Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017

4 posters

Go down

Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017 Empty Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017

Post by arambone Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Kevin Durant is setting up his meetings: Thunder, Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Celtics and Heat.

Word is already leaking about the approach the superstar and his courters will take.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports on CBS Sports Radio:

I think that Oklahoma City remains the frontrunner – and I think a strong frontrunner.

I’m told even if he left, he would do a one-year deal somewhere. Because economically, it makes sense for him to do a one-year deal and then do the longer deal after it. It’ll be worth more money because the cap goes up again next year. But Oklahoma City is a frontrunner. They’re a strong frontrunner.

The one thing about the KD meetings – and I’ve gotten this from several teams – a lot of them really see it more as they probably, listen, they’d love to get him now, but they kind of feel like they’re planting the seed and laying the groundwork for next year. They all know he’s likely to stay in OKC – or certainly, it’s going to be hard to convince him to leave. They feel like they’re laying the groundwork for the 2017 free agency by getting in front of him now, telling the story of their organization and how they view his future with them, and that maybe they get another crack at him next summer.

I’m extremely skeptical Durant would sign a 1+1 contract anywhere but Oklahoma City. Every other team would need to carve out cap space to sign him to his max salary in 2017 (unless a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is ratified with different rules).

How can another team clear cap room for Durant this summer, build a competitive roster for 2016-17 and still have max cap room in 2017? If it’s not unfeasible, it’s close.

The Thunder are different, because they’d have his Bird Rights in 2017 after a one-year contract. They wouldn’t need cap space to give him his max next summer.

I do believe that teams – especially the Heat (dealing with Hassan Whiteside and Dwyane this summer), Celtics (not yet added another complementary star) and Clippers (minimal roster flexibility) – will push for Durant to become a free agent again in 2017. Durant’s re-signing with Oklahoma City on a one-year contract must be a lot of teams’ second choice over him choosing them.

That’s not true for the Warriors, the consensus No. 2 in the race. They can create cap room this summer, and if Durant doesn’t come, they’ll have to invest in longer-term options. They’re too good to put everything on hold another year (which is why them signing him to a 1+1 and leaving max 2017 cap space for him is practically unworkable).

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/06/27/report-kevin-durant-would-sign-one-year-contract-even-if-leaving-thunder-other-teams-preparing-for-2017/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

arambone

Back to top Go down

Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017 Empty Re: Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017

Post by arambone Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm guessing he signs with OKC or the Knicks. I think the Knicks have a better chance than people realize.

Signing a New York rapper, Jay-Z, who had zero experience as an agent was the first hint.

Durant has stressed that he wants to have fun playing basketball, and that's not something he would say if he was having fun in OKC. He's good friends with Melo and DRose, and NYC is a lot of fun too.

NYC is also the biggest market in the US. Kobe had L.A., LeBron had Miami and Cleveland, Durant could steal a lot of that attention and glory by signing with the Knicks and making NYC his town.

DRose comes off the books next summer, so if the Knicks aren't highly competitive (with Durant on the team) this year, they can replace Rose next year with a legit superstar to form a Big 3 with Durant and Melo.

Porzingis.

Playing in the Atlantic and the East would be easier than what he has to deal with out west. He can beat up on the Nets and 76ers, and the Celtics still don't truly have anybody who can contain Durant either, even after drafting Brown. I'm not sure the Raptors do either.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017 Empty Re: Report: Kevin Durant would sign one-year contract even if leaving Thunder, other teams preparing for 2017

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

My money is on:

1.  Durant signing a one-year contract with OKC.  He'll give the OKC fans one more year of Westbrook and Durant making a run.

2.  Durant staying with OKC after that year is up IF Westbrook stays in OKC.

3.  Durant leaving OKC after that year is up if Westbrook leaves OKC.

4.  The Celtics being next to OKC at the pole position.  We don't have to clear cap space, we don't have to find buyers of some of our players in a short time frame to make room for KD.  We need another star, but we have the money to do it without gutting our team. Also, we are in the EC, which has an easier path to the Finals than the WC. Our EC competition in this is Miami. DWade is 34 and Bosh is medically questionable. They will struggle to sign Whiteside AND Durant and Miami without Whiteside is NOT a team Durant should want to go to. Pat Riley is definitely going to try and lay the groundwork for 2017 and use 2016 to get Bosh to retire and free up the cap space. Of course, that would make DWade 35 in 2017 too, and on his last knees.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Bob, I concur with your analysis of Durant's likely moves. Re Horford, he'd probably cost twice as much as Noah. If we don't get Al, I'd like us to sign Joachim.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:25 am

Bob,

I have to agree to disagree.  Everyone knows that top dollar is a year away for everyone with the new revenue sharing , so I think Durant tests the waters with another team to see if he likes the teams system/coach/organization.  If he likes it, he signs for the max.  He is not getting any younger and so this is the time where he needs to determine where his long term roots will be in a year.

Staying in OKC accomplishes nothing for him regarding a learning experience about other organizations he is considering.  I think the Celtics just may find him to be interested in them, especially if they can grab Horford and another key player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down