Prince RIP

+2
worcester
steve3344
6 posters

Go down

Prince RIP Empty Prince RIP

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Shocked that Prince died today. I was fortunate to be running a NY music club (Tramps) in the '90's that he liked to come and see shows at (Parliament/Funkadelic mainly) and because of that, he chose us to do two of his last minute, surprise concerts at where I had about eight hours to hire staff to that could work til 4 or 5AM, rent all the equipment he needed, and - before the internet - get an audience of at least 500 people to come and pay $50 to see the show so we both could make some money. Those happened in 1997 and 1998 and were amazing nights. Incredible shows. Taped 'em both without his permission or knowledge. He would've been pissed if he knew. Probably would have refused to go on.

Anyway here he is as a 5'2" point guard for his junior high school basketball team Wonder how his outside shot was...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/remembering-prince-s-junior-high-basketball-pic--effortless-cool-173103453.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Prince RIP Empty Re: Prince RIP

Post by worcester Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:03 am

You are one amazing dude Steve, not just because you created a superb NBA analytics program and were a music impresario but also since you knew Prince had played basketball. Charley Murphy - Eddy's brother - did a captivating segment on his time meeting Prince and getting absolutely smoked by him in a game of basketball. Who knew? We certainly will miss him. They're going to do an autopsy on Prince. One thing that'll reveal for sure: He did not die from a lack of beautiful women in his life.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am

The next New Yorker cover picture:

Prince RIP CoverStory-Staake-PurpleRain-690x942-1461274099

Appropriately, the song they are doing, as part of a George Harrison tribute, is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".  It's weeping purple tears today.  Prince's solo comes around the 3:30 mark...

There are multiple reports that Eric Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player alive, and he responded, "I don't know. Ask Prince."

Quartz points to an interview in which Miles Davis discussed Prince: “His father took him to see James Brown when he was young, he got on the stage and danced with him. He has that, he has Jimi Hendrix, and Marvin Gaye. ... He combines all that, all the time. That’s what he is. And his concept on the stage is like Charlie Chaplin." Davis later compared Prince to Brown, Gaye, Hendrix, and Chaplin again in his 1989 autobiography, this time adding Sly, Little Richard, and Duke Ellington to the mix. "I think Prince's music is pointing toward the future," he wrote.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Bob,

I watched that video last night. Take a look at George Harrison's son. He looks just so much like his dad did when he was young.

I spent last night watching one youtube Prince-related video after another, way past midnight. What a talent, he will be missed.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

God, if you didn't know he was dead you would swear it was Harrison, of course, too young looking. What a resemblance
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Rare footage of Prince's basketball skills:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/prince-loved-portrayed-dave-chappelle-233226496.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Rosalie,

When I first watched the tribute to George, I thought they super imposed old footage of George! There is an interesting video featuring Danni discussing finishing a bunch of his dads songs. (you can find it on you tube) Really nice kid.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum