Ram
cowens/oldschool
mulcogiseng
wideclyde
steve3344
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League" Empty "Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League"

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:02 am

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016/7/16/12205398/guerschon-yabusele-boston-celtics-summer-league

Yaba is an intriguing player. We certainly picked him higher than anyone thought he'd go so if he doesn't make it, it will be a costly mistake as there were other quality players available.

Hope he keeps his weight in check. We usually read that he's 260 (and NBA.com lists that weight) but oddly, his Wikipedia page says 240 and lists his height at 6'8", an inch taller than most other sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerschon_Yabusele

steve3344

Back to top Go down

"Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League" Empty Re: "Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League"

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 am

Although he has only been on TV a few times so far, I fear that this guy may just not be tall enough (like Sullinger) to play defense against considerably taller players.

He appears quicker than Sullinger and seems to has much better outside shot mechanics so he may just not play much center which means that we are still searching for a center.

It has nothing to do with Yabusele, but I was hoping that the Cs would have drafted a center with their second pick in the draft this year after taking a forward with their first pick. Said guy could have been young and maybe a two year project.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

"Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League" Empty Re: "Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League"

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Good article and pretty spot on. Gerschon played mostly center in summer league due to roster considerations. He is a natural PF who would be counted on to play the 5 in small ball. I'm pretty sure he weighs a little over 270 not 260. When ever you worry about his weight, take a look at that foto with his shirt off. Like Brown, he needs hours in the gym working on his game. I'm hoping he stays. The money is too good in Europe for him to take a DLeague contract but playing in Maine, in the Celtics system, when not with the C's, would further his development more than a return across the pond. Final decision might depend on if Danny has a whale of tale to tell when he gets back to Boston.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:38 pm

wideclyde wrote:Although he has only been on TV a few times so far, I fear that this guy may just not be tall enough (like Sullinger) to play defense against considerably taller players.

He appears quicker than Sullinger and seems to has much better outside shot mechanics so he may just not play much center which means that we are still searching for a center.

It has nothing to do with Yabusele, but I was hoping that the Cs would have drafted a center with their second pick in the draft this year after taking a forward with their first pick.  Said guy could have been young and maybe a two year project.

did you hear of Zizic?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Cowens,

I do realize that Zizic was drafted, but he is not going to be with us this year.

Not saying the Yabusele is not a good pick, but he is not a center due to being 6'8". I guess that there is still a center to be signed or traded for before pre season begins.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:54 pm

clyde I agree with you Yabu doesn't have the length to play center full time, are you sure about Zizic? we need a rebounding physical big.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:46 pm

wideclyde wrote:Cowens,

I do realize that Zizic was drafted, but he is not going to be with us this year.

Not saying the Yabusele is not a good pick, but he is not a center due to being 6'8".  I guess that there is still a center to be signed or traded for before pre season begins.

I center definitely still needs to be added.

From everything I'd heard, Zizic was ahead of Yabusele and even Zubac as far as being NBA ready, especially when it came to rebounding, which is what we'll need most and is really the only area we get weaker in when upgrading from Sully to Horford. Strange that he was shipped off so quickly for a year. But hopefully Danny has a plan to add a big man. 

There were no NBA ready centers Danny passed on in between drafting Yabu at 16 and Zizic at 23. I thought both guys were options prior to the draft, especially Zizic, but that it would be Zizic going at 16.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:12 pm

the only thing that I can think of is that Zizic had a contract he couldn't get out of because he sure sounds like our rim/rebounding big of the future. Both of these guys are the future barring some kind of homerun with fireworks by Danny over the next year.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Very frustrating that Zizic was stashed against his will this year. We were lucky he was still there at 23 where we got him.

We could have had Zubac too at 31 but traded the pick. He looks NBA ready like I'm sure Zizic is NBA ready.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:56 am

arambone wrote:Very frustrating that Zizic was stashed against his will this year. We were lucky he was still there at 23 where we got him.

We could have had Zubac too at 31 but traded the pick. He looks NBA ready like I'm sure Zizic is NBA ready.

In 3 years when the Celtics finally know if they get a 1st rd pick from the Grizzlies (via the Clippers) for picks 31 and 35 this year I think fans will be VERY disappointed in knowing they could have had Zubac or Deyonta Davis with pick 31 and could have had Patrick McCaw, Zimmerman, Brogden , Onuaku or even Zhou Qui. At least 3-4 of those players will be very useful rotation guys or borderline starters in 3 years.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:14 am

I was puzzled why we didn't keep Deytona Davis too, only a freshman, read alot of good things about him, a 6'10" athlete with the attributes you want in a big. I understand hes raw, but if hes the next Dale Davis well lets hope Zizic is the real deal and can get his ass over here.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 am

Everyone is good at addition and thinks they know what's good for the Celtics via the draft better than Danny, but Danny actually needs to be good at calculus to figure out all the implications of the draft. Factors include talent, age, cap space, # of players on the roster, trade possibilities, Euro stashing possibilities, height, weight, wing span, roster needs, years left on existing contracts, inquiries from other clubs, future likely draft picks etc. etc. etc.

That's why I'm loathe to criticize him at this point.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 am

I don't believe there is any actual decision made yet as to "stashing or not stashing" Zizic or Yabu yet.  That decision is waiting on many things, one of which is how the roster may change due to a trade or trades.  Yabu was available for summer league, Zizic was not.  I wouldn't read anything into that in regards as to who may be available to the Celtics next season.

The first thing the Celtics have to do with each is have the players buy out their current European team contracts.  I don't think the Celtics can pony up the cash, it has to come from the players.  I read that even if the players do that, Zizic and Yabu may then sign with another European team, this time with a free get out of Europe card.

There is another thing to consider with these European players.  If they stay over there for three years, they may be of an age that no longer falls under the rookie salary scale.  Then they can sign for a higher salary right off the bat.  If a player waits one year, what's another couple years?  They may get a better salary for those three years than the NBA rookie scale allows and then start out in the NBA with a much higher salary.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:56 am

In regards to trading away the two early second round picks, I believe if Danny had used them, the roster just could not accept that many new players.  What possible use would it be to draft even more players that could be "useful rotational guys" in three or so years?  We already are in a roster crunch with the picks that Danny did use.  Jackson and Bentil may not even make the team, while Nader may.  Throw two more "not ready for prime time players" into the mix and we could end up losing four players that we drafted that would end up on other teams. Wouldn't Celtics fans be more likely to howl because of that?

There is only 15 roster spots and many here have already come to the conclusion that one player already under contract (Young) should be traded, and if that is not possible, just buy him out.

The way he traded picks 31 and 35 for a possible future first round pick was the same tactic that Bill Belichick uses. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. At least now, it puts another arrow in Danny's quiver that can be included in a trade long before the actual draft pick is ready to use.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 5 minutes ago
According to a league source, Celtics 1st-rd pick Guerschon Yabusele has agreed to a 1-year deal w/Shanghai Sharks: bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics…

Reply Retweet Like

Celtics forward Guerschon Yabusele, the 16th overall pick of last month’s NBA Draft, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Shanghai Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association, according to a league source. With bonuses, Yabusele could make up to $1.5 million next season, the source said. The Celtics will still hold Yabusele’s NBA rights. 2 mins ago – via Boston Globe

bob
MY NOTE:  What this says to me is that either there is no big blockbuster that will open up roster spots because we are trading multiple players for a single one OR maybe we're getting Okafor and there's our beef and won't need Yabusele to replace Sully.  Interesting that he is going to China and not back to Europe.  I'm sure the Celtics had something to say about this.  The roster of the Shanghai Sharks have no NBAers on it.  Could it be the timing of their seasons?  It seems to me that players in China are available to return to the NBA sooner than European-based players.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Imagine Yabu up against the more slender Chinese. Boom.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:10 pm

worcester wrote:Imagine Yabu up against the more slender Chinese. Boom.

Splat.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Brian Robb
Brian Robb
@CelticsHub about 1 hour ago
With Zizic and Yabusele being stashed, Celtics will have 13 players signed to guaranteed contracts once Jaylen Brown signs his deal.

Reply Retweet Like

bob
MY NOTE:  As I said on another thread, I was and am not worried about getting down to the 15 man limit.  Danny knows all about it...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:24 pm

One year contract is short and if Boston decides that they needed him to come over this year then Danny will buy out the contract.

Danny is still working on a deal I am sure to add that big.  Philly is a very likely trading partner but i would think that they would want one of the Nets 1st rounders and Terry Rozier.  The 2017 pick should be off limits unless Boston is adding a Westbrook level talent.

Still plenty of time to get some things done.  Worse case is that the Celtics come back this year with Al Horford, a developing wing in Brown and a backup PG in Rozier that its on the rise.

That is a lot of improvement over the summer.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 pm

An awful lot of ink about BIGS that figure to be backups at best - especially when Danny lands another big man with genuine existing nba center-center forward credentials (a player who already is a 28 minute per game player) to play along side of Horford.

swish

Last edited by swish on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sentence structure change.)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Zizic could very well be that center NEXT year.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:41 am

At this point I'm kind of bummed out that the two guys I really wanted to see make this team are getting stashed Let me hit that koolaide one more time. MMMM As I was saying, Danny intends to add some proven talent to fill the remaining roster spots. He is going for a marked improvement in record and playoff seeding and doesn't feel adding two more rookies will help that cause. That should be a nice payday for Gerschon. The team is owned by Yao Ming. Looks like there schedule is Oct-Mar.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:03 am

worcester wrote:Zizic could very well be that center NEXT year.

Don't bet on it - the odds are very much against it.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:59 am

https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/756204439334256641/photo/1

Scott Souza
‏@Scott_Souza
Guerschon Yabusele will undoubtedly be on fast track to Stephon Marbury status in China. #BigDancingBear #Celtics

"Guerschon Yabusele's Potential Was On Full Display In Summer League" Cn6T6wsXEAA5Ejr

RETWEETS

12:09 PM - 21 Jul 2016

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Swish, you don't think Zizic will be playing center for the Celts in 2017-18 or you don't think he'll be good at it?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next