Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard

+4
Ram
worcester
bobheckler
Shamrock1000
8 posters

Go down

Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard Empty Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:57 am

Don't shoot the messenger....

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/6/29/12057398/boston-celtics-scheduled-face-to-face-meeting-with-free-agent-center

Dwight Howard has scheduled face-to-face meetings after July 1 with the Boston Celtics and Atlanta Hawks, according to ESPN. Howard is past his prime, but still has plenty he can offer.

The Celtics ranked fourth in defensive rating last season and Howard's presence would take them to an even higher level. Howard is still one of the NBA's best rim protectors and shot blockers, and he'd likely improve individually playing behind the likes of Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, and Jae Crowder.

Howard's interior defense would also be beneficial against Eastern Conference behemoths like Andre Drummond, Jonas Valanciunas, Nikola Vucevic, and Myles Turner.

The Celtics might've had a tremendous defense last season, but they ranked 25th in defensive rebounding percentage. Howard would provide an immediate boost, since he's still an elite rebounder.

Howard would operate as a mistake eraser in the paint and finish a chunk of possessions by securing rebounds. Those skills alone would help the Celtics.

Howard has never really bought into being a rim-runner/roll man in pick-and-roll situations, always insisting on being a classic low post scorer. But if he does adapt to the modern NBA and become more of a rim runner, he'd personally benefit as a player -- and he'd help the team he signs with.

"This will be my last chance for a really big contract. If I am utilized the right way, I know what I can do for a team, a city, a franchise," Howard recently told ESPN's Jackie MacMullan. "I know my worth, and I will bust my butt this summer to show my worth to everyone.''

Howard is capable of finishing lobs athletically, making him a potential great pairing with Isaiah Thomas. The mere threat of that would force defenses to collapse into the paint, giving spot up shooters a little more space to fire away.

There's also the salary factor for the Celtics. Assuming they don't sign Kevin Durant, they'll have approximately only $40 million in guaranteed salaries. For teams that don't reach the minimum salary threshold (about $85 million this year), they must pay a "penalty." The punishment for falling short of the salary floor is that teams get charged up to that amount and the excess amount is divided amongst the existing players on the roster.

While that "penalty" isn't that big of a deal, since it'd operate as a bonus, signing Howard to a two-year maximum deal with an opt-out in 2017 (about $30 million per) would move them closer to the minimum while giving them a great deal of flexibility. Not only would Howard help the team this year, but his non-guaranteed contract for 2017 would allow them to use him as a trade asset leading up to free agency.

One potential approach for the Celtics this summer is to essentially do nothing and roll with a young roster. But as it stands, Kelly Olynyk and Jordan Mickey are the only bigs on the roster. They need to add someone to at least remain competitive, and there'd still be plenty of minutes available for the young players.

Dwight Howard doesn't need to be Superman anymore. But he still has plenty he can offer in the form of rim protection, rebounding, and rim running

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard Empty Re: Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:07 am

Just shoot me now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard Empty Re: Report: Celtics scheduled face-to-face meeting with free agent center Dwight Howard

Post by worcester Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Ok come on Bob. It's not a life ending bad thought. Sam would always say he doesn't care what getting a player would cost. Not counting cost, we'd rather have Howard than Zeller, right? Actually I still would prefer Noah at half or a third of Howard's price and also pick up another FA.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:48 pm

If they are going to pursue Howard they better be paying him the same over 4 years as Horford would be costing. 

I'd much rather have Horford at 4/90 than Howard at 2/65.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 pm

worcester wrote:Ok come on Bob. It's not a life ending bad thought. Sam would always say he doesn't care what getting a player would cost. Not counting cost, we'd rather have Howard than Zeller, right? Actually I still would prefer Noah at half or a third of Howard's price and also pick up another FA.

worcester,

I'm not thinking about the money, I'm thinking about his frito shooting and clown-like attitude. He is at least as much of a locker room cancer as Cousins is. At least Cousins' bad 'tude comes from hating to lose, Howard's comes from thinking it's about wearing a leotard and cape. Cousins would kill, or as Jaylen Brown said "rip someone's head off", to win. Howard hasn't shown me that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:Just shoot me now.

bob

Hi,
I'd rather DH be shot...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Maybe Dwight's true purpose on this earth is leveling the playing field of the NBA. He initiated the fall of the Lakers, the second most storied franchise in the NBA, and is now targeting the most storied franchise in the NBA.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Good points Bob and Shamrock
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Risk vs cost -- I'll pass on this one until I know the cost.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Howard, Whiteside and Horford are 3 players that are possibilities

I think Howard still has enough to help the Celtics and I would not hesitate to get him because he can still score rebound and play defense.

While he is being criticized for the Lakers fall the numbers certainly do not support that notion (76 games played, 38.8 MPG, 17.1 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 2.4 Blocks per game)

My preferences would be Whiteside, Horford and Howard.  Horford can shoot from the outside But Howard is still a longer rim protector that has NEVER had the type of Guard and wing defenders on any of his teams.  I think he would fit in quite well.

I think a meeting makes a lot of sense.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

I bet Danny is talking at length with Kevin McHale about Howard. If Kevin says stay away, Danny will. If not, Dwight may become a Celtic.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:05 pm

According to Kurt Helin, the meeting is set for 7/1, Friday.  Atlanta, his hometown, and Boston.  He is expected to meet with up to 3 more after that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:02 pm

If the Cs are indeed going to look at Howard they need to have I. Thomas in the room when Howard visits to tell Howard what will be expected of him as player on a Brad Stevens coached team.

Of course, Howard's response needs to be carefully broken down and fully analyzed. I guess this guy could make some changes in his behaviors, but he will have to be guided well to fit into what the Cs are doing.

Coaches and GMs can convey such a message, but it will either sink in or get rejected better if it comes from the team's best player, in my opinion.

This guy needs to learn his role, shut his mouth, keep working and learn how a good team on the rise conducts itself.

Physically, he may have enough left, but if he cannot fully buy into what Cs basketball is doing he should not be signed to even a five minute contract.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:19 pm

It might make sense if Howard would sign a one or two year deal. If we strike out with Horford and Durant, then having Howard would make us a top defense and loosen up our offense - even with diminishing skills, he will have to be respected in the post, thus freeing up our shooters a little. The Celtics would thus improve next year without tying up dollars long term or giving up any assets, thus making the Celtics more attractive to top players. They do have to reach whatever the salry floor is, and signing Howard would allow them to reach that floor and improve as a team/destination, but without long term committment.

Problem is, why on earth woulf Howard leave the Rockets a year early just to sign a one or two year deal? He can't honestly be looking for a short contract to show he's still got it and then get one last long-term max like deal.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Adam Himmelsbach –  ‏@AdamHimmelsbach

Regarding Dwight Howard, hearing that right now Celtics have no plans for aggressive pursuit. Will always listen to see if a price is right.
10:51 AM - 29 Jun 2016
109 RETWEETS114 LIKES

bob
MY NOTE:  It's nice being pursued.  Even better when we say "thanks but no thanks".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:Adam Himmelsbach –  ‏@AdamHimmelsbach

Regarding Dwight Howard, hearing that right now Celtics have no plans for aggressive pursuit. Will always listen to see if a price is right.
109 RETWEETS114 LIKES

bob
MY NOTE:  It's nice being pursued.  Even better when we say "thanks but no thanks".

I don't know who Adam Himmelsbach is, but I really doubt Danny would allow his true intentions to leak out at this stage of the game.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Adam Himmelsbach –  ‏@AdamHimmelsbach

109 RETWEETS114 LIKES

bob

I don't know who Adam Himmelsbach is, but I really doubt Danny would allow his true intentions to leak out at this stage of the game.

Shamrock,

He's the Boston Globe beat writer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Calvin Watkins: Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million. 4 mins ago – via ESPN.com

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down