Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach

3 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach Empty Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach

Post by bobheckler Tue May 10, 2016 9:56 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4723086/brad-stevens-free-agent-sales-pitch-more-about-banners-than-coach

Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach

Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1205%2Fr33380_1296x518_5%2D2
Celtics coach Brad Stevens on tradition: "I'm a basketball guy. I love the game and I love the history and the tradition of the game." AP Photo/Eric Gay

8:08 AM ET

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens seems flattered when it's suggested to him that free agents might consider Boston as a destination because of his presence, but he firmly believes that the 17 championship banners that hang above the TD Garden floor are the team's biggest attraction.

During an interview with Boston sports radio WEEI on Monday, Stevens said he'll be part of Boston's recruitment of top free agents this summer, but suggested that the sales pitch is more likely to focus on how those players could help restore Boston to championship contender and be part of the Celtics' tradition.

"I’ll play an active role. I’ll do anything I can as far as meeting with guys, calling guys, whatever I can after the July 1 time frame when we’re given the go-ahead to meet with those guys," Stevens told the "Dale and Holley" program. "The best selling point, I would say that I’m probably not near that. I think that the tradition, the history, the city, the way that the city embrace[s] the Celtics, the way that our players feel about being Celtics, the amount of pride they’ve taken in that and, this group in particular, how thankful they’ve been to get a chance to play in front of these fans and in this place where, again, those banners hang above you. To me, that’s the top of the list."

Stevens noted how the history and tradition of the Celtics were a big part of what drew him to the team in 2013.

"I’m a basketball guy. I love the game and I love the history and the tradition of the game," said Stevens. "And maybe that just means even more to me, but I think it means a lot to a lot of people. Certainly, there are other factors involved when, ultimately, free agents have to chose a place to play. But, for me, those were a lot of the things that flattered me about being asked to be the coach here."

That notion calls to mind some of the quotes from Kevin Durant when Oklahoma City visited Boston in March. Durant, who will headline July's free-agent marketplace, noted "You can feel the tradition walking in [TD Garden]. ... The tradition of being a Boston Celtics is second to none."

Stevens noted how, with the salary cap set to spike, plenty of teams will have the ability to spend on free agents this summer. He's hopeful that Boston's tradition -- and the progress the team has shown in trying to climb back towards contender status over the past 18 months -- will encourage top talent to consider Boston over other possible destinations.

Stevens will draw on his old recruiting game plan from when he was at Butler University.

"I think the biggest thing is that it’s each individual person. So, for me, in recruiting it was find out what makes each individual tick and what makes each individual -- what separates your situation for that individual and go from there," said Stevens. "I do think -- and I found this when I was at Butler especially -- at Butler it was a little bit different then, obviously, we didn’t have the history and tradition relative to level that the Celtics have. But I always felt like, if somebody chose us, they were choosing us for all the right reasons. And, ultimately, if they liked where we played, which is a gym built in 1928, which is Hinkle Fieldhouse, I felt like they had an appreciation for tradition and history of the game. And if you have that, then team is important. And then collective achievement is important. If you have that, then you obviously have a guy you want in your locker room."

bob
MY NOTE:  With all due respect to the eminently humble Brad Stevens, I disagree.  I think many of today's players care about the Russell and Cowens Celtics as much as they care about the Kennedy Assassination (and they don't care about the Kennedy Assassination).  They care about money and they care about winning.  If the most important thing was tradition then LaMarcus Aldridge would have signed with the Lakers.  You have to have a pitch that resonates with the player.  Fortunately, Brad has elevated us from a 25 win team to a 48 team win in 2 years.  We have earned a reputation for being a team you do NOT want to play.  He has earned a reputation for being a great ATO coach who gets the most out of his talent.  I think the screaming lunatics who scream 'DEFENSE!' whether the team is up 20 or down 20 is more impactful on today's players than banners from yesteryear.  It's nice of Brad to defer credit and to embrace The Mystique, but I believe his always-team-first approach will have more of an impact than the parquet itself.

And I'm just fine with that.  Whatever works.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach Empty Re: Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach

Post by gyso Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 pm

I think that Celtics fans, both at home and at other venues, may have gotten the attention of today's players. The players come into the TD Garden and hear the roar that doesn't happen at their team's home arena. How many "Let's Go Celtics!!" chants do they hear in their own team's arena?

How many times do the players play to a full house? When they come to Boston, the place is usually full, even on a cold Wednesday night in January. Who doesn't want to play in front of fans who respond to them in that way?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach Empty Re: Brad Stevens: Free-agent sales pitch more about banners than coach

Post by wideclyde Tue May 10, 2016 2:11 pm

The "culture" of the Cs, in the present time, is very much completely tied to Coach Stevens and his staff just like the culture during the Garnett and Pierce years was formed by Doc Rivers and Red Auerbach formed the culture of our franchise way back in the day.

Of course, the league can see the difference in the Cs from three years ago and right now. Any guy who cannot see this difference would not be welcome to the Cs, in my opinion. At least I would not want him.

If any guy does not yet "know what is going on with our team" just needs to go elsewhere. Have anysuch guys just been sleeping for the last three years?

Coming to Boston is making a commitment to play with the same enthusiasm and as part of a true team like so many of the current Cs do. Play perhaps better with your higher skill set, but be ready to play like Crowder, Thomas, Bradley, etc, etc, etc and not complain like Zerebko, Zeller, Turner, etc, etc. because this is what Stevens, his staff, his team, our ownership and our fans want have you play like.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down