gyso
NYCelt
beat
bobheckler
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should we still go after Horford?

Should we still go after Horford? Vote_lcap43%Should we still go after Horford? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]
Should we still go after Horford? Vote_lcap43%Should we still go after Horford? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]
Should we still go after Horford? Vote_lcap14%Should we still go after Horford? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

Should we still go after Horford? Empty Should we still go after Horford?

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Well, would you still want him?

Regular season/36mpg:

17.1 points
50.1% fg%
14.3 fgas
34.4% 3pt fg%
3.8 3pt fgas
79.8% ft%
1.8 ftas
8.2 rebounds
2.0 offensive rebounds
3.6 assists
1.5 TOs (2.4 assist-to-TO)
.9 steals
1.7 blocks

Playoffs/36mpg:

13.0 points
38.6% fg%
12.4 fgas
38.5% 3pt fg%
2.8 3pt fgas
91.7% ft%
2.6 ftas
10.2 rebounds total
2.8 offensive rebounds
4.1 assists
1.3 TOs (3.15 assists/TO)
1.3 steals
2.8 blocks

So, his scoring and fg% are WAY off but his rebounding, assist total and efficiency (assist-to-TO) are way up, as are his steals, rebounding and blocks.  His frito % is also way up.

Should we go after him? He is going to be asking for the max, or close to it I suspect.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Should we still go after Horford? Empty Re: Should we still go after Horford?

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Voted yes with out hesitation

BUT obviously it depends on who else may be out there.

That said It would be a very nice first move.....then others dominoes may fall right in line

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Voted no.

Horford is a nice player, and would improve the team without a doubt.

To me, however, he's got a lot of NBA miles on his 29-year old body.  I don't want to buy a max contract player who is already at his peak. If I have to pay max money, I want to buy a max player approaching his peak.

I'd like to see us build a team that competes for a number of years.  Having a top player who may only have a couple of more seasons at his present level doesn't send me.

I'd rather look for a younger vet, and also take a couple of shots at drafting bigs this year and next.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:42 pm

I said no. I like him a lot as a player, but from a "money ball" perspective, his production doesn't warrant a max salary. Also, as others have said, he is probably at/past his peak. If we can get him for less than max, or another star's signing depends on sign Horford, then that is a different story.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:51 pm

I voted yes but He would not be my # 1 target. i want to see the Celtics add a top end rim protector so I would still want Whiteside.

Al can stretch the floor and that is good but he is still an underside center that will struggle against bigger more physical centers.

The Celtics would be a better offense team with Al and a better defensive team with Whiteside. Al however is a good defender and rebounder so he is more well rounded than Whiteside. Whiteside is just a flat out beast on D. Plus Whiteside is young and I could see a long run with Boston.

I would be happy to either one of them but for different reasons.

dboss

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:01 pm

I voted "Other". I would like Horford, but for a salary slightly south of max. Teams that pay max money for not-max players wallow in the limbo between contention and the 6th thru 8th playoff seed.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:34 pm

I voted other. Bring him aboard only if and when the Celtics already have an all NBA  performer, with multiple years as an all league player, on the roster. Danny has plenty of chips to work with over the next few years so there isn't any need to rush into a deal where the window of opportunity could possibly be only short range. I agree with NYCelts below comment.

"I'd like to see us build a team that competes for a number of years.  Having a top player who may only have a couple of more seasons at his present level doesn't send me."

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:46 pm

So he "may" only have a couple years left???

Big deal re his age............we can't win with a 25 and under team. He is a piece that is a whole lot better than anything we have right now for his size.
When we acquired DJ he was 29,
when we got Parish he was 27,
Ray Allen was 32
KG was 31
Believe he can play at this level for several more years and if we get ....other horses to pull the cart along with him he will be fine.

I have no issue with the age........price "might" be another matter though

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:16 pm

beat wrote:So he "may" only have a couple years left???

Big deal re his age............we can't win with a 25 and under team. He is a piece that is a whole lot better than anything we have right now for his size.
Ray Allen was 32
KG was 31
Believe he can play at this level for several more years and if we get  ....other horses to pull the cart along with him he will be fine.

beat

Sure beat, sure.  Now that we're over 50, you have no issue with age!

I'm sticking to that 50 is the new 30 thing; how about you?

As for the players...

Although I wouldn't change a thing about our acquisitions of KG and Allen, I wouldn't want to go that same route again.  Too short a window and KG was already starting to decline.  '07 - '08 was really KG's only year with us where he was still close to his peak.  If we had other strong veterans already aboard, some with an extended career ahead like when we brought in DJ, maybe.

It could be getting older is bringing on a certain amount of ageism in me.  I think I'll go yell at some kids to get off my lawn.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi,
I voted yes.
Besides the fact that he is one of the better centers, he is perceived as such by many players. This will help to bring a star into the green. I'm still dreaming of AH+KD on the Celtics roster... and don't you dare to wake me up...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:29 pm

NYCelt wrote:

Ray Allen was 32
KG was 31
Believe he can play at this level for several more years and if we get  ....other horses to pull the cart along with him he will be fine.

beat

Sure beat, sure.  Now that we're over 50, you have no issue with age!

I'm sticking to that 50 is the new 30 thing; how about you?

As for the players...

Although I wouldn't change a thing about our acquisitions of KG and Allen, I wouldn't want to go that same route again.  Too short a window and KG was already starting to decline.  '07 - '08 was really KG's only year with us where he was still close to his peak.  If we had other strong veterans already aboard, some with an extended career ahead like when we brought in DJ, maybe.

It could be getting older is bringing on a certain amount of ageism in me.  I think I'll go yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

YET we could have easily won 3 in those years too............injuries happen..........doesn't matter the age. Horford has missed large chunks of 2 seasons already in his career.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Ray Allen was 32
KG was 31

beat

When we got DJ 3 all-nba players were already on the roster. (Bird, Archibald and Parish)
When we got Parish 2 all-nba players were on the roster. (Bird and Archibald)
When we got Allen and Garnett 1 all-nba player was on the roster (Pierce)

The Pierce - Allen - Garnett trio brought 1 championship to Boston.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

swish wrote:I voted other. Bring him aboard only if and when the Celtics already have an all NBA  performer, with multiple years as an all league player, on the roster. Danny has plenty of chips to work with over the next few years so there isn't any need to rush into a deal where the window of opportunity could possibly be only short range. I agree with NYCelts below comment.

"I'd like to see us build a team that competes for a number of years.  Having a top player who may only have a couple of more seasons at his present level doesn't send me."

swish

Swish,

Did you vote "other" or just think it? LOL. There is only one vote showing for that option.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

gyso wrote:
swish wrote:I voted other. Bring him aboard only if and when the Celtics already have an all NBA  performer, with multiple years as an all league player, on the roster. Danny has plenty of chips to work with over the next few years so there isn't any need to rush into a deal where the window of opportunity could possibly be only short range. I agree with NYCelts below comment.

swish

Swish,

Did you vote "other" or just think it?  LOL.  There is only one vote showing for that option.

I voted other.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:43 pm

This is a very complicated question.
This summer will be like nothing that we have seen before because of the glut of cap space that will be available.
Horford will get $20+m per year from some team.
If Boston can't get Durant or Whiteside, then I think they should try to sign Horford to a big contract.
Last year teams were fighting over players like Greg Monroe and Tobias Harris.
This year the fury will be much greater because the majority teams will have the cap space to sign at least 1 max player.
With the minimum team salary rising to about $82m, teams will almost be begging skilled players to sign with them.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:46 pm

trade the Nets pick for Andre Drummond in a sign and trade instead.

hell trade ALL the nets picks.

Cool

just a thought.

oh yeah and sign Bazemore for about half what Horford will cost also.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 am

swish wrote:

Ray Allen was 32
KG was 31

beat

When we got DJ 3 all-nba players were already on the roster. (Bird, Archibald and Parish)
When we got Parish 2 all-nba players were on the roster. (Bird and Archibald)
When we got Allen and Garnett 1 all-nba player was on the roster (Pierce)

The Pierce - Allen - Garnett trio brought 1 championship to Boston.

swish

the team we have now is a hellava lot better than the 2007 team by a mile !!!!
And yes the trio of Pierce only got one but competed for others and could have just as well had 2 more.

Horford would be a big upgrade and a great start.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:45 am

I agree with Beat in that Horford will be a big upgrade to the Cs for probably 3 of the 4 years that his contract will cover.

He may not have been a max contract player a few years ago, but certainly will be this off season. So, I see Horford as an unselfish, determined player who performs many skills well and who certainly will fill some of the needs that currently exist on our team. He is also a player that will only cost money and not picks or other players.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 am

wideclyde wrote:I agree with Beat in that Horford will be a big upgrade to the Cs for probably 3 of the 4 years that his contract will cover.

He may not have been a max contract player a few years ago, but certainly will be this off season.  So, I see Horford as an unselfish, determined player who performs many skills well and who certainly will fill some of the needs that currently exist on our team.  He is also a player that will only cost money and not picks or other players.

That last bit, not costing picks or other players, is actually a very good reason to go for him. If his salary allows us to also get Durant, I say go for it.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:55 am

kdp, I'm with you, Get Drummond.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:45 pm

worcester wrote:kdp, I'm with you, Get Drummond.

and his inability to stay late in a game cause Stevie Wonder could make about as many foul shots..........

nope pass in my book.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Drummond not only cannot make free throws, but he is also going to cost at least three of our young players (to make salaries work in a trade) plus the Nets pick. There will not be a trade for Drummond with only giving up the Nets pick.

Not that Drummond is not a good player, but I like our current roster even though I know that some of these guys will have to be removed from the roster each year. Just really don't like having to give up three or four of our best young guys and the best draft spot the Cs have had in quite a long time to get one guy like Drummond.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Get the super stars first ( spend the big bucks on them) then fill in the roster as needed.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Interesting comments about Horford from a few months ago.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:21 pm

I think Celtics fans are in for a treat.

Horford is a multi-skilled big that is a perfect fit for the team.

what I like most is that we did not have to part with assets to get him.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next