k_j_88
wideclyde
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nets on the clock Empty Nets on the clock

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:09 pm

As are Miami and Portland:

http://www.netsdaily.com/2016/7/10/12139180/brooklyn-nets-have-a-date-with-destiny-at-midnight-or-11-59-p-m

6 hours and 50 minutes to go.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Nets on the clock Empty Re: Nets on the clock

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:46 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski – Verified account ‏@WojVerticalNBA

The Portland Trail Blazers have matched Allen Crabbe's four-year, $75M offer sheet with Brooklyn, league source tells @TheVertical.
2:07 PM - 10 Jul 2016
1,093 RETWEETS977 LIKES

bob
MY NOTE:  rumor is that Miami may match Nets offer to Tyler Johnson.  If they do then Nets added bupkiss this summer.  #BillyKing4President
#SeanMarks4VicePresident

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:53 pm

We all are hoping that the Nets have a roster full of summer league second stringers for the next two seasons.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Chris Forsberg
@ESPNForsberg 4 minutes ago
Ainge: Jared, wanna help the Celtics AND get a big contract? Sullinger: Absolutely! Ainge: Great. You should hear from the Nets soon.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:20 pm

The Vertical – Verified account ‏@TheVertical

Sources: Heat match Tyler Johnson $50M offer sheet, @WojVerticalNBA reports:  http://yhoo.it/29qjRWI

Brian Robb
Brian Robb
@CelticsHub about 1 hour ago
Current Nets depth chart: PG: Lin, Levert SG: Bogdanovic SF: Hollis-Jefferson, Kilpatrick PF: Booker, McCullough C: Lopez, Hamilton Yikes.

Reply Retweet Like

bob
MY NOTE:  And the dumpster fire that is the Brooklyn Nets is still raging out of control with no indication of burning out anytime soon.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:16 pm

bobheckler wrote:The Vertical – Verified account ‏@TheVertical

Sources: Heat match Tyler Johnson $50M offer sheet, @WojVerticalNBA reports:  http://yhoo.it/29qjRWI

Brian Robb
Brian Robb
@CelticsHub about 1 hour ago
Current Nets depth chart: PG: Lin, Levert SG: Bogdanovic SF: Hollis-Jefferson, Kilpatrick PF: Booker, McCullough C: Lopez, Hamilton Yikes.

Reply Retweet Like

bob
MY NOTE:  And the dumpster fire that is the Brooklyn Nets is still raging out of control with no indication of burning out anytime soon.

Not familiar with that guy Hamilton Yikes. He any good?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:29 pm

Maybe this will teach them not to trade all of their picks?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Nets offseason plans "crumbled."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-lose-allen-crabbe-portland-blazers-match-offer-sheet-article-1.2706536

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:48 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--heat-match-tyler-johnson-offer-sheet-224148957.html

I'm really surprised Miami matched Tyler Johnson's offer sheet from the Nets. A LOT of money tied up in his final two years:

"Johnson’s contract included $18 million-plus and $19 million-plus “poison pill” provisions in years three and four of the deal. They were designed to severely puncture the Heat’s salary cap and dissuade president Pat Riley from retaining Johnson. Nevertheless, Miami was determined to hold on to a young guard that it had plucked out of the NBA Development League and continued to develop in the Heat system.

For Johnson, the contract represents one of the most rapid financial ascensions in recent league history: From an undrafted D-League guard in 2015, to participating in only 68 games over parts of the past two seasons, to a staggering market deal."

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Well, I guess Jared might be getting a phone call from the Nets.

I just do not understand why Lopez did not demand a trade, he is wasting his career away in Brooklyn
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:22 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Well, I guess Jared might be getting a phone call from the Nets.

I just do not understand why Lopez did not demand a trade, he is wasting his career away in Brooklyn

Rosalie,

The summer is still young.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 am

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojVerticalNBA
Free agent guard Greivis Vasquez has agreed to a one-year deal with Brooklyn, league sources tell @TheVertical.
6:44 PM - 10 Jul 2016
 645 645 Retweets   655 655 likes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:21 am

It looks like Dion Waiters could get a contract offer from the Nets.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brooklyn tries to make a trade for Ricky Rubio.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:46 am

tjmakz wrote:It looks like Dion Waiters could get a contract offer from the Nets.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brooklyn tries to make a trade for Ricky Rubio.

TJ,

What/who would they offer Minny for Rubio?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:47 am

Bob! Even Up
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:01 am

The Nets are just plain ☆☆☆☆ed going into the 16/17 season.

That trade could end up being one of the more lopsided deals in recent memory.. (recent being in whole history of the league)
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:10 am

? You didn't like my trade? I thought it was generous, Bob is such a basketball guru
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:19 pm

http://www.netsdaily.com/2016/7/11/12148036/jeremy-lin-attracted-by-brooklyn-nets-blank-slate

Jeremy Lin: Attracted by Brooklyn Nets "blank slate"

By Net Income  @NetsDaily on Jul 11, 2016, 9:12a 9

In a video of his extended comments from Saturday's media scrum, Jeremy Lin spoke about what he liked in the Nets pitch to him last week.  While others may be scared off by the changes in the organization, Lin embraced them.

"We talked a lot about culture and establishing a kind of identity and work ethic," Lin said of his talk with the Nets brass. "And I just want help in terms of that and ... it's kind of a blank slate for the organization in a lot of ways, bringing in a new GM and a new coach and I want to be part of that."

Lin also said he will not be driven by others expectations, particularly those associated with LinSanity.

"I'm so far past that," he said of his 2012 run as a New York Knick. "From the outside, really during the season, I don't read anything, tweets or comments or articles or what this commentator said. So expectations are going to be the same for me.and i'm going to go in and keep my mind right. play for God and I think the last couple of years, I've been able to live with the results.

"I played, I think, the right way and that's the way I want to play in Brooklyn."

On his role as an Asian-American player, Lin said that if he does well, people "won't be so quick to discount Asian players in the future."

bob
MY NOTE:  Attracted to their "blank slate"?  That's like saying "Amnesia is appealing because you get to learn everything all over again". I'm attracted to their blank slate too, just not for the same reasons he is.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Tabula rasa has its limitations when trying to establish a basketball culture based on winning traditions.
Are the Nets also going to try to get sportswriters to forget the Herschel Walker trade too? That's the closest in comparison.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/10/report-heat-matching-nets-50-million-offer-sheet-for-tyler-johnson-after-trading-for-pelicans-luke-babbitt/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski: Free agent forward Luis Scola has agreed to a one-year deal with the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told @The Vertical. – via Twitter WojVerticalNBA

bob
MY NOTE:  The good part about being "the best player under the rim", as Scola's agent refers to him as, is that you don't have to worry about loss of athleticism at age 36.  Damn.  I like Luis Scola, I would rather that he had signed somewhere else.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:49 pm

The value of the Nets pick has never looked better.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrooklynNets/status/755846031753875458/photo/1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Couldn't Scolia find another, better team to overpay him. He is now stuck in no mans land. Too bad, I love his game as I know you do Bob. He is always a thorn in the Celtics side. But, at his age, what is left????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:02 pm

lol!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:56 pm

http://www.netsdaily.com/2016/7/23/12262386/trail-blazers-waited-until-final-day-to-punish-the-nets-on-crabbe

Trail Blazers waited until final day to "punish" the Nets on Crabbe offer sheet

By Net Income  @NetsDaily

on Jul 23, 2016, 9:30a 181

Nets on the clock 326bb021e453ac3d892d1c9a8bfdd05c
Godofredo Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Trail Blazers GM Neil Olshey said Friday he and Blazers ownership deliberately waited until the third and final day of the matching period on Allen Crabbe to "punish" the Nets. Reading between the lines, it appears that Portland knew it would match on Crabbe, but held off until just before the end of the three-day deadline to inform the Nets ... and Crabbe.

As reported by SB Nation's Blazers Edge...

"It was definitely a stressful free agency, not for the fact that we got the contract but not knowing where I was going to be," Crabbe said. "I knew how much Portland valued me. But they waited until the third day, the last day."

"That was to punish the (Nets) not you," Olshey quickly interjected.

Olshey did build up the drama a little bit, something he's done before in a situation he referenced Friday with DeAndre Jordan during his time with the Clippers.

"I got the phone call from Neil, he didn’t straight up say we are matching, he built up the story," Crabbe told reporters. "He told me we were going to match."

Here's the video of the full press conference...

Sean Marks was very aggressive in constructing an offer sheet that he hoped would cause the Blazers to think twice before matching.

The Nets loaded up Crabbe's offer sheet with a variety of disincentives for Portland and owner Paul Allen to match, starting with the $75 million contract, but also payment advances, a trade kicker, performance bonuses that are unlikely with the Nets, but likely with the Blazers (like wins), etc. Not to mention how it would effect the Blazers team balance going forward.

Still, with all that, Allen decided to pay the piper and deny the Nets the player they had hoped to start next to Jeremy Lin.

Tendering an offer sheet for a player ties up cap space for three days, limiting a team's flexibility to move on other deals. However, the Nets had so much cap space it didn't matter that much.

It's the second time in a week where a GM of a another team has indicated an unhappiness with the Nets use of offer sheets to sign restricted free agents. Pat Riley made it clear last weekend that Micky Arison, the Heat owner, made the decision to match the Nets $50 million offer sheet on Tyler Johnson. "Micky said, 'You're not poaching any of my guys,' " Riley related, recalling a conversation Arison had with Nets brass.

As for Marks, he has not regrets. "We didn't get the two guys we put offer sheets on, but that's O.K.," said Marks on Wednesday.  "We obviously knew we were doing the right thing because their teams matched. So that was something there."

bob
MY NOTE:  A couple of thoughts on this:

1.  Now we know why nobody made offers to Sully while he was still restricted or to Zeller.  Apparently, there is some unwritten "gentleman's agreement" among GMs that you "just do not do that", you just don't put one of your peers over a barrel like that.  Sean Marks, being a new-to-the-biz GM, didn't know that.  Well, he knows it now.

2.  This mistake by Marks has made the Nets pick look even better for next year and, depending upon how much lingering resentment exists, maybe even will carry over through next year and the off-season.  Then the 2018 Nets pick will look good too.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next