give his foot a break.

bob

I agree.

With the season nearing an end and playoffs approaching, I also think it's time to get a longer look at Mickey to see if he fits in future plans.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:01 am

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:There was talk about Amir having plantar fasciitis earlier this season.  What I don't understand is why, in the past couple of weeks or so, Brad hasn't given at least half his minutes to Mickey and let Amir give his foot a break.

bob

I agree.

With the season nearing an end and playoffs approaching, I also think it's time to get a longer look at Mickey to see if he fits in future plans.

could be because Mickey still isn't as good a player as any of the others bigs on the roster and we are fighting for a playoff spot and seedings.

Rozier has developed into the top rookie from this years class. Mickey a d Hunter are locked on the deep bench, perhaps they improve thier games in the summer and wil earn playing time next year, time will tell.

and yes I felt the same way about the Amir signing and the rozier pick when they happened. thats why Danny is a REAL GM and I am a innernet gM.......LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 am

bob

I would ask why didn't Brad give Amir a rest and play Mickey more back in late December and into January when the push for the playoffs was further over the horizon. Amir is "better" now and the season is coming to an end, maybe that is why Brad is playing Amir now.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:09 pm

I was one of the few who praised the Rozier signing. Glad that's working out. He has Rondo like smarts when it comes to rebounding, an innate sense of geometry and physics - i.e. the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of refraction. Plus he has springs in his legs, a big plus, and a good handle. Let's hope his shot improves as did AB's.

The only thing I can say about the Jordan Mickey puzzle is perhaps he doesn't do well in practice. Otherwise I don't get why he is in so few NBA games.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 pm

W -

I also liked the Rozier pick, although I had preferred Jerian Grant.  It was a wise choice and filled a need.  I had expected to see more of him sooner than we have, and until IT's emergence, thought Rozier could be our future top point guard with Smart at 2.

From the start I thought Mickey and Hunter were long-shots, although fairly worthwhile gambles.  As it stands and from the little we know, I think Hunter is soon to be gone.  Mickey could join him as a former Celt, but it seemed he had a higher ceiling.  It might be good to see him get time here and now, in a year that we'll make the playoffs but likely not contend for a title.  If he costs us a game in this season's run-up, and that costs us a higher berth, the damage is probably pretty minor.

My guess, however, is that you're right about Mickey not showing enough in practice to warrant game time.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:10 pm

We have seen Mickey in a few games in short bursts and the impression that everyone had is that he does have some talent rebounding and blocking shots in particular.

Sometimes we get inside information about what is going on with a particular player but we have heard nothing about Mickey.

I have been disappointed that he has not had a chance to play. There is no time like playing on the court. Brad may not want to risk playing him in so many important games but i think that may be a mistake.

The Celtics may really need Mickey in the playoffs if the injury bug returns.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Not sure that we should start a rumor that Mickey might not be showing well in practice as Stevens has mentioned several times during the season about how hard this kid works and how much he has improved. Lets remember that he was a second round pick for a bunch of reasons. All the other teams passed on him in the first round as well so he may just need some time.

Perhaps he is just not good enough yet? With Johnson playing much better in the last month, he too can be lengthening the time that Mickey sits on the bench. Certainly, this kid has not gotten into the rotation yet, and there may be no need to force him into the rotation with only a handful of very meaningful games left in the regular season.

Mickey signed a contract that we are all very likely to love moving forward, and his play in the d league this year should serve him well towards making a strong run at earning rotation time for next season. And, even if he flops miserably he is/was still a cheap investment.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:24 pm

I love the kid and have faith he'll be a winner for us.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:25 pm

wideclyde wrote:Not sure that we should start a rumor that Mickey might not be showing well in practice as Stevens has mentioned several times during the season about how hard this kid works and how much he has improved.  Lets remember that he was a second round pick for a bunch of reasons.  All the other teams passed on him in the first round as well so he may just need some time.

Perhaps he is just not good enough yet?  With Johnson playing much better in the last month, he too can be lengthening the time that Mickey sits on the bench.  Certainly, this kid has not gotten into the rotation yet, and there may be no need to force him into the rotation with only a handful of very meaningful games left in the regular season.

Mickey signed a contract that we are all very likely to love moving forward, and his play in the d league this year should serve him well towards making a strong run at earning rotation time for next season.  And, even if he flops miserably he is/was still a cheap investment.

agree.....I think I'll trust the judgement of the ones that are in the trenches as to the decisions made to date. Manybe he will have a future here maybe he will be part of a deal to bring in a mid level star. Maybe .............. a lot of different things.

That said he does seem to make things happen when he's out there. Just wish as Bob H has pointed out numerous times, he was a little bit bigger !!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down